IGNORED

This kind of irks me.

maibock

Both my kids have a GBA and I try to stay clear of them, since I'm thoroughly(and biasly) convinced that a Sega Nomad is a much better system than a GBA :ponder:

Regardless of my opinions, let me reflect upon what took place yesterday afternoon. My younger son, was over at a buddy's house for a few hours and came back with a borrowed game. It was Madden 2004 for the GBA. Being a fan of Madden and owning a boatload of Madden titles, I decided to try it out and I was quite surprised. It looked like an exact rip off of one of the earlier Madden games. I'm guessing Madden '95, but I really need to check each year to make sure. Only the rosters and the team logos seemed to be the only things updated. This is just amazing to me.

Are most of the GBA titles just ports of other console games?

I don't understand why anybody bitches about the choice of SNES ports to the GBA. The SNES is one of the greatest consoles of all time and I'm happy to have portable versions of its games.

Maybe people want "deeper" games, more PS1 like or whatever. I don't. In a portable, I want relatively simple (controls and concept) and fun. The GBA games are just like that. I think it's a great portable, maybe the best there is right now.

In a portable, I want relatively simple (controls and concept) and fun.  The GBA games are just like that.  I think it's a great portable, maybe the best there is right now.

I can certainly appreciate that, but it just struck me as odd when I played the Madden 2004 game and it was pretty much the same game as I was playing on the Nomad(with a headphone port! and it was backlit!) which is what about 8-9 years old?

In a portable, I want relatively simple (controls and concept) and fun.  The GBA games are just like that.  I think it's a great portable, maybe the best there is right now.

I can certainly appreciate that, but it just struck me as odd when I played the Madden 2004 game and it was pretty much the same game as I was playing on the Nomad(with a headphone port! and it was backlit!) which is what about 8-9 years old?

True, but the SP is backlit and the battery life is way better on the GBA too. Wasn't the the Nomad WAY more expensive then a GBA when it came out also? The Nomad is incredibly cool, but I always liked the SNES better anyway. In fact I would rather a TurboExpress then a Nomad too. Genny games never grabbed me like Sega's other systems. I see your point about it seeming almost "retro" but I would rather that then overly complicated crappy 3D extravaganzas like the consoles are choking on today.

I almost picked up a $10 Game Gear this past weekend but after seeing how many batteries it needed, I passed. I simply don't like buying and constantly changing batteries. It didn't even come with a 9v adaptor so I didn't bother.

I want a GBA:SP though sometime.

You can always go with rechargable batteries, thats what I use in my GBC.

Well I'm leaning towards the GBA:SP but the only other portable systems I'm interested in are the Game Gear and the Atari Lynx. I don't see Lynxs around here but perhaps I should have picked up the Game Gear. I might make a return trip to the flea market where it's at.

Another good reason to get a Lynx is because it's the only Atari system I DON'T have besides the 2600/5200/7800/Jag.

You WANT a Lynx. It is an OUSTANDING system, let alone an amazing handheld. LOTS of excellent arcade ports like Klax, Rampart, Double Dragon, Rampage, Robotron, Ms. Pac-Man, Road Blasters, Ninja Gaiden... ohhh...

I LOVE the Lynx. And you can easily get a decent sized library of games for under $100. Many games can be had for $2-5 on eBay.

I don't understand why anybody bitches about the choice of SNES ports to the GBA. The SNES is one of the greatest consoles of all time and I'm happy to have portable versions of its games.

Maybe people want "deeper" games' date=' more PS1 like or whatever. I don't. In a portable, I want relatively simple (controls and concept) and fun. The GBA games are just like that. I think it's a great portable, maybe the best there is right now.[/quote']

That's fine for us, but unfortuantely, as handhelds evolve, players are going to flock to the most advanced portable.

I'm hoping Nintendo counters the PSP, I'd hate to see the Game Boy go. Though I do plan on getting a PSP (and an N-Gage, just for Tomb Raider :) ).

You WANT a Lynx. It is an OUSTANDING system' date=' let alone an amazing handheld.[/quote']

I love the Lynx too, but it's hard to promote it over the GBA. Frankly, many Lynx games are just too simple to compare to a lot of the GBA games out there. Games like Dirty Larry and Kung Food get old mighty fast. There are some amazing games for it (most of which you mentioned)... but I could never really advocate buying a Lynx instead of a GBA.

