IGNORED

Micro Machines (no switch?)

JerseyDevil

I pulled this from another thread:

It's not a PAL/NTSC switch. I remember reading that these were unlicensed games and the switch was utilized to allow compatibility with all revisions of the NES console in America. In short, it was a way to beat the lock-out chip, but the details regarding the switch were very vague.

I have a copy of Fire Hawk that has the switch on the back, but haven't been able to get it to work either way either. (It also has an unnecessary protrusion on the back that makes it extremely hard to stack efficiently. Who's dumbass idea was that?)

I am curious as to what it's even about as not even the ROM I have works. Guess I'll never find out. :roll:

Quasi-Nintendo expert answering here:

My understanding is that the switch was implemented because of the way they defeated the Nintendo lockout chip. It worked perfectly with the early toaster deck NES, but ironically when they released the top loader that DIDN'T have a lockout chip to lower the cost, it fux0red the carts. So one switch setting is for the original NES, and one is for the top loader. Oddly enough I have both models and at least a half-dozen carts with switches but I've never done a "side by side" comparison of both at the same time to see if that theory holds true.

Quasi-Nintendo expert answering here:

My understanding is that the switch was implemented because of the way they defeated the Nintendo lockout chip. It worked perfectly with the early toaster deck NES' date=' but ironically when they released the top loader that DIDN'T have a lockout chip to lower the cost, it fux0red the carts. So one switch setting is for the original NES, and one is for the top loader. Oddly enough I have both models and at least a half-dozen carts with switches but I've never done a "side by side" comparison of both at the same time to see if that theory holds true.[/quote']

So I guess the Micro Machines without the switch is an earlier

version of the game?

I know the switch was for the Lock out bypass. I also have a Micro Machines that is missing the switch and I also have one that has the switch. What I found, was that the one without the switch used to belong to some video rental store here locally. At some point they actually installed one of the lock out chips onto the carts PCB. Because my Micro Machines that is missing the switch , I have taken apart, and there is a lock out chip hand soldered onto the PCB. Most likely if you have one, and it works, then it also has the lockout chip installed. It was certainly easy enout to dissect any SMB cart and take the chip off of there, and install it onto another.

8)

There's allways a chance on of them is the Aladdin version. :ponder:

is there an aladdin version that looks anything like an nes game?

my micro machines has a space in back that looks like something is missing? a switch could have been there?

could you post a pic of the two?

also is it true you could only buy micro machines from the home shipping network? i remeber back in the day i loved the game but could only remt it from the video store b/c i could not find it anywhere...

There's allways a chance on of them is the Aladdin version. :ponder:

is there an aladdin version that looks anything like an nes game?

my micro machines has a space in back that looks like something is missing? a switch could have been there?

could you post a pic of the two?

also is it true you could only buy micro machines from the home shipping network? i remeber back in the day i loved the game but could only remt it from the video store b/c i could not find it anywhere...

The Aladdin carts are much smaller than regular NES games, you can't mistake the two. Micro Machines is a very rare game and it has been hard to find from the day it was released.