IGNORED

Rollercoaster Tycoon on VCS

swingstate

I saw on a Twitter post by someone else that mentioned Atari's Rollercoaster Tycoon license expires in 2022. My guess is that when they have something to share regarding that license it may be tied into Atari's 50th anniversary celebration. I didn't notice a RCT on VCS thread on here so I thought I'd create one!

Licence info: https://www.atari.com/chris-sawyer-and-atari-announce-three-year-license-extension-for-rollercoaster-tycoon/

Press release mentioning RCT coming to VCS in the future: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2021/08/16/2281430/0/en/ATARI-ANNUAL-RESULTS-2020-2021.html

• 2 months later...

RCT update today: "The RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise continues to be a prominent component of the Atari Games portfolio, the license is set for renewal in September 2022, and it is the intention of both parties to continue the licensing agreement under fundamentally similar terms."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/atari-fy-2022-annual-results-164500127.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The back of my VCS box advertises one of their RCT games (RCT Adventures, I think). My packaging is from early 2021. I believe later packaging removed that image. I suppose they abandoned the idea of releasing the game on VCS. 

EDIT: My box also advertises Adventure II (5200) but that never happened as well. 

Edited by bugcatcher88
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, bugcatcher88 said:

The back of my VCS box advertises one of their RCT games (RCT Adventures, I think). My packaging is from early 2021. I believe later packaging removed that image. 

EDIT: My box also advertises Adventure II (5200) but that never happened as well. 

The original Atari 2600 box advertised Chess, and it is well-known how that ended... ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2022 at 7:39 PM, tripled79 said:

The Atari Jaguar box had Tiny Toons, The Jag CD box had Jack Niclous Golf...

I mean it wouldn't be Atari if it weren't for empty promises.  :P  Granted you can't really blame Atari for all of that, as it happens with a LOT of other games and platforms as well.  Granted, it is a slap in the face... Battle Wheels was on the Jag box too... would love Battle Wheels for the Jag!  Still one of my favorite Lynx games.

• 1 month later...