I've looked' date=' and most of the GBA's titles AREN'T SNES ports.[/quote']

Yeah, but there sure are a hell of a lot of them. I'd rather companies spend time making new games, or at least add significant content to these old games (levels, powerups, enemies, etc) instead of just repackaging it and charging another $40.

Funny... when you look back at things, the original Gameboy had a lot of NES ports, but no one really complained back then. I guess the novelty of portability has worn off slightly?

--Zero

I've looked' date=' and most of the GBA's titles AREN'T SNES ports.[/quote']

Yeah' date=' but there sure are a hell of a lot of them. I'd rather companies spend time making new games, or at least add significant content to these old games (levels, powerups, enemies, etc) instead of just repackaging it and charging another $40.

[/quote']

Oh, I'm not denying there's a lot. I just get sick of people going "Dude, the GBA has no games, it's all just SNES ports. Just get an SNES."

At best ports make about a third of the library.

And I'd settle for a friggin' resprite.

SNES sprites are just too big to remain playable on a GBA's lower resolution.

A common gripe with many of the ports is you can't see what you're supposed to be doing and wind up jumping into empty space on faith that a platform will be there.

Funny... when you look back at things, the original Gameboy had a lot of NES ports, but no one really complained back then. I guess the novelty of portability has worn off slightly?

--Zero

Probably.

I think the majority of them are ports of SNES games. That seems to be everybodies biggest complaint with Nintendo and the GBA.

Well, since most Gamboy players are kids/teens who have never seen A Link to the Past or Yoshi's Island, Nintendo could care less. These "old games" are brand-new to most of the GBA owners. Think of these old games like Gilligan's Island or Star Trek reruns... old to us, but constantly bringing in new fans among the <20 crowd.

You WANT a Lynx. It is an OUSTANDING system' date=' let alone an amazing handheld.[/quote']

I love the Lynx too' date=' but it's hard to promote it over the GBA. Frankly, many Lynx games are just too simple to compare to a lot of the GBA games out there. Games like Dirty Larry and Kung Food get old mighty fast. There are some amazing games for it (most of which you mentioned)... but I could never really advocate buying a Lynx instead of a GBA.[/quote']

If price were equal, I'd agree. But I can get a Lynx for $20-40 and a handuful of games for $5-20; vs. $80 and $20-30 per titles for GBA. I LIKE the GBA, but I haven't shelled out the $$ for it yet since there's only a few games I think I'd play very often.

Funny... when you look back at things' date=' the original Gameboy had a lot of NES ports, but no one really complained back then. I guess the novelty of portability has worn off slightly?[/quote']

Well, most of the original GB games were different versions of the NES games.. like Super Mario Land, Castlevania, TMNT, Final Fantasy.. same names, vastly different games. Also, the NES was the dominant system at the time the GB came out... the SNES is two generations behind.

It's obvious that these retro SNES games are being released on the GBA due to their popularity back in the day on the SNES.

Personally, I don't mind it, with games such as Advance Wars and Golden Sun, and other new games like the two new Castlevania's, it's great :)

Retro is becoming much more mainstream isn't it? I've seriously noticed that recently..

I just got an American GBA:SP recently :love:

I saw a Lynx once, but I didn't know much about them, I decided I wanted to buy it, then I went to the shop the next day and it had been sold :sad: it was expensive though.. (ebay price)

Oh' date=' I'm not denying there's a lot. I just get sick of people going "Dude' date=' the GBA has no games, it's all just SNES ports. Just get an SNES." At best ports make about a third of the library.[/quote'']

OK. Name the two-thirds of games that are not SNES ports AND worth playing.

Budget restrictions have prevented me from buying and playing every GBA game available, but as of yet, only 2 of the 7 games I own have had no redeeming value.

Phalanx(an SNES port, and the only one in my collection) and Robotech(GBA-exclusive).

I'm not going to copy/paste the GBA release list here and sort it by SNES-port/GBA-exclusive titles.

chaoticjelly: There's THREE GBA Castlevania games.

Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, and Aria of Sorrow.