IGNORED

X-Rally (WIP)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks very good.  Here is some feedback, which I hope find constructive:

• The start-of-game jingle sounds great, but it seems to have an off high note at the last bar.
  • The sound effects are very good, just like in the arcade.
  • The crashing spinning animation goes a little too fast.
  • The screen shifting appears to have some "tearing," which suggests that the BACKTAB update cannot keep up with the STIC buffer copies.

For that last one, the effect is a little distracting.  When the BACKTAB updates too late, it causes the video frame to update only parts of the screen instead of the whole screen.  The end effect is that the scrolling does not look as smooth as it should because it seems as if the bottom part was "tearing" itself to one side of the top part.

(This is a common problem in many games, but it sort of reflects a lack of polish, and it can be avoided.)

To avoid screen tearing, you need to make sure that you start the BACKTAB copying as close to the WAIT interrupt as possible, and then copy only from top to bottom, left to right (i.e., in BACKTAB order), in order to keep ahead of the video buffer loading each row.  The copy loop also should be as fast as possible to keep up.

Personally, I would always recommend that if you are far too deep into a WAIT cycle when you are ready to update the screen, it is usually better to wait for the next WAIT cycle in order to be able to update the screen completely on the same frame.

dZ.