IGNORED

A minor miracle

atrax27407

Computers in general(and the venerable TI99 in particular), can be a bit "cranky" when they are disturbed. I feared for the worst when I had to re-constitute my system after having our carpeting replaced throughout the house. The computer system (console, P-Box, modem, external disk drive, and printer) had occupied the same footprint on the same desk for 7+ years before be disassembled, stored briefly and then re-assembled on the same desk in a different location. After getting everything reconnected and plugged in, I held my breath when I hit the master switch and turned on the console. I expected, at best, some loud and obnoxious sound and a blue screen or other malfunction. To my surprise, it booted flawlessly and everything appears to be working as if nothing at all happened. That has to be a minor miracle, at least!  

• Like 12

I imagine plenty of consoles were dragged in front of the TV by charged-up fingers only to suffer further insult from blocked air-inlets by the carpet or rug.

I've not seen any static electricity issues but I'm sure you could touch the wrong thing and test that theory! I blew out a Mac SE motherboard that way. $ouch$ banghead.gif.8d4b91db6a1e1124b04d190cf287a392.gif

Biggest problem for me is dirty cart and sideport connections.

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Like 2