IGNORED

Colecovision SN76489 SFX library

Is there a list of predefined sounds in the format of

db 000,000,000,000......

My laziness is wondering if there is a listing that I can just cut and paste the data.

Like Buzz...Beep...twang...scratch....  You get the idea I hope.

I went to make a simple beep for my pong game and got lucky and found some preexisting data because I do not have JAVA and really did not want to go through such a hassle for one pong beep.

However, if I continue on this path I will end up having to come up with something for my HH project and something new, that I know I can complete and you guys want it.

TIA

There is something called CVBank   done by newcoleco. 

Where you can find sound data of a set of CV Games.  you can re-use it directly in your code.

You have also CVSoundFx   , that can help you to generate your sound a export in a format directly usable.

Searching thru this forum , you should find them.

5 hours ago, youki said:

On NIAD website ,  CVBanks  is  named :

CV OS7 BIOS Sound Bank - Beta (2010) (NewColeco).zip

It's not my website, I just took over maintaining it last year. Any help with Development Tools that are missing would be appreciated as it does become difficult finding stuff in a Forum or FB Group... the downside being the very helpful conversations/posts that won't be included.

Not a library, and you're on your own for writing playback code, but some time ago I patched and posted a port of sfxr here:

https://harmlesslion.com/sn_sfxr/

image.thumb.png.e3e9d4cd8014704c53f1d5b313ecb72d.png

This gives you an interface to quickly throw together random sounds. The download format is VGM, so it's pretty basic to port to other formats. This version is hacked to only generate sounds that should be SN compatible.

That is cool but is there a way to modify this where it can be used as assembly data to compile.

does someone have a conversion tool.

I will be the first one to admit that I can take a college course on how to program this chip and not get it.

Yet others are geniuses that make games like Squish-em.

I am still eager to have Tony Cruise add sound to his tile editor.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

On 6/2/2022 at 9:13 AM, Captain Cozmos said:

That is cool but is there a way to modify this where it can be used as assembly data to compile.

does someone have a conversion tool.

I will be the first one to admit that I can take a college course on how to program this chip and not get it.

Yet others are geniuses that make games like Squish-em.

I am still eager to have Tony Cruise add sound to his tile editor.

I concur that it's not an easy thing to pick up.  It took me a while for it to really click that the control values are about attenuation so up is down, higher is "shorter", etc. and if you don't get the math right, a sound will taper off and then blast you with zero attenuation or will drop below the lowest frequency and cycle around to pitches that only your pets can hear.  I keep a file of "happy accidents", cool sounds I found on the way to trying to make something completely different.  It's full of splinks, sploinks, sproings, raspberries, and some things I'm sure I'll use later like a helicopter and a crackling fire.  Now when I play games like Turbo, Zaxxon, or Frenzy I can recognize how they achieved more interesting non-musical sounds and I appreciate them all the more.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...