IGNORED

What's the most under-rated retail game on the Atari Jaguar?

Jag64

8 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

Syndicate!  I find it highly playable and fun, building up your team from nothing into a global megapower.  It's a PC port on console that plays much better than others due to the Jaguar's unique keypad.  And there's some good variety across the 50 missions.

I'm one of the very few who actually likes the game, apparently.  It does have a steep learning curve, as those controls take some practice.

Another vote for Syndicate here 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

Oh man...Baldies is great.  It has a quirky sense of humor that might not appeal to everyone.  But there's some good fun to be had there (and it usually has to do with stink bombs, landshark plagues, or helicopters).

I could never figure that game out back in the day. I was young though so I should give it another go.

On 4/19/2022 at 3:26 PM, zzip said:

Power Drive Rally

I love Power Drive Rally, but isn't it generally very well regarded?

On 4/19/2022 at 6:55 PM, jerseystyle said:

Baldies. Baldies forever. On cart, I’d second Power Drive Rally. Loved the headlight effect on night courses.

I love Baldies too. Have you defeated all 100 levels?

• Like 1

Pinball fantasies was one of my favorite games on Amiga, but today the music gives is too melancholic and I am tired of the tunes and the tables. Kept Ruiner at my game cleansing, since it is more unique in my eyes.

syndicate is cool, but never got into its logic… gone too.

penguins I +1 on, was the first game I completed on the system back in 2015, when I bought Jaguar.

Baldies was alot of fun, need to give it another spin some day and start over from lvl 1. If I understand it correctly the levels remember the player’s progress, and if you suck at level 9 that continued at level 10, not defaulting you at each level. Is that correct or am I dilutional (one do not excluding the other tho, lol) ???

= lots of strange game to enjoy if you like strange game. There were 1000+ strange games on Amiga so I do not bother the games are not top notch games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I love Power Drive Rally, but isn't it generally very well regarded?

I love Baldies too. Have you defeated all 100 levels?

I got very far into it, but considered the game unbeatable because of the frequent crashes. Congrats to you, as I searched the forums and found your thread where you completed the game. You are much faster in your level clears than me, as when I deep dived into this I calculated you needed about an hour to win a level (the way I was playing), compared to your 10 minutes per level.

• Like 1

New Jaguar owner here, so I cannot really comment much since I only own 2 games so far, but playing Syndicate for the first time and though it gets some mixed reviews I do enjoy it a lot.

It's definitely something else than what I've been playing the past few years and I welcome the slow pace for a change.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

I got very far into it, but considered the game unbeatable because of the frequent crashes. Congrats to you, as I searched the forums and found your thread where you completed the game. You are much faster in your level clears than me, as when I deep dived into this I calculated you needed about an hour to win a level (the way I was playing), compared to your 10 minutes per level.

I do not recall having a problem with the game crashing.  The intro animation did stop working on mine, but all the levels played fine.

Wait, on second thought I know what you are talking about.  If you played the level for quite a while and there were a lot of Baldies and Hairies running around the game could crash.  Usually that only happened if I tried the nuclear option so that everybody just fights if I recall correctly.

Ultra Vortek for me.  I read people dogging it all the time as a bad MK clone but I loved it!  The developers even used the characters in other games they did on other systems after that but really I think Ultra Vortek is super underrated fighter!  It even had modem support that was never used :)

• Like 4

Ruiner for me.  I can forgive the weird frame rate issues and choppiness and just enjoy it.  I do get a headache after about a half hour though...

11 minutes ago, The Helper said:

Ultra Vortek for me.  I read people dogging it all the time as a bad MK clone but I loved it!  The developers even used the characters in other games they did on other systems after that but really I think Ultra Vortek is super underrated fighter!  It even had modem support that was never used :)

Ultra Vortek with the speed up code is a pretty fun game.

Edited by Lost Monkey
Forgot something.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lost Monkey said:

Ruiner for me.  I can forgive the weird frame rate issues and choppiness and just enjoy it.  I do get a headache after about a half hour though...

Ultra Vortek with the speed up code is a pretty fun game.

I really liked Ruiner too.  I think High Voltage did a great job on this game and I spent alot of time on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeremiahjt said:

I have mentioned Baldies and Power Drive Rally already, but I will say Theme Park.  I know the game can be found on other systems, but I have spent a lot of time playing Theme Park on the Jaguar.

I never played Theme Park, but always wanted it - especially once I got burned out on Attack of the Mutant Penguins and Baldies. Although both always kept me coming back for more. Theme Park isn't a game I hear mentioned much. Nice to see it get some love.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jag64 said:

I never played Theme Park, but always wanted it - especially once I got burned out on Attack of the Mutant Penguins and Baldies. Although both always kept me coming back for more. Theme Park isn't a game I hear mentioned much. Nice to see it get some love.

Theme Park was cool until Rollercoaster Tycoon came along and did everything better.  Now Theme Park feels like the 'kiddie version' of that :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

New Jaguar owner here, so I cannot really comment much since I only own 2 games so far, but playing Syndicate for the first time and though it gets some mixed reviews I do enjoy it a lot.

It's definitely something else than what I've been playing the past few years and I welcome the slow pace for a change.

Just corius could y plix tel me whitch 2 games U got first?? My fist 2 was iron1 andf brutal footbolle sports.

hot 30+ hgames aday and stiil living my Jag!!!!!!!1111!!!!1

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jeremiahjt said:

I will say Theme Park.  I know the game can be found on other systems, but I have spent a lot of time playing Theme Park on the Jaguar.

Theme Park for me too. I'm not great at it but I like the Jag over PC version. The slow down time option on PC is nearly useless to me. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

On the Jag -20 slows things to a crawl allowing you to set-up your park comfortably before things go bananas with customers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zzip said:

Theme Park was cool until Rollercoaster Tycoon came along and did everything better.  Now Theme Park feels like the 'kiddie version' of that :)

I can't be alone in that I would play Theme Park quite a bit if only the SAVE feature was better integrated.

• Like 2

Despite its flaws, I always thought Hover Strike (cart) was a better game than most people gave it credit for. I'll also agree with the others about Syndicate, although truth be told that game plays much better with a mouse. 

• Like 2