IGNORED

Best 8-Bit Graphic Adventure?

davidcalgary29

The last commercial graphic adventure I can remember buying was The Mask of the Sun in 1985 (unless you can count the comic book flippies like The Fantastic Four as graphic adventures). I wasn't unduly impressed by it, and thought that this always was a weak area in the 8-bit library.

I've recently "discovered" Gunslinger, though, and am impressed by its innovative control scheme. Any thoughts on what may be the "best" graphic adventure?

I've always been an Ultima/Apshai kind of guy. I vote either Ultima IV or Temple Of Apshai Triliogy

I think that David is talking about text adventures with a static graphic displayed for each "room" like all the SAGA adventures, so Ultima IV and Apshai wouldn't qualify.

I never really got into those type of adventures when I was a kid, but I did play a bunch of the Scott Adam's ones.. but never finished any. It's hard for me to say which would be the best.

Oh. My favorite 8-bit one would be Tass Times' date=' but I don't think that was available on Atari :P[/quote']

I could be wrong but didn't Tass make it atleast to the ST?

Yes' date=' but not the 8-bits. :)

I discovered that [i']Jinxter[/i] had been ported to the 8-bits about a week ago. Why was this never reviewed in Antic?

The Magnetic Scrolls "tribute" website states that Corruption was ported to the 8-bits...does anyone know anything about this?

I discovered that Jinxter had been ported to the 8-bits about a week ago. Why was this never reviewed in Antic?

Probably because Antic or ANALOG never reviewed anything European. Sure would've helped the A8 at the time...

The Magnetic Scrolls "tribute" website states that Corruption was ported to the 8-bits...does anyone know anything about this?

That's a mistake. It was never released on the A8.

++

RC

++

I've recently "discovered" Gunslinger, though, and am impressed by its innovative control scheme. Any thoughts on what may be the "best" graphic adventure?

As an international (non english speaking) atarian, I personaly did not like english text/graphic adventures with much text to read. I had never much fun to play all those high rated Infocom titles, because it was simply too hard to guess one word for another :-)

But I loved to play german adventures and my very first was called "Lapis Philosophorum: Der Stein der Weisen" (The Philosopher's Stone). It was great because it has a very short reaction time, a very smart interpreter (which ignores spelling mistakes and several alternitives), the ingame-games and last but not least because of the wonderfull graphics and atmosphere.

It is one of the few games, which played the whole familiy back in days. I remember a "Wheel of Fortune" game in the game, to be played against a little dwarf . My mom used to play this very often, and there were nearly 50 words to find out :-) and all this just by loading the saved game entry !!

I know that there is an english version availble. I never played this. But I am very curious about the meaning of native english speaking users. Is it as good as the german part?

both, english and german version can be found here:

http://www.atari8bit-software.de/

LAPIS.PNG

LAPISE.PNG

twh/f2

Graphics Adevntures game are my favourite games on the ATARI computer..

when you ask what is the best adventure game.. you should consider the following

1. Quality of Graphics.

2. the text you enter for the interperter

4. adventure difficluty.. (how hard was it to complete the game)

3. and dont forget the game PLAY!.

My top 10 all time Graphics adventures are:

1. The Serpent Star (spent days on that games, i liked the concept)

2. Gruds in Space (could not complete due to bad sector on the disk)

3. The Hulk

4. Mindshadow

5. Dallas Quest (loved the game play)

6. Gunslinger

7. Sands of Eyjapt

8. The Pawn

9. Strandad (on of the 1st ADV i ever played)

10. The Dark Crystal

As a German speaking person, my favourite adventure game is also written in German ;) It´s name is Fiji and the story is: you´re a member of a special force and for testing your abilities, you are set out at an isle on Fiji. You have to get back to the "civilisation".

Another cool thing, which surely is not a "real" text & graphics adventure, is "Der Ring der Niebelungen". This game is within one of the greatest German tales. The game is very complex - it has an amount of 4 discsides.

The Pawn, The Guild of Thieves, Jinxter...

++

RC

++

I agree, I really enjoyed The pawn and Guild of Thieves, they were spectacular graphics adventures when they came out.

While not stunning graphics wise, Sir Galahad and Holy Grail, an Atari APX release is a great graphics adventure.

I'm very surprised Atari didn't do an 800 version of Adventure since it sold so well on the 2600.

Curt

Sir Galahad and Holy Grail....

a game that fustrated me to no end.  Never was able to finish it.

Heres a little secret that helped me -

Get the 'Holy Grenade' and drop it where the ship was - If the Gods were good to you, you were able to 'squeeze' into the ship without having to figure out how to get there :)

Sometimes it took a few grenades to do this but it worked for me :D

As for me, there are several cool titles:

- Lucifer's Realm (very eerie)

- Gunslinger (the longest adventure I ever played on Atari 8bit!)

- The Count (very eerie)

- Dallas Quest

- A.D. 2044 (Polish game based on a movie "SEXMISJA") - very detailed graphix, quite a good gameplay and riddles, comfortable steering.