IGNORED

Atari 800XL Keyboard Keeps Typing "N"

Bootay

59 minutes ago, Bootay said:

So this is a weird issue. My Atari 800XL now just continuously types the letter N. I took it apart and unplugged the keyboard ribbon cable and reseated it. The same thing occurrs. 

Anyone ever heard of this?

If the doctors tip doesn’t work and your mobo is socketed, re-seat the 4051 keyboard multiplexors and the Pokey. You could also take the Mylar out and clean it. If all else fails, buy a new Mylar from Best Electronics in San Jose’.

N key uses pins 7 & 10 - see if there is any damage or debris on the ribbon or the connector socket. you can also check the traces if you dismantle the keyboard.

it also might be worth popping the keycap off to see if it ceases or in case anything has got stuck under there

800xl_07.thumb.gif.d287d2fec40dea32b896a0eb3dc7cf28.gif

I had that happen on a 600XL a couple days after it arrived.  It was still under warranty so the vendor fixed it for me.  From what I recall he said that the keyboard shifted slightly (most likely due to shipping) and he was able to correct.  No issues since then.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 1:03 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

you have a screw or some screws slightly too tight near the key possibly... lessen the pressure slightly and it might just stop...

I finally got around to messing with this again. And this ended up being the problem. Weird. I don't even remember ever tighting the screw. Thank you all for the help. Appreciate it much!

• Like 3

On 4/14/2022 at 6:03 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

you have a screw or some screws slightly too tight near the key possibly... lessen the pressure slightly and it might just stop...

I wish 13 year old me had known this back in the day. Had to go 2 months with no Atari until my dad sourced another keyboard when the comma key did the same. That's 2 months I'll never get back...

Si

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 4/14/2022 at 1:03 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

On 5/5/2022 at 9:30 PM, Bootay said:

I finally got around to messing with this again. And this ended up being the problem. Weird. I don't even remember ever tighting the screw. Thank you all for the help. Appreciate it much!

No problem glad to help.