IGNORED

Tomb Raider on Jaguar Question

LamontCranston

I've looked on some web pages saying that some playsation games like Tomb Raider, Tekken, and MK3 were going to be on the Jaguar. Assuming Atari never got to these projects before it all ended, would it be possible to just get those playstation games and convert them somehow?

Some sources say that Tomb Raider actually began life as a Jaguar game, but when Atari tanked they took the title to other platforms.

I've looked on some web pages saying that some playsation games like Tomb Raider, Tekken, and MK3 were going to be on the Jaguar. Assuming Atari never got to these projects before it all ended, would it be possible to just get those playstation games and convert them somehow?

Some sources say that Tomb Raider actually began life as a Jaguar game, but when Atari tanked they took the title to other platforms.

Did they start on it for the Jag? If so how far in the programming did they get? I would love to see just a Demo of it! :love: :love:

I would love to have seen Tomb Raider on the Jaguar. That game helped sell the PS and I am sure if it was done right that it would have helped sell the Jaguar and maybe the Jaguar might still be around in an enhanced form like the Jaguar 2 or 3.

Then again, no one ever confused the Tramiels with intelligence :P

I have a magazine that talks about TR being developed on both the Jaguarcd and 3DO, not sure if any work was actually done for either though. I'm sure both would have been comparible to the Saturn/PSX versions, maybe a shorter draw-in distance or less textures...I'm sure they would have been just as fun to play.

Since making backups for a game is legal if u own it' date=' wouldn't it be legal to distrubute tomb raider for the jaguar and include either the psx or saturn version, with a hole drilled in the cd (so u own 1 legal copy of the game)?[/quote']

huh? :?

it is also illegal to sell without permission. You would have to provide royalties to the copyright holder. It's also illegal to reverse engineer and to modify. So you would be allowed a backup, which would be valid, but a port to the jag is not a backup as you would have to modify the original which is not permitted.

it is also illegal to sell without permission. You would have to provide royalties to the copyright holder. It's also illegal to reverse engineer and to modify. So you would be allowed a backup' date=' which would be valid, but a port to the jag is not a backup as you would have to modify the original which is not permitted.[/quote']

I bet that if you wrote your own version from scratch and only used it for your own personal use and did not give it away or sell it or distribute it in any way, that it would perhaps be legal. Much like the right you have to play popular songs on your own instruments as long as you don't sell recordings of it.

it is also illegal to sell without permission. You would have to provide royalties to the copyright holder. It's also illegal to reverse engineer and to modify. So you would be allowed a backup' date=' which would be valid' date=' but a port to the jag is not a backup as you would have to modify the original which is not permitted.[/quote'']

I bet that if you wrote your own version from scratch and only used it for your own personal use and did not give it away or sell it or distribute it in any way, that it would perhaps be legal. Much like the right you have to play popular songs on your own instruments as long as you don't sell recordings of it.

Hmm I wonder, I can't say 100% (no CD's to hand) but is there any part of the legal bumf that says you can reverse engineer a song? I know you can often buy sheet music for most songs out there I always assumed that buying this permitted you to play the song. You can of course guess the notes and intenation,.. but most software I have seen explicitly says you cannot reverse engineer the software for your own ammusement or otherwise.

I wonder if anyone wants Tomb Raider on the Jag THAT badly tho ;)

it is also illegal to sell without permission. You would have to provide royalties to the copyright holder. It's also illegal to reverse engineer and to modify. So you would be allowed a backup' date=' which would be valid' date=' but a port to the jag is not a backup as you would have to modify the original which is not permitted.[/quote'']

Hmm I wonder, I can't say 100% (no CD's to hand) but is there any part of the legal bumf that says you can reverse engineer a song? I know you can often buy sheet music for most songs out there I always assumed that buying this permitted you to play the song. You can of course guess the notes and intenation,.. but most software I have seen explicitly says you cannot reverse engineer the software for your own ammusement or otherwise.

I wonder if anyone wants Tomb Raider on the Jag THAT badly tho ;)

I didn't say "reverse engineer" the software. I said that if you sat down and made your own version for your own pleasure and your own play, that you can probably do so.

People don't need to "guess" the music, as I know plenty of people who can play any song they hear perfectly. In fact, I can probably whistle or hum a million tunes I don't own, or sing plenty of songs I have heard on the radio.

But what I mean is this. Say I play a game like Tomb Raider and I like it and I sit down and make my own version from scratch. As long as I don't distribute it then I am probably okay. In fact, if I play a game at a trade show and go home and make my own version, I'm probably perfectly legal having never installed the actual work and therefore never agreeing to any licensing. Once again, if it's just for me to write and play and NOT distribute in any way, then I think it's okay.

I didn't say "reverse engineer" the software. I said that if you sat down and made your own version for your own pleasure and your own play' date=' that you can probably do so.[/quote']

Ah right I get what you mean, like write your own version and call it something completely different with your own graphics and story, just more a similar game of the same genre.

People don't need to "guess" the music' date=' as I know plenty of people who can play any song they hear perfectly. In fact, I can probably whistle or hum a million tunes I don't own, or sing plenty of songs I have heard on the radio. [/quote']

I am meaning for an exact perfect representation of it. I too know annoying people who can hear a song and then play it .

But what I mean is this. Say I play a game like Tomb Raider and I like it and I sit down and make my own version from scratch. As long as I don't distribute it then I am probably okay. In fact' date=' if I play a game at a trade show and go home and make my own version, I'm probably perfectly legal having never installed the actual work and therefore never agreeing to any licensing. Once again, if it's just for me to write and play and NOT distribute in any way, then I think it's okay.[/quote']

I get you now. yeah that would be legal, assuming you didn't steal trademarked bits of their game. Although hasn't there been court cases where people have sued for people producing things that were a little too similar?