IGNORED

Internet connection required?

dudeguy

Can I buy a disc version of the PS5 and play games off disc without ever connecting to the internet? I only have mobile hotspot which is 5 GB of data a month, so it's not realistic for me to rely on that for downloading games or do all the patches and all that bullsh*t.

I'd just like to play Gran Turismo 7 more tha  anything else

• Like 1

Because of gigantic updates (often day-one), it's safe to say that these days most AAA games do require an internet connection. Unless you buy some sort of GOTY edition later on...if they still do these, that is. I'm a bit out of the loop, what with PS3 being my last modern console.

And yes, then there are abominations such as GT7 which absolutely shoud not have an always-online requirement. But then, it'd be less easy to pester people with their microtransaction bullcrap. Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

The answer to your question, theoretically, is yes.  You could keep a PS5 completely offline and play each game from disc - but like others stated, many games have large patches and will require you to go online.  5GB a month isn't a lot of data and I assume that includes your cell data use, and possibly other internet use?  I would highly recommend upgrading your data plan if you do get a PS5.

Edited by glazball

9 hours ago, glazball said:

The answer to your question, theoretically, is yes.  You could keep a PS5 completely offline and play each game from disc - but like others stated, many games have large patches and will require you to go online.  5GB a month isn't a lot of data and I assume that includes your cell data use, and possibly other internet use?  I would highly recommend upgrading your data plan if you do get a PS5.

I get unlimited cell phone 5G data but it throttles a bit after 32 GB. I never reached that much. I have 5 GB of mobile hotspot data for when I use my Switch on my TV or I connect my laptop to the internet. and yeah it goes fast.

I cant justify getting a PS5 when theres 2,000 PS2 games out there that look and play just fine. the graphics dont need to be any better than PS2, in my opinion

• Like 1

Well there was certainly a time and place for PS2 graphics, so stick with that if it's what you love.  I personally love every PS console, each for it's own reason, and PS2 is no exception.  If and when you do get a PS5, you'll get spoiled by load times.  Over the years, I got used to taking a quick break during loading screens (check phone, get a drink, take a piss, etc) but the PS5 loads so fast I often find that it's loaded and waiting on me. :)

On 6/13/2022 at 9:13 PM, dudeguy said:

I get unlimited cell phone 5G data, but it throttles a bit after 32 GB. I never reached that much. I have 5 GB of mobile hotspot data for when I use my Switch on my TV or I connect my laptop to the internet. and yeah it goes fast.

I can't justify getting a PS5 when there's 2,000 PS2 games out there that look and play just fine. the graphics don't need to be any better than PS2, in my opinion

Until about six months ago, I was in the very same situation -- I had to teether my laptop to my cell phone to get online. Happily, my data cap was rather higher than 5 GB. That dissuaded me from getting anything newer than my PlayStation 2. I do not have 2,000 games (sadly), but I do have a sufficiently large library to keep me occupied for a while. 

• 1 month later...

Yes, you will need an internet connection. Some of the games released on disc are not functional until you download a bigger patch. Hotspots are not the best way to download these patches, especially if your provider caps your connection after downloading too much. 

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 2