IGNORED

Linking Atari 2600s?

Domeshtan

Had a weird idea. I was thinking of my last game. (Solo Mahjong) I knew I couldn't add 3 computer opponents with only 128 bytes of RAM. Then I thought "How about 2 human players?" That couldn't work because the other player could see your tiles. Kinda like playing Gin Rummy but your opponent could see your cards.... 

Then I thought about that Atari Vox thing. I don't have one but doesn't it plug into the second controler port? It would have to be sending signals somehow so it knows what to say for the words. So that got me thinking...

Is it possible to hook up 2 Atari 2600s linked together with some kind of dual 9 pin connector cable thru the player 2 ports to sync them up? Like two Atari 2600s running the same game, one as the master and the other syncing up with the info needed. Two different T.V.s each displaying different info for each player. First controler port on each unit could be used for whatever controler. 

Just a hypothetical question but seemed interesting.

Edited by Domeshtan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Domeshtan said:

Is it possible to hook up 2 Atari 2600s linked together with some kind of dual 9 pin connector cable thru the player 2 ports to sync them up?

I've definitely been waiting for someone to release a homebrew with this capability, I've never heard of a game doing this yet either. There's a lot of game possibilities that could be opened up by not being able to see the other person's screen while playing head to head!

- James

Another use for this is to have a second or maybe even a third 2600 simply displaying secondary game information (a map or an inventory screen in an RPG, for instance).

Or similarly, to provide peripheral vision, like in the TX-1 arcade game.

Worth experimenting with I think.

Didn't even think about having extra monitors for the same player like TX-1, Punch Out, etc. Quite an idea for the theoretical aspect. Atari 2600 Darius 3 screens wide in all its pixelated glory. Champ Games can probably pull it off. ;) Just think... Tripling sales on the same game! Lol!

30 minutes ago, Domeshtan said:

Didn't even think about having extra monitors for the same player like TX-1, Punch Out, etc. Quite an idea for the theoretical aspect. Atari 2600 Darius 3 screens wide in all its pixelated glory. Champ Games can probably pull it off. ;) Just think... Tripling sales on the same game! Lol!

With enough linked machines and the screens at a suitable viewing distance, you could make an effective "high-resolution" display.

Something like 10 years ago, I build a prototype of a link cable:

You can use it to transfer bits from one console to another using a control port, and it's also rather cheap and easy to build. Nevertheless, no one was interested back then, and I don't do games, only demos. So this project never left prototype state. The biggest problem was, that it's just the low level sending and receiving of bits, duplex without timing constrains, as everything is buffered. So to use it for something really useful, there still is the need for a layer above that, that handles initial handshaking, check for data integrity, etc.

But if you want to pick it up now, I can still help you.

• Like 3

This is possible, you can even use the seconds 2600 in "slave mode", and get the data "streamed" over the control port. But if I hear a musician complain about the 2600 it's never about "just two channels", but the "off tune".

How about four player capture the flag where  two 2600s are linked and both have the quadtari.  That would make a marauder like hidden until in line of sight situation.  I think the best use of hidden movement games, considering the difficulty of setting up something like this would be a 2v2.