IGNORED

Weather thread

mizapf

And in other weather related news...

I don't know Jack Squat about climatology but this looks like it's not going to stop for a while and that doesn't seem like a good thing. 

(The number for May 12 at Mauna Loa is 428 PPM, another new record)

image.png.2e4cffccfbcbee17c0dc94e3cdecaf15.png

14 minutes ago, TheBF said:

And in other weather related news...

I don't know Jack Squat about climatology but this looks like it's not going to stop for a while and that doesn't seem like a good thing. 

(The number for May 12 at Mauna Loa is 428 PPM, another new record)

Means more green.

5 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Means more green.

I get that part. But what else?

It seems a stupid way to run an experiment.

Guess we all get to find out together.

11 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

Isn't Mauna Loa actively eruption (and has been for many years)? What do the readings indicate other than the fact that it is spewing carbon dioxide among other noxious materials?

I don't think that's the cause of the entire curve.

But I think my 1962 Pontiac had something to do with it. :) 

Since 1843, Mauna Loa has erupted 34 times.

Most eruptions occurred prior to 1950, averaging 3.5 years between eruptions.

Since 1950, there have only been three eruptions;

a summit eruption 25 years later in 1975, a rift eruption 9 years later in 1984,

and a summit/Northeast Rift Zone eruption 38 years later in 2022.

Frequently Asked Questions about Mauna Loa Volcano | U.S. Geological Survey (usgs.gov)

100,000,000 barrels   PER DAY is what we are currently burning in oil or natural gas equivalent.

I am not rocket scientist but that seems to be one shit load of burning stuff. I can't even grasp it. 

( 2017 it was 96,000,000 per day) 

Like I said I don't know squat about climate but we are running the experiment all together so I will wait for the results; if I live long enough.

I know the city I lived in most of my life , London Ont., was the Buffalo NY of Ontario (snow belt, 4ft in 24hrs 1978 )

It started easing up in the 90s.

We left in 2006, moved back 7 years ago, bought a snow blower, haven't used it the last two winters. ??

50 minutes ago, TheBF said:

Like I said I don't know squat about climate but we are running the experiment all together so I will wait for the results; if I live long enough.

I know the city I lived in most of my life , London Ont., was the Buffalo NY of Ontario (snow belt, 4ft in 24hrs 1978 )

It started easing up in the 90s.

We left in 2006, moved back 7 years ago, bought a snow blower, haven't used it the last two winters. ??

When I was a kid, Leonard Nimoy told me we were heading into an ice age.

We had snow in North Florida in 2018.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

22 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

When I was a kid, Leonard Nimoy told me we were heading into an ice age.

We had snow in North Florida in 2018.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Weather here in Canada is slowly shifting seasons. When I was a kid ot always snowed before Halloween. Now it doesn't snow until after New Year's, and March is the coldest winter month instead of January. And infact we end up with more snowfall after it officially turns spring then all the previous official winter months, which pushes the remaining seasons down as well with summer not starting in July but instead September and October being the hottest months.

I got spoiled living in Dominican Republic for ten years there the season is 28c year around with the sun coming up at 7am and setting at 7pm. But the only issue is the rainfall is more compacted to shorter but heavier rainy season with bigger floods and more months of dry weather.

Oceans are about the same not really any increase in height, no less land but the amount of plastic garbage washing up on the shoreline and beaches has increased ten-fold.

Looking at the temperature data for our area (North Carolina), the daily high temperatures are almost all from 1910 to 1920. Consider that humans have been keeping accurate weather information for about 125 years, we only have a minute sample of climate data in the scheme of things. It depends largely on which climate "alarmist" you listen to - we were on the brink of an "ice age" in the 70's. Climate change - that's what it does from day to day and year to year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

Thanks.

That's a good overview.  We know it's been warming for a long time, but at a natural rate. 

The important question to me is, are we making it change faster than natural life can adjust too, with our 100,000,000 barrels of burning fuel every day. 

The next few decades will answer that.

(Not a good way to find out IMHO)