IGNORED

Cleaning your Systems?

Its a good Night to clean some systems up so i started taking stuff apart. Im on my 3rd system and was wondering if anybody else does this when their bored? Im not anal or anything. I just hate dirt and dust on the internal parts.

If yes, do you use Alcohol? Soap & water? Bourbon? ..or what?

20220419_232724.jpg

Edited by Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog

Yes, I do.  In fact, I do it as soon as I buy anything from eBay or any other source.  Most recently an old Jerrod cable box, a 19" TV, and a VCR from the early 80s.

Everything is dismantled and all the plastics are washed thoroughly in soap and water.

Nothing wrong with doing that, even on your own systems.  Doesn't hurt to keep everything clean.

I clean all of my consoles upon purchase.  I use soap and warm water, various brushes, alcohol, Goo-Gone, and other things where appropriate.  You can use a "spray wax" on some plastics to make it look better.  I use Pledge and apply it to a cloth or a paper towel to apply to plastics.  Some folks use other plastic conditioning products.  I also straighten cables with a heat gun or hair dryer (be careful).

I also de-ox and lubricate switches, buttons and card slots where appropriate.

Sick story... I once bought a well preserved Sears SVA off of eBay.  I decided to take it apart even though it looked pretty good... only to find it was infested with Stink Bugs!   I sent the guy an email and he told me it was in his attic for years.   He contacted me a week later to tell me he had to have his entire house sprayed as they were tons of them in the crevices of his attic and ceilings.

You really HAVE to take everything apart immediately when buying old stuff online.  You just never know.

8 hours ago, KylJoy said:

I also de-ox and lubricate switches, buttons and card slots where appropriate.

That Deoxit really is the holy grail.  I bought 2 non-working Colecovisions with 6 non working controllers this week.  A little spray in the sexy parts and I now have 6 working controllers and 2 working Colecovisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sinjinhawke said:

That Deoxit really is the holy grail.  I bought 2 non-working Colecovisions with 6 non working controllers this week.  A little spray in the sexy parts and I now have 6 working controllers and 2 working Colecovisions.

Please elaborate on your cleaning process with Deoxit.

I just sprayed Deoxit on the switches and contacts inside the controllers and let them sit a while.  I also sprayed Deoxit into the power switch on the Colecos and let it sit for a couple hours.  Apparently those power switches are notorious for corrosion and goop buildup when interrupts the power flow and results in corrupt displays.  Wiped up what I could.  Would be better to remove he switch and properly clean it but this seems to work.

For folks who are having trouble getting Deoxit, I find Nu-Trol Contact Cleaner spray to be just as good.  Nu-Trol products are made in Canada so it can be easier to find there as well in some bordering parts of the USA.

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/electronics-maintenance/specialized-cleaners/nutrol-control-cleaner/

401B-140G.thumb.png.7cf7231722a1a95d28b8409d42b75c5e.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

For folks who are having trouble getting Deoxit, I find Nu-Trol Contact Cleaner spray to be just as good.  Nu-Trol products are made in Canada so it can be easier to find there as well in some bordering parts of the USA.

https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/electronics-maintenance/specialized-cleaners/nutrol-control-cleaner/

401B-140G.thumb.png.7cf7231722a1a95d28b8409d42b75c5e.png

In Canada we rub this all over our bodies  when we wrestle with beavers and moose. 
?? 

• Haha 4

On 4/19/2022 at 11:46 PM, IMBerzerk said:

Sick story... I once bought a well preserved Sears SVA off of eBay.  I decided to take it apart even though it looked pretty good... only to find it was infested with Stink Bugs!   I sent the guy an email and he told me it was in his attic for years.   He contacted me a week later to tell me he had to have his entire house sprayed as they were tons of them in the crevices of his attic and ceilings.

You really HAVE to take everything apart immediately when buying old stuff online.  You just never know.

Yep, thats one of the reasons I leave new buys in my garage for a month or two. Give the creepy-crawlies a chance to leave or die in the cold.

Also laziness.

• Like 1