IGNORED

High temps @ 4k

I'm hitting 90 to 100c regular when playing most 4k videos (YouTube) [Linux Mint, newest kernel].

I'm going to disassemble this weekend and double check my thermal paste in case I applied too much (99% positive I didn't).  My tdp was set in BIOS to 40 watts, I've tried 35 and the maximum setting (55 IIRC); it's currently on AUTO.  Doesn't seem to make a difference at all.  I've also defaulted my CPU to Conservative, On Demand, Performance, Powersave, and Shedutil ...   no difference but of 2-3c.

Also, odd that this was with both Brave and Vivaldi (Chrome based web browsers); but when I tested with Firefox with the same videos it was like ~80c.   Not a big Firefox fan, but wow.  It's my understanding that a specific type of codec (cannot remember off-hand) require software decoding on YT and of the three common types, one of them is crappola with the R1606G (someone more well-versed will hopefully chime in on that).

Just posting to get out some info/experience and maybe receive some insights.

[Edit; when gaming it stays in the 80s at worst, so it's just related to video as far as I can tell]

Edited by suspicious_milk

I did a few things on my 2 VCSs that might, or might not, help. In the BIOS, disable Core Performance Boost.  It will keep the temps down because it’ll keep the APU from reving up. I also found it had steadier performance for the system.

Another thing I did was removed the thermal pad and used a liquid metal thermal paste to the APU.  It sucks that manufactures use these thin thermal pads. You don’t need to use a liquid metal, I just had some around from a gaming rig I had just completed. Any quality thermal paste will get you better results then that thermal pad.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, davpa said:

I did a few things on my 2 VCSs that might, or might not, help. In the BIOS, disable Core Performance Boost.  It will keep the temps down because it’ll keep the APU from reving up. I also found it had steadier performance for the system.

Another thing I did was removed the thermal pad and used a liquid metal thermal paste to the APU.  It sucks that manufactures use these thin thermal pads. You don’t need to use a liquid metal, I just had some around from a gaming rig I had just completed. Any quality thermal paste will get you better results then that thermal pad.

Hope that helps.

Core Performance Boost didn't seem to help, so it's enabled.   I also noticed PCI was set to "low" or something, so I changed it to "performance" (got a few extra FPS, so that's cool).  

Yeah, mine had not only a thermal pad, but a crappy one at that.   The only thermal paste I had laying around was some generic stuff (which was applied), so I've ordered some Grizzly Kryonaut.  I'll get that in as soon as I can.  Again though, under the stress of a game, it's fine, it's just most 4k YT videos that really pushes the temps.   It'll probably (hopefully) be fixed with a driver or BIOS update.  Looked up some reviews/tests on a R1606G SBC board, it also has similar struggles with 4k (but to to be fair, it's single channel RAM only).

Curious for others to post their temps (Windows/Linux) running 

this at 2160p

1675862109_coreboostenabled.thumb.jpg.981adfc392829098454fa8fd305ea52f.jpg

With "core performance boost" enable and run Benchmark the CPU temp : 
Min 68°C Max 102°C
Power max ~29.6W
CPU clock Min 300Mhz Max 3493Mhz

1299179269_coreboostdisabled.thumb.jpg.d906b451506b0226f25e932d074f9e47.jpg

With "core performance boost" disable and run Benchmark the CPU temp : 
Min 40°C Max 73°C 
Power max ~25W
CPU Clock Min 1383Mhz Max 2598Mhz

So it does make a difference.

• Thanks 1

It sounds like VP9 hardware acceleration isn't working right under linux.  It does work just fine under windows on my VCS - no dropped frames at 60fps 4k with low cpu usage and the GPU doing all the decoding.  Can you check your CPU usage and see if its running high when playing videos?

On 5/15/2022 at 4:51 PM, cubehacker said:

It sounds like VP9 hardware acceleration isn't working right under linux.  It does work just fine under windows on my VCS - no dropped frames at 60fps 4k with low cpu usage and the GPU doing all the decoding.  Can you check your CPU usage and see if its running high when playing videos?

Yeah, you called it. UHD Videos with VP9 runs it hard.  Again, better under Firefox than Brave or Vivaldi.

My Grizzly Kryonaut came in the mail the other day but the post office sent it back because it was busted open.  So I had to order it again.  Finally got it today and got it applied.

HOLY H3LL!!

My idle, average, and peak thermals all dropped 10c.   It's like a new damn machine.  I was hoping for 3-6c and would've been happy with that.

VP9 still pushes the CPU a bit harder, but now I peak at 90c (instead of sustained).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1