IGNORED

Atari 5200 S-Video Mod Issues

Tempest

I question for all of you who have an S-Video mod on their 5200.  Do you have problems with color bleed, especially blue? 

The reason I ask is that I have an old S-Video mod that Electronic Sentimentalities did for me about 5 or so years ago.  The video quality is good, but the more I look at it, the more problems I'm seeing.  The worst issue is that there is some color bleed/shadow on certain colors, but blue is the worst.  Secondly I've noticed a few games have some odd color 'artifacts'.  For example the background in Keystone Kapers is supposed to be a solid green, but on my system there are weird yellow 'streaks' that appear to be evenly spaced throughout (see pic).

I'm wondering if these issues are due to the mod that was used, the 5200 itself, or the monitor I'm using.  I'm using a Sony PVM 1943-MD which is a really nice monitor for RGB, but it's possible that it has bad S-Video or is just wearing out.  I was able to hook my 5200 to my 5X Pro on a modern TV and while the blue bleed was reduced greatly (although it's still there), you can still see the weird yellow streaks in Keystone Kapers. 

Any ideas on what could be wrong?  Do all 5200 S-Video mods have these kind of issues?

Here are some pictures, I had to take them with my iPhone and it seems to want to lighten and 'fix' the images so some oddities (like Officer Kelly's buttons not showing) aren't really there.  They do show the other issues I'm talking about quite well though.

PVM

------

keystone_pvm.thumb.jpg.bef2023a6aac007f979e8ef8f86f301e.jpg

5X Pro

--------

keystone_5x.thumb.jpg.a81902f982c9970a998fd83de5bf0498.jpg

Blue Bleed Issue (PVM)

--------------------------------

bluebleed.thumb.jpg.4d67f160b3e38e8d35b099af2df5ad37.jpg

Blue Bleed (5X Pro)

----------------------------

bluebleed_5x.thumb.jpg.bd280f10a3e7a65e5459110a1a2f110a.jpg

I would say that the blue bleed and shadow is normal. Here are direct captures from my 5200 that has the exact same composite/s-video upgrade board as yours. Only I installed mine about 7 years ago and aside from minor wire cleanup over the years, I've not messed with it or replaced it out with anything as I've been pretty happy with it. My systems go into my Extron 7SC, that outputs all signals as a 480P output. From there I usually view using a 2x scaling profile from my OSSC. But my capture device does not accept anything other than 720p and 1080p so I have to use passthrough mode with my extron set at 1080P output. I state this because the actual screen images I get on my TV are sharper and more vibrant than what the capture device images show below.

I've attached a capture from Keystone Kapers and the DK conversion for examples from my 5200. Click the images for full size.

Here is Keystone Kapers.

vlcsnap-2022-03-30-19h46m58s896.thumb.png.4f6e227ab3b35bd5bca77b5f788d3a07.png

And here is the DK conversion.

vlcsnap-2022-03-30-19h50m56s651.thumb.png.b29a5fb6665c269f56472ab45f3ec058.png