IGNORED

Switch Sports

MrBeefy

15 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Who is enjoying this as much as I am? What is everyone's favorite game?

I find it underwhelming to be honest.      I've been enjoying bowling,  but it seems much easier than bowling on the Wii.   The first game I bowled on Switch Sports was entirely strikes and spares,  something that has never happened to me on Wii.

Also half the games-  Tennis, Badminton, and Volleyball are extremely similar games and I find them laggy..  there's a bit of a lag from when I swing until when the on-screen character swings.

So there's not a lot of variation.  I would have preferred something more like Wii Sports Resort, which had a lot of different games included.

I haven't noticed much lag. We enjoyed Bowling and Volleyball.

I think the Bowling is way more responsive than the Wii one. I have way more control over my spin while the Wii one just seemed to spin however much it wanted to or not from throw to throw.

I do feel badminton and tennis are very similar. I'd like to see a return of frisbee throwing.

I've forgotten. When is Golf expected to be added?

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:30 PM, MrBeefy said:

I think the Bowling is way more responsive than the Wii one. I have way more control over my spin while the Wii one just seemed to spin however much it wanted to or not from throw to throw.

I do feel badminton and tennis are very similar. I'd like to see a return of frisbee throwing.

They need the best of both worlds and add a disc golf game!

• Like 2

I've only noticed lag in the racket games-  tennis and badminton.   Maybe volleyball, I don't recall.     There's a short delay from when I swing until the character swings, but it's not consistent.   Maybe it's network-related, I don't know.   It just makes playing those games frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 11:41 AM, zzip said:

Also half the games-  Tennis, Badminton, and Volleyball are extremely similar games and I find them laggy..  there's a bit of a lag from when I swing until when the on-screen character swings.

Played online against family this past weekend and noticed more of the lag you were talking about in Tennis. Volleyball I still didn't notice it that much.

Bowlings controls seem way better than the Wii and even CG51 which I also liked.

14 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Bowlings controls seem way better than the Wii and even CG51 which I also liked.

My first game was entirely strikes and spares which never happens,  so better for me :D  More realistic?  Not so sure.     The ball does seem less likely to curve than the wii and will go exactly where you aim most of the time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zzip said:

My first game was entirely strikes and spares which never happens,  so better for me :D  More realistic?  Not so sure.     The ball does seem less likely to curve than the wii and will go exactly where you aim most of the time.

See I think ot's better because the controllers are more responsive to curve. I always play by throwing a curve and this seems to recognize it better for me than the Wii one did.

I'm kind of excited about being able to play online during the pandemic, but I do wish there were more games available. No boxing?? Seriously?
But I also have the WiiU game and I haven't really played it since the demo. I really should.

I have way more control over my spin while the Wii one just seemed to spin however much it wanted to or not from throw to throw.

Same here, in the Wii version the ball always seemed to curve one way, no matter how straight I tried to keep my wrist.

I'd have to look it up, but I think they said Golf was June?

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 8:30 AM, Asaki said:

I'm kind of excited about being able to play online during the pandemic, but I do wish there were more games available. No boxing?? Seriously?
But I also have the WiiU game and I haven't really played it since the demo. I really should.

Same here, in the Wii version the ball always seemed to curve one way, no matter how straight I tried to keep my wrist.

I'd have to look it up, but I think they said Golf was June?

Yeah I think Golf is soonish.

My online play with family went well. It wasn't a mess but there were a few hiccups. But it was almost more funny than aggravating than like a FPS with same hiccups would be.

I do hope they add more. Boxing was fun to an extent but it played better for me by not making the correct motions. I loved throwing the frisbee to the dog and hope that makes a comeback.

I think I liked Ping Pong more than tennis but that may be due to the motion plus.

• 1 month later...

So my kids (who are adults now), got me a Switch for Father's Day so we can all play games together at home and online.  The game they got me with the system... Switch Sports!  Right out of the box I played a game of bowling, which I loved because the controls are easy to use.  Maybe that's because I'm set at novice?  Does anyone know if the controls are more involved when you select a different skill level?  I also tried soccer, which is a little weird during the shootout.  Once you try to bring your leg back to kick it, it triggers the game to kick too early.  So I guess you have to move your foot forward at the right time and skip the back swing.  This is going to take some getting used to.

• Like 1

How is the bowling?  I remember love/hating the old Wii one because it never would be consistent or properly interpret the motion to give a consistent fair roll of the ball.  It often felt like the classic case of rubberband ai style shenanigans where you'll just not get a perfect game because game logic so eventually I got fed up and stopped with it seeing others suffer it online too.  Why bother for 300 if it's just a matter of luck, not improvement right?  Is the Switch version better at interpreting things so you can pull it off with some work?

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

How is the bowling?  I remember love/hating the old Wii one because it never would be consistent or properly interpret the motion to give a consistent fair roll of the ball.  It often felt like the classic case of rubberband ai style shenanigans where you'll just not get a perfect game because game logic so eventually I got fed up and stopped with it seeing others suffer it online too.  Why bother for 300 if it's just a matter of luck, not improvement right?  Is the Switch version better at interpreting things so you can pull it off with some work?

Bowling on Switch Sports in some ways is better.   The ball usually goes where you aim, without the unexpected curves that are so common on the wii.

But when you play a competitive game you often can't miss a pin or you'll get kicked out after the third frame.

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Kicked out after a third frame?  Seems rough if people are that good you get punted for lack of perfection if I'm reading that right.   Typically I just did it alone or with someone at the TV, limit of the Wii and all that.

this is in an online mode,  you play against 20 or so online players.    

After 3 frames the bottom half of the scorers are eliminated,   then after the 6th frame the bottom half of the remaining are eliminated, same after the 9th frame.

Of course it depends on what other players show up,  but I've had games where I get all strikes and spares and still find myself in the bottom half!

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2022 at 6:42 AM, atarifan88 said:

So my kids (who are adults now), got me a Switch for Father's Day so we can all play games together at home and online.  The game they got me with the system... Switch Sports!  Right out of the box I played a game of bowling, which I loved because the controls are easy to use.  Maybe that's because I'm set at novice?  Does anyone know if the controls are more involved when you select a different skill level?  I also tried soccer, which is a little weird during the shootout.  Once you try to bring your leg back to kick it, it triggers the game to kick too early.  So I guess you have to move your foot forward at the right time and skip the back swing.  This is going to take some getting used to.

I haven't tried Intermediate in offline mode. When I was Bowling it online with others what it did was put obstacles on the lane. It could be things like a raised bump in the middle, blocks that move, a tiny bride surrounded by holes on both sides, and ramps going up/down.

It was different but still fun. It forced me to try and bowl differently. I can verify the obstacles flip based on which hand you use.

Welcome to the land of being a gaming racist gatekeeping!

23 hours ago, zzip said:

Bowling on Switch Sports in some ways is better.   The ball usually goes where you aim, without the unexpected curves that are so common on the wii.

But when you play a competitive game you often can't miss a pin or you'll get kicked out after the third frame.

I find it to be better than Wii. It responds better to my movements as the Wii one was sporadic. If I make a bad throw in the Switch version I can tell why. The Wii one less so.

I didn't have that problem online. I came in first multiple times and never broke 200.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I didn't have that problem online. I came in first multiple times and never broke 200.

I've made it to the finals plenty of times as well,  but a lot depends on the skill of the other players.   There have been times that I had a strike and two spares but still got eliminated after the third frame because 10 people did better than that.   I do find that if I can make it past the third, I can usually make it to the tenth though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zzip said:

I've made it to the finals plenty of times as well,  but a lot depends on the skill of the other players.   There have been times that I had a strike and two spares but still got eliminated after the third frame because 10 people did better than that.   I do find that if I can make it past the third, I can usually make it to the tenth though.

The first 3 frames do seem to set you up overall. I did find I did better overall in Intermediate than in Novice.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

How's everyone enjoying the Golf update?

Personally I'm having an issue with the Wedge and Putter.

When you get near the hole, the Wedge is often the best option-- in theory.   However I'm having an issue.   Say I'm a little outside the green,  and want to knock it near the hole,   I give the wedge a light swing,  the lightest swing the game will allow me to do.   Yet the ball goes flying well beyond the hole.   It's now on the other side of the hole, just as far away if not further.

Then there's the putter.   Many times I swing that thing as hard as I can because I might be 20ft from the hole,  yet the ball only goes 3 ft   WTH?   Not always, sometimes the ball does move as it should, but too often it barely moves.

So wedge seems unrealistically overpowered and putter is unrealistically underpowered?    Any one else running into this?  Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?