IGNORED

Loadstar soon to end

Loadstar's up to issue number 224. Each issue has new programs, but they also offer a few "classic" games each month (copyright be damned!) for gamers.

Their website is down; I don't know why.

The "closure" rumour was circulated by the prez. of the Calgary Commodore club...so I suppose that you can take it for what it's worth. ;)

The new Commodore magazine ("Infinite Loop") is up to issue number 4 now.

Most games still won't let you return to the menu, but Loadstar helpfully tells you which ones will take you past the point of no return.

Most of the Loadstar programs offered are merely OK, but there tend to be one or two standouts in each issue (which does cover 2 or 3 floppies). It seems like a good deal for $80USD / year but then, there isn't a lot of competition.

As a point of comparison, I brought my XEGS along to showcase some latter day Polish/German/Slavic games for the 8-bits. All of the Commodore group members were very impressed, and thought the titles were largely comparable to what the C64 could do, and better than anything that they'd seen recently on "Loadstar".