IGNORED

Space Invaders Part II or Deluxe?

Chris+++

Concerning the sequel to the history-making '78 slide-and-shoot-'em-upwardI've read and heard quite a few references to the name Deluxe Space Invaders. But was this truly the title given to the game in America by Midway, whereas Taito's original was Space Invaders Part II? That's how the modern view would have it, but there seems to be a case for the opposite being true, in spite of what we might read on, say, the Wiki Rumor Page (TM).

I say this based on one of my favorite, most obsessed-over books when I was 10-11: How to Master the Video Games by Tom Hirschfeld. I still have it. In this American-written, American-published paperback, the game is called Space Invaders Part II. In fact, it was for this reason that I believed the game was only titled Part II, until I heard otherwise in one podcast or another in the 2010s.

One possibility is that Hirschfeld happened to play and / or observe an imported Japanese cabinet in an American game room. However, this was an extremely rare occurrence in those days, I believe. So how could he have even known of the name Part II, much less feature it in his book as the game's official title, if it really was Japan-exclusive? If he had been aware of the name Deluxe, and it truly was the American version, he surely would have used that instead.

Does anyone who lived in America back then remember seeing a cabinet with either title on the marquee?

(This all leaves out Europe, of course, but I have no clue either way about which title appeared over there.)

• Like 2

Back then, all of the upright Midway cabinets I ever saw of the sequel were called Deluxe Space Invaders. When it came to the cocktail table though, Midway had both... Space Invaders Part II and Deluxe.

Just looked at my copy of How To Master The Videogames book, and Hirshfeld mentions the game he played had left/right buttons for movement. So that eliminates the cocktail version since they used a lever. Hmm...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Back then, all of the Midway upright cabinets I ever saw of the sequel were called Deluxe Space Invaders. When it came to the cocktail table though, Midway had both... Space Invaders Part II and Deluxe.

Just looked at my copy of How To Master The Videogames book, and Hirshfeld mentions the game he played had left/right buttons for movement. So that eliminates the cocktail version since they used a lever. Hmm...

So Deluxe uprights by Midway certainly existed in America. Thanks for confirming that. Possibly some cocktail versions of Part II used buttons, and they just haven't been well documented?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chris+++ said:

So Deluxe uprights by Midway certainly existed in America. Thanks for confirming that. Possibly some cocktail versions of Part II used buttons, and they just haven't been well documented?

Not that I remember ever seeing. The Midway control panels are pretty small actually. 2 buttons for movement would have felt pretty cramped or awkward given the design. Hell, the lever was kind of awkward too, but we got used to it.  ?

I'm thinking Hirshfeld probably played an early working title of the game back then, before Midway settled on Deluxe.

964FD266-5BB5-4186-A4C3-F59BE8471F1D.thumb.jpeg.7c696204a2f5c525b43b623cba05b07f.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, save2600 said:

I'm thinking Hirshfeld probably played an early working title of the game back then, before Midway settled on Deluxe. 

I guess that's the most logical conclusion so far. The game came out in 1980, but there's nothing to say that he didn't devise his observations and strategies a year before the book was published.

• Like 2

According to Wikipedia:

"The North American release was titled Space Invaders Deluxe, however the title screen still uses the Part II name, likely due to Taito's contract with Midway that only allowed them to make minor modifications to the game".

Ahh, yes... of course. And that's it right there. Midway's upright bezel said Deluxe, while the game program said Part II. Forgot about that. Memory jogged and mystery solved. Hirshfeld either just spaced out (pun intended) the Deluxe designation on the bezel and failed to mention it, or did play a version before Midway finalized the bezel. ? ?‍♂️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

Back then, all of the upright Midway cabinets I ever saw of the sequel were called Deluxe Space Invaders. When it came to the cocktail table though, Midway had both... Space Invaders Part II and Deluxe.

This is my memory too!  It was always Deluxe!  I saw it BITD and I've seen it recently;  for uprights it always says Deluxe on the cabinet as far as I can tell and remember ...I didn't know the Japanese release called it Part II though I'd seen that a lot in more recent times (on comps etc.), so it makes sense...Thought maybe they were pulling a Stargate.  (Seriously was this ever called Defender II?)...Next someone will try to tell me Millipede was called Centipede II LOL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, save2600 said:

And that's it right there. Midway's upright bezel said Deluxe, while the game program said Part II. Forgot about that. Memory jogged and mystery solved. Hirshfeld either just spaced out (pun intended) the Deluxe designation on the bezel and failed to mention it, or did play a version before Midway finalized the bezel. ? ?‍♂️

I guess that explains it!

To confuse matters more, here's Midway's Space Invaders II (not to be confused with Deluxe) cocktail table, which is different yet! ?

B5E24735-3F06-4377-8AEF-E6E98C5E7691.png.6efa8b513c797a98bde422eab6aef9bd.png

The Deluxe version (like their upright), had Deluxe on the cocktail bezel, but Part II in the game program as well:

32B6D8A5-6460-44EB-B165-52F025B34FE9.jpeg.b8031cbf33ec8f108ba07eb641d486dd.jpeg

• Like 1