IGNORED

Caltron 6-in-1 Variant?

I recently purchased a CIB Caltron 6-in-1, previously only owning a loose copy so now I have two carts.  I noticed that they're different in the following ways:

• Cart 1 has a blue back sticker with different "Engrish" than Cart 2 which has a black back sticker
  • Cart 1 has a nonstandard board with EEPROMs versus standard ROM chips in