IGNORED

Amiga 500+ CIA B issue...

kbj

Hey All,

I'm repairing a 500+ that I picked up and with AmigaTestKit running the CIA tests, it's reporting an IRQ failure on CIA B - but everything is good with CIA A. When I swap around the chips, the failure stays with CIA B (even though the working CIA A 8520 is now in that socket).

Any ideas? Is there anything else I can check?

Cheers,

KbJ

CIA-B uses INT6, so it's possible there's an issue with the traces on that line somewhere. INT6 is pin 21 of CIA-B, and it goes to Paula pin 18 as well as the side expansion port. It should also have a 10k pull-up resistor to 5V, so check continuity between those pins and resistance to ground and 5V, see if anything is amiss.

The Paula socket sometimes gets corroded when there's been a leaky battery - the Gary socket is usually far worse, but it might be that the Paula socket needs to be changed.

@Daedalus2097 Appreciate that!  I was looking at the schematics just now and see that.  The Paula socket looks fine - the Gary socket not so much - that and the Agnus socket are pretty green in bits.  I'll meter it out as you say, but may just replace the Gary socket and see where I am.

Thanks for the advice!

KbJ

@Daedalus2097 Replaced the Gary socket as the Paula socket metered out just fine - and also replaced the Angus socket as that looked pretty corroded once I'd removed Agnus from it.

No change mind you - and I checked the continuity of the INT6 line - all good to everywhere it went.  There is a bit of corrosion on U10,11,12 and 13 - especially 12/13.  I think they're more to do with the data path to memory though?

KbJ

Yeah, they're the data bus to the custom chips (including chip RAM). Strange that everything's checking out. Do you have a scope? It might be worth checking if the interrupt line is actually triggering during the test. It's unusual but it does happen that Paula can be faulty.

Hey @Daedalus2097  - I replaced Paula from a working board and same issue.  It may be worth checking with a scope anyhow I guess in case there is some weird issue with the board itself - even though I already metered it out and it looked fine.  I could also put this Paula in the other board to make sure it works.

I'll give that a go.  Just waiting on new sockets so that I can replace the Paula socket.

Cheers for the help!

KbJ