IGNORED

Dual PIII Xeon 500

BigO

Anybody around Phoenix interested in a Dell Precision 610? Dual PIII Xeon 500 Mhz, 100 Mhz USB. 1 GB RAM (supports ECC, but this is non-ECC). 2 SCSI HDs 9GB, 18GB.

Originally marketed as CAD workstation.

Have run Win98, Win2K. Currently loaded with Win2K server.

Pulled video card for another project after reloading.

Take it before it goes to the recycler.

Heavy beast. Local pick up only in Phoenix, AZ.

(Admins, please delete if it's wildly inappropriate for this to be in this forum)

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking when I booted it up on some old DOS hard drive I had laying around and played a few ancient games.

I'd much rather it go to an end user than to the scrap heap.

Dell didn't support it but I ran IDE and SCSI drives simultaneously.

Doesn't directly support large IDE disks but I ran it with dynamic drive overlay on a 15GB drive for a long time as my daily driver.

Original specs only supported 512MB RAM, but a later BIOS release bumped that up to a Gig...some kind of magic I suppose. I ran with ECC until I made the jump to 1 GB.

As mentioned, it's heavy, but it has to be the easiest tower I've worked on. It was built for easy access.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/19/2022 at 11:47 PM, BigO said:

Original specs only supported 512MB RAM, but a later BIOS release bumped that up to a Gig...some kind of magic I suppose. I ran with ECC until I made the jump to 1 GB.

This happens all the time. The hardware supports bigger memory from the outset. It's just not verified and certified yet. When testing is complete a BIOS update enables the new capacity.

On 7/23/2022 at 7:10 PM, BigO said:

Dumped. No takers.

Yes. A shame 2BShur. But it's happening more and more frequently. And I've gotten rid of tons of hardware because not takers. And ebay is a hassle in so many ways. The bulk and cost of shipping and general location (could be anywhere) makes for inconvenience. So what's one to do?

Sometimes parting the stuff out helps, then all you have to do is throw away the case and leftovers. And parts are cheaper to ship.

I had actually pulled the CPUs and RAM and boxed it up for somebody online who expressed interest before I dropped off the case for recycling.

The aforementioned interested party subsequently went dark. If you're interested enough, you can find some PIII XEONs in a landfill. So I've heard.