IGNORED

Bought a UK 520STFM and worried about voltage

As the thread topic states, I am worried about the ST’s voltage here in the US. I purchased an adapter to convert the plug, but this plug doesn’t downstep or upstep the voltage of the computer.

I clearly don’t want to plug it in, just to have it burn up on me.

Here’s what I purchased:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261275312923?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cVcrPUBGTy-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=YT3epDNRT52&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

If I need something else, I’ll just cancel my order. 

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by ColecoGamer

Don't even think plugging your ST with this adapter!

You need a step up voltage converter like this, and still make sure you connect the 220V output to your ST:

Step Up and Down Converter - 500 Watt Voltage Converter Transformer w/ USB Charging Port, UK Power Adapter, AC 110 / 120 to 220 / 240 Volt Vice Versa, 110V/120V/220V/240V Input Voltage - Pyle PVTC320U https://a.co/d/8iDPPoP

Better yet have someone replace the internal power supply from European (220V) to US (110V) input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, larrylaffer said:

Don't even think plugging your ST with this adapter!

You need a step up voltage converter like this, and still make sure you connect the 220V output to your ST:

Step Up and Down Converter - 500 Watt Voltage Converter Transformer w/ USB Charging Port, UK Power Adapter, AC 110 / 120 to 220 / 240 Volt Vice Versa, 110V/120V/220V/240V Input Voltage - Pyle PVTC320U https://a.co/d/8iDPPoP

Better yet have someone replace the internal power supply from European (220V) to US (110V) input.

Thank you for responding. Is it just a simple power supply swap?

6 minutes ago, larrylaffer said:

Yes. Simple to someone who knows how to handle a power supply. It is not rocket science but some of the capacitors have the potential to give a pretty strong electric shock even if it is not plugged in to mains.

Thank you for the advice. Do you know where I can find an Atari ST power supply?

22 minutes ago, larrylaffer said:

Yes. Simple to someone who knows how to handle a power supply. It is not rocket science but some of the capacitors have the potential to give a pretty strong electric shock even if it is not plugged in to mains.

I used to repair Amiga computers back in the day, including power supply replacements. I realize the ST is different internally than a Amiga, but the schematics I found online indicate that replacing the PSU is easy (as you stated), but there are dangers like with any internal PSU.

I’m going to order the step up/down convertor you suggested from Amazon. I see that the convertor has a 220v plug, which I assume is where I would plug in the ST. Seems simple enough.

Best Electronics should have new ones or someone here might be willing to sell you their power supply.

The converter is cheap and handy but clunky. Also if you go that way make sure you never forget to use it with your ST. Put a sticker maybe at the back of your computer.

• Thanks 1

Just now, larrylaffer said:

Best Electronics should have new ones or someone here might be willing to sell you their power supply.

The converter is cheap and handy but clunky. Also if you go that way make sure you never forget to use it with your ST. Put a sticker maybe at the back of your computer.

Smart idea! I certainly don’t want to damage the computer.

I adopted a U.K. STE a couple of years ago and did a full U.S. conversion on it. I replaced the PSU, the keyboard and the ROMs. You'd be much better off in the long run replacing the PSU completely with something like one of the ones linked to below.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/RD-50A/7705984

or

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/RD-65A/7705986

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I adopted a U.K. STE a couple of years ago and did a full U.S. conversion on it. I replaced the PSU, the keyboard and the ROMs. You'd be much better off in the long run replacing the PSU completely with something like one of the ones linked to below.

or

Actually these are great replacements! I have used a mean well psu on one of my mega st's. But requires a bit more work if I remember correctly because one needs to desolder the cables and header that goes to the motherboard and connect them to the right outputs of the mean well. Again, not a ticket science but one needs to be careful.

The keyboard is not a big deal to me unless it is qwertz or even worse azerty (not the case for a UK st).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, larrylaffer said:

Actually these are great replacements! I have used a mean well psu on one of my mega st's. But requires a bit more work if I remember correctly because one needs to desolder the cables and header that goes to the motherboard and connect them to the right outputs of the mean well. Again, not a ticket science but one needs to be careful.

The keyboard is not a big deal to me unless it is qwertz or even worse azerty (not the case for a UK st).

Yeah, I could've easily made it work. The only difference, I think, was the £ key, but I'm a perfectionist and I bought a NOS U.S. ST keyboard from BEST. I wanted it to look the part in every way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bfollowell said:

or

Those are great alternatives; thank you! Will the cabling inside the ST work on one of those PSU or will I have to buy a new power cable too?

17 hours ago, larrylaffer said:

Capacitors will discharge in few minutes. And to get electric shock need to be really clumsy and uncareful - touching both contacts of capacitor.  And with simple (insulated) wire they can be discharged quickly. The real danger is larger capacitor filtering 220/110 V power after greatz bridge.

10 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

I noticed there’s a huge checklist below the purchase button. Is there anything specific I need to check off before buying one? 

No, there's nothing at all you need to check. Just port in your quantity and click add to cart.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Those are great alternatives; thank you! Will the cabling inside the ST work on one of those PSU or will I have to buy a new power cable too?

Unfortunately for me, I didn't use either of those. I used a little different Meanwell PSU that worked equally well, but required some connectors and a little more work to fit into my STE. I don't believe these will require anything additional, assuming that the original wiring is long enough to reach. You may have to wing it a little bit when attaching the new PSU to the old PSU mounting plate, but that shouldn't need too hard.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Unfortunately for me, I didn't use either of those. I used a little different Meanwell PSU that worked equally well, but required some connectors and a little more work to fit into my STE. I don't believe these will require anything additional, assuming that the original wiring is long enough to reach. You may have to wing it a little bit when attaching the new PSU to the old PSU mounting plate, but that shouldn't need too hard.

Thank you for answering. I apologize for the noobish question, but I noticed you posted links to two separate PSU. Is one better than the other?

17 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Thank you for answering. I apologize for the noobish question, but I noticed you posted links to two separate PSU. Is one better than the other?

Not really, at least for most applications. Either would work. The second provides a little more power, which could come into play if you had a lot of extra devices plugged into your ST that were actually pulling power from the ST. It's doubtful that that's the case, so either should work just fine.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, ColecoGamer said:

Just an update - my 520ST is running fine. The RF video appears in black & white due to the machine being PAL. I might buy a color ST monitor or one of those ST2VGA adapters I’ve seen on eBay to fix the issue.

Happy computing all! And thank you for all the responses.

With using RGB signals it will be not only color, but much sharper, cleaner too. Of course TV/monitor needs to have RGB inputs, what's probably rare case there.

Where you want to connect ST2VGA ? On computer monitor ? If this, from what photo is is that - then all you need is proper cable to it's VGA connector with RGB lines (may need added resistors for proper contrast) and H and V sync lines.  It can work at 50 Hz obviously, so will be able to work at 60 Hz too.

Pic quality will be better than with org. ST monitor or ST2VGA .

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan
  • Thanks 1