IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback upgrade help...

YerOut

Hello guys.  I'm momentarily out of lurk mode and am trying to contact Byte Knight.  Emailed and PM'd about 8 days ago with no reply.  Appears he was last here in Dec 21.  Hope he is well.  

I'm looking for anyone willing to upgrade my Flashback similar to Byte Knight's standards.  Any takers?

I have a Microcenter about 40 miles from me,  last time I went, they had a few.  1 and 2Gb  I didn't see a 4GB...

Oh and "kits' with power supply, case and 2 mini hdmi cables etc.  but it was $$$$.  But if it is the only way to get one, I guess I have wasted money worse ways.

hmm,  just looked at the site and they have nothing.. No 3's even.

I have 3 or 4 of them not being used, I should have grabbed a 4...  But I wanted the 4GB. :(

I don't have a Micro Center near me. It's about 6-7 hours away. 

They do not normally ship bare Pi (at least not the cheap models) and like you mentioned, a kit is a waste of money.  

Adafruit is perpetually out of stock, too. 

I'd also like a PI4 2gb or 4gb at most. And I really want the newly released Pi0-2-W

Side question: does the term "coyote" have any meaning to you? :lolblue:

I'd really like to find someone that could go to Micro Center for me and then mail the Pi(s) to me :)

14 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

I don't have a Micro Center near me. It's about 6-7 hours away. 

They do not normally ship bare Pi (at least not the cheap models) and like you mentioned, a kit is a waste of money.  

Adafruit is perpetually out of stock, too. 

I'd also like a PI4 2gb or 4gb at most. And I really want the newly released Pi0-2-W

Side question: does the term "coyote" have any meaning to you? :lolblue:

I'd really like to find someone that could go to Micro Center for me and then mail the Pi(s) to me :)

Hi FDR, @fdr4prez

In your signature it says 'The Ultimate Intellivision Controller.' What is this all about? Do you have a modded Inty Controller or know someone who makes one or do you make them? I'd be VERY interested in learning more about this and would definitely buy a few. Let me know. Thx.... Rickster8 ?

Edited by Rickster8
Wording

24 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Hi FDR, @fdr4prez

In your signature it says 'The Ultimate Intellivision Controller.' What is this all about? Do you have a modded Inty Controller or know someone who makes one or do you make them? I'd be VERY interested in learning more about this and would definitely buy a few. Let me know. Thx.... Rickster8 ?

@Rickster8 I saw your PM, so I will reply to that, too.

Those are actually links in my signature, so you can click on them to learn more, but for some reason the text wasn't blue like normal links are, so I just now changed the color manually.

The Ultimate Intellivision Controller is not a replacement controller. It is a standard Inty controller that has a Raspberry Pi Zero and a Raphnet adapter attached to the underside of the controller.  It is my version of the old all-in-one plug&play units.  I use it while I travel for business trips.

Please click on the link for more info about it, but it will not solve your dilemma.

Your best bet would be to track down an Intellivision Flashback and use those controllers.  You can get on the waiting list for adapter cables so you can connect them to your 2609 or IntyII console.  Or make your own adapter cables :) 

And as luck would have it, I did start to develop a replacement controller for the Intellivision, but for a variety of reasons I've not been able to make progress in this project.  At this time i do not have an ETA for it.  

And someone else also started a bluetooth/USB adapter for the Intellivision for modern controllers/gamepads, but I do not know the current status of that project:

BT/USB Adapter for Intellivision - Intellivision / Aquarius - AtariAge Forums

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

@Rickster8 I saw your PM, so I will reply to that, too.

Those are actually links in my signature, so you can click on them to learn more, but for some reason the text wasn't blue like normal links are, so I just now changed the color manually.

The Ultimate Intellivision Controller is not a replacement controller. It is a standard Inty controller that has a Raspberry Pi Zero and a Raphnet adapter attached to the underside of the controller.  It is my version of the old all-in-one plug&play units.  I use it while I travel for business trips.

Please click on the link for more info about it, but it will not solve your dilemma.

Your best bet would be to track down an Intellivision Flashback and use those controllers.  You can get on the waiting list for adapter cables so you can connect them to your 2609 or IntyII console.  Or make your own adapter cables :) 

And as luck would have it, I did start to develop a replacement controller for the Intellivision, but for a variety of reasons I've not been able to make progress in this project.  At this time i do not have an ETA for it.  

And someone else also started a bluetooth/USB adapter for the Intellivision for modern controllers/gamepads, but I do not know the current status of that project:

BT/USB Adapter for Intellivision - Intellivision / Aquarius - AtariAge Forums

I don't know if you got to try an Amico controller?  I have, they are slick and comfortable.

I would like receiver that plugged into the intellvision controller ports, and let you use the Amico controllers remotely.   Also, let you select the overly image.

This would be a great gift to the retro community.  But, at this point, I just want an Amico.  Any additional dreams are to much to ask for.

22 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

I don't know if you got to try an Amico controller?  I have, they are slick and comfortable.

I have not.

22 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

I would like receiver that plugged into the intellvision controller ports, and let you use the Amico controllers remotely.   Also, let you select the overly image.

This would be a great gift to the retro community.  But, at this point, I just want an Amico.  Any additional dreams are to much to ask for.

Yes, but unfortunately the retro Inty consoles do not have a power pin on the controllers, so something like this and the BT/USB adapter I linked to above will require a power cord running to the adapter.  

Oh, and my Intellistick project will also need a microUSB cable running to it to power the internal board.  But I've been contemplating doing a rechargeable battery, but this is lower on my priority list for that project as it will add a charging circuit to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YerOut said:

Wow!  I had no idea Pi's were that scarce.  No Pi, No upgrade.  Oh well.  Thanks for the replies and here is to Byte Knights health.Summer Drinking GIF by bubly

Do you follow the RetroPie scene at all?  If so, they just released a new version of RP 4.8.  It's a lot better than previous and has a lot of great additions.   I have a Pi3b+ and run just about everything up till the N64/PS1/Dreamcast era.

If you moved up to a Pi4 you'd be building off of that image anyway.  If he does reply, I'd like to talk to him about helping out with getting JzIntv working on the new version. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

Do you follow the RetroPie scene at all?  If so, they just released a new version of RP 4.8.  It's a lot better than previous and has a lot of great additions.   I have a Pi3b+ and run just about everything up till the N64/PS1/Dreamcast era.

If you moved up to a Pi4 you'd be building off of that image anyway.  If he does reply, I'd like to talk to him about helping out with getting JzIntv working on the new version. 

I have all of my Intellivision and Colecovision games on my Ultimate.  I have a few C64 and 7800 games also.  I would like to play a few PS1 games too.  But I don't have anything EMU wise to do that really.

Of course PC, but It would be nice on the PI. 

IE, please let AtGames do another console and/or release replacement controllers!

• Like 1

You can run a lot of PC games on a Pi3b+ up until the Doom/Duke Nuke'em era.  No 3D stuff.  Once it gets to the mid-90's, it's really tough on the less Pi.

There are two emulators that work really well for Dos based games.  DosBox-Staging and lr-dosbox-pure.   "Pure" is simple to setup and runs a lot... in fact, with the new version, some of the older games you actually need to degrade the emulator to play them.  DosBox Staging is basically DosBox tweaked to run well on the Pi format.

Everything else you mention, as you know, works great on the Pi.