IGNORED

Tiles per background layer?

Kirk_Johnston

Can someone clarify for me how many unique tiles the Genesis can have for each background layer max (without using any tricks to switch in new ones)?

And I presume you just double it to get the total amount of tiles it can have for both layers (without using any tricks to switch in new ones)? It's not like you have some max amount pool and you can actually freely divvy the tiles up as you see fit and put all the tiles from both layers in one layer if you want and then just have none in other layer or something like that (kinda like you can just use more of the 64K VRAM to have more sprite animation frames at the cost of less tiles for background detail, if I understand that correctly), right?

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

I'm going to rephrase the question slightly, just to be as clear as I can:

How many unique background tiles can you actually have across both backgrounds in total on Genesis (imagining no sprites are being used in this example, no code cheats/hacks are being utilized, and anything that HAS to be done is taken into account)?

Just a simple number will be perfect. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

5 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I'm going to rephrase the question slightly, just to be as clear as I can:

How many unique background tiles can you actually have across both backgrounds in total on Genesis (imagining no sprites are being used in this example, no code cheats/hacks are being utilized, and anything that HAS to be done is taken into account)?

Just a simple number will be perfect. :)

I believe the number you are looking for is 1024 TOTAL, whether it's sprites, one background layer or two background layers. You have 64KB of VRAM to work with at any given time to store tiles and each tile is 8x8=64, giving you 1024 TOTAL tiles.

1 hour ago, TheDevil'sCompass said:

I believe the number you are looking for is 1024 TOTAL, whether it's sprites, one background layer or two background layers. You have 64KB of VRAM to work with at any given time to store tiles and each tile is 8x8=64, giving you 1024 TOTAL tiles.

I was on SNESdev and they said 2048--and a couple other random ones too--so I guess I'll just say 1024-2048 and go with that. LOL

Thanks for the reply.