IGNORED

8-bit Gauntlet

RangerG

It only came out on disk in the U.S. I don't know about anywhere else. It plays fantastic, I believe upto three people at a time? I think there is a proto of Guantlet 2 for it too, I think I've seen it on ftp's. There is also a game called Dark Chamber's and one called Sarecen that are very similiar and pretty good too. There have been one or two p.d. clones made of it and a German(?) or Polish(?) or other european commercial game that is very much like it. Then there's a classic rpg that is similiar to it called Telengard and one called Temple of Aphsai Trilogy which started out as three separate games; Temple, upper reaches, and one other. The trilogy revamped the original graphics. This trilogy orininally came out on cassette. Alright, maybe that was more than you wanted to know...

U.S. Gold put out an A8 version of Gauntlet on disk. 1 or 2 players can choose any of the four heroes and have at it. The graphics, sounds and gameplay are as good as you could ever expect from the trusty 8-bit. As Gunstar said, it is very well done.

They also released an add-on disk with new maps called Gauntlet: Deeper Dungeons.

Ahh, Telengard. The first BASIC game I ever really got into. The code was insane, though

-El D.

• 6 years later...

Dandy was fun - I made some wicked levels for it :)

As for 8bit Gauntlet - it is pretty good - wish there was a bit more color to some objects, however it plays like the arcade - I also bought the Atari ST version at the time and suffice to say the 8bit version got little play ;)

I was actually disappointed in Gauntlet for the 8-bit. It seemed to be a little laggy and not tight... like, you'd fire and the hit wouldn't register right away, if I recall correctly. I think that I tried Gauntlet on the C64 and that it was, IMO, much better than the A8 version.

Gauntlet A8 is a little too monochrome for me....Weird thing is...according to an article in Database's 'Atari User' mag, one of the programmers at US gold said that most of the Coding and graphics were done on the A8...If that's so, how is it the other verious have colour and the A8 version doesnt

Orig. gauntlet on the ST...the scrolling alone makes you boss-eye'd (Perhaps they should have asked Steve Bak to program it)

I love the way my barely read thread suddently gets replies 7 years later.

You're welcome. :D I just like Gauntlet.

Did anyone else have problems with it locking up with two players after awhile? Maybe it was after a few hours...hmm it has been too long. Anyone got an original disk? :)

Edited by Defender II