IGNORED

Burning Eprom Question Part Deux

starfighter1314

Hi All,

I am new to the forums, so please forgive me if this topic has been beaten to death already (a search through the archives gave me some info). I am trying to burn Atari 2600 games into EPROMs using a Needhams PB-10 EPROM burner. The burner works fine. I have a .bin file of the 2K game Combat. I bought 2732 EPROMs (Hitachi brand HN 462732G) from this Web site and burned the .bin into one. As far as I can tell, it burned fine. I plugged the EPROM into a 2600 2K/4K PCB that I bought from the Web site as well. When I plugged it into my VCS, I only get black. I tried reseating the chip, but that didn't help.

My question is this: does anyone have any technical data on this Hitachi EPROM? I am using the Hitach 2732 setting in the EPROM burning software, but should I be using the 2732A setting? I tried the Generic 2732 setting and it didn't help either. Anyone else using this burner and this type of EPROM?

Thanks,

s

I know this may seem like a stupid question but did you insert the EPROM

in the correct way ? Also if you don't have the board installed in a case

make sure you insert it with the component side facing away from you.

When it comes to electronics I always find it's the simplest things that have

you up until 3am searching around the board with a multimeter ;)

Thanks for the suggestion! Now, can anyone tell me the best way to double a 2K ROM? I can open the .bin file (I'm on Win XP) and add blank lines which doubles the size, but something tells me this isn't the proper way to make it 4K! :roll:

Alternatively, I can burn the EPROM starting at a different address, I think. Is this better?

Thanks,

s

Thanks for the suggestion! Now' date=' can anyone tell me the best way to double a 2K ROM?[/quote']

:idea: Open a DOS box (Start/Run/Cmd)' date=' go to the right directory and type

copy /b combat.bin+combat.bin combat4k.bin [/quote']

Thanks, I'v been searching for a way to combine binary files :D

• 1 year later...

Hey guys I'm new to this and have a couple of questions. I have an eeprom burner. I have the PCB I got from atariage. I want to backup some broken carts (the roms) new newer chips.

1. Can I use EEPROM instead of EPROM? (provided the specs are all the same)

2. What speed (E)EPROMs do i need, wil 150-200ns work?

3. What operating voltage? (5V)?

4. Also I know you have to double up a 2K rom to fit on a 4K chip, but can i say double up a 16K to fit on a 32K or quad an 8K to fit on a 32K or ever build a 2K into a 32K? The reason I am asking is because i only really want to buy on type of chip cuz it will be cheeper to buy a lot of the same type. (planning on 27256, 27256A, or 27C256.

Thanks for all your help, I want to learn how to code my own games too, it seems like fun.

1. Probably not without modifying the PCB or using an adapter. Even if you manage to find a EE part in a 24 pin package, you will have to make sure the /WE line is never pulled low by the game PCB.

2. Any speed your likely to come across will work. Really slow old 250ns eproms work fine. Faster parts will work just as well.

3. Use only 5V parts. I think just about any UV erase eprom you find will be 5v.

4. Your not going to be able to get anything bigger than a 2732 into that 24 pin socket. After you get to a 2764 the pinouts change to 28 pins and up.

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent question. Hope this helps:

Last night I doubled up the 4K Haunted House .bin. I burned that into a 2764 and put it into a 2600 8K PCB I bought from the AA store awhile back. This PCB is the older one (it is yellow in color, not red) and I specified the EPROM to be 8K when ordering. It worked fine!! I would assume quadrupling 2K .bins would also work, but I ran out of 2764s to test that. Once I test that, I will report back.

Maybe you only will have to buy only one PCB to run 2K, 4K, and 8K games?! If someone has this PCB and has it set for 32K EPROMs, I can go buy a couple EPROMs (27256s?) and try burning 2, 4, 8, and 16K games and send them to them to test out. Having only to buy 1 PCB to run all of those games would be sweeeeeet.

-s

idea #1 will work. When I first started I used a 2k dallas nvram. I used an extra socket under the nvram and bent the write line out and wired it high. I used it for quite a while, works great since there's no erase at all, until I got in a hurry and plugged in backwards. Blowing up a $10 part made me kind of grumpy. For testing on my multicart I used a pair of 29f040 flash roms they come in smaller sizes too. They have a short erase time.

Doubling up roms in a larger pcb works because when you accidentally hit the bank trigger it changes banks but doesn't hurt you since all the banks are the same.

Last night I doubled up the 4K Haunted House .bin. I burned that into a 2764 and put it into a 2600 8K PCB I bought from the AA store awhile back. This PCB is the older one (it is yellow in color, not red) and I specified the EPROM to be 8K when ordering. It worked fine!! I would assume quadrupling 2K .bins would also work, but I ran out of 2764s to test that. Once I test that, I will report back.  

I think as long as you start at the beginning and double everything until the rom is full, you can use 2K,4K,8K,16K and 32K boards and they should work fine :-)

At least I can't imagine why they shouldn't work ...

If you dont plan on doing anything other than eproms then one of these will work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3845264456&rd=1

(not mine)

You will also need a UV eprom eraser which you can get used off eBay for under $20.

Just out of curiosity, what other things can a more expensive burner do other than burn eproms?

By the way. Thanks.

Allan

If you dont plan on doing anything other than eproms then one of these will work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3845264456&rd=1

(not mine)

You will also need a UV eprom eraser which you can get used off eBay for under $20.

Just out of curiosity, what other things can a more expensive burner do other than burn eproms?

By the way. Thanks.

Allan

Program logic chips, microcontrollers (e.g. PIC micros), etc.! :)