IGNORED

Weather thread

mizapf

7 hours ago, mizapf said:

I heard it's quite warm in the US and Canada. Well, you could probably send us some degrees if you can spare some. Summer solstice, and no sun here.

(20°C = 68°F)

juni2024.png

We're actually about the same here in Calgary, though we seem surrounded by sun!

It is really interesting - after some years of rising temperatures, our summers now seem to become wetter. No doubt about the global temperature rise, but it is not evenly distributed around the globe. Greece had 40°C in the last days (~104°F).

Summer has just begun, so I'll better not draw wild conclusions right now.

• Like 1

Yeah, we hit 21C today - hottest yet this year. We're planned to get up to 27 this weekend, but then back to 16 on Thursday and 20 or under for the rest of the forecast. ;)

But I haven't lived on the prairies long enough to know what normal is.

14 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Yeah, we hit 21C today - hottest yet this year. We're planned to get up to 27 this weekend, but then back to 16 on Thursday and 20 or under for the rest of the forecast. ;)

But I haven't lived on the prairies long enough to know what normal is.

In GTA of Ontario we just went thru 5 days at 34c finally today is back to 21c. Problem with hot days here it is also very humid as well making it feel like 45c.

1 hour ago, Gary from OPA said:

In GTA of Ontario we just went thru 5 days at 34c finally today is back to 21c. Problem with hot days here it is also very humid as well making it feel like 45c.

Yeah, I don't miss that at all ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

JUST CURIOUS, I missed some detail no doubt but was wondering why is this weather thread here under : Classic Computing > TI-99/4A Computers > ?

As this sub-forum has grown over the past 14 years, it has become a community of people with a shared interest and sometimes we find we share other interests, as well.  Keeping in mind that AtariAge in general is Atari-oriented, so the entire forum caters to Atari "enthusiasts," which has its own similar sub-forums for general conversation and chit-chat, with carve-outs such as ours sprinkled throughout.

In turn, our sub-forum has developed some threads which may not be specifically TI-99 and family-related, but rather shared thoughts and "sub-interests" with others within our community.  Some of us sneak upward every so often, and some participate in other AtariAge subs for general interests and chit-chat, but many of us stay here.

Edited by OLD CS1
Remove unnecessary commentary.
  • Thanks 1

I was out today, ill-advised I am certain, working on the yard and cleaning off the roof.  Due to forces beyond my control, I started near the high-point of the day, about three hours in a heat index of 108°F.  Real temp was about 98°F and 39% humidity.  I checked the history and found that is actually quite normal here (amazing how we tend to forget things.)  Anyway, I did not feel any deleterious effects from being out in the heat, which surprised me as I expected to have quite enough within the first hour.  Low H and a steady breeze of 3 mph give-or-take probably helped.  Maybe not the best idea, but like other ways I abuse myself, I want to make the best of it while I still can.

90% humidity at > 30°C? Sounds tropical to me. In Germany we typically have around 30% at high temperatures, and if that rises to >60%, people start complaining about the humid weather, and we can expect heavy thunderstorms later.

I remember when I was on vacation in Laos 2014, it was very warm and humid, and there were water puddles all around the path and grasslands. This looked very strange to me, as I am not used to see wet grass at such high temperatures.

Mind that humidity is always expressed as relative to the temperature (relative humidity). That is, it can take almost any value at any temperature.

46 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Mind that humidity is always expressed as relative to the temperature (relative humidity). That is, it can take almost any value at any temperature.

I believe it is relative humidity, based upon the amount of moisture the air can hold at that given temperature.  So, in the most common sense of the phrase, "it's not the heat that gets you, it's the humidity," it can be very true in some places, insofar as feeling the heat (discomfort) goes.  Every so often, we run into the same problem people living in more arid climates face, that it does not feel hot, but you are actually literally cooking on the inside.

heat_index_humidity_tlh_23-jun-24hrs.thumb.png.8bf71d5bf66dfeaca646ee0f0c1bccdc.png

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 3:25 PM, OLD CS1 said:

I believe it is relative humidity, based upon the amount of moisture the air can hold at that given temperature.  So, in the most common sense of the phrase, "it's not the heat that gets you, it's the humidity," it can be very true in some places, insofar as feeling the heat (discomfort) goes.  Every so often, we run into the same problem people living in more arid climates face, that it does not feel hot, but you are actually literally cooking on the inside.

What you really want to watch is the dewpoint - the temperature at which water evaporates / condenses.  The difference between dewpoint and temperature is used to calculate relative humidity (RH), or vice versa.  Right now it is 22C/14C here so that's RH of 60%

Humans can tolerate heat so long as they are hydrated and can sweat. BUT if the dewpoint rises above 37C / 98F then you will overheat and die because you can't sweat (well you can but it won't evaporate and cool you down).  The record so far is 35C / 95F but that will undoubtedly be broken at some point the way things are going.

• Like 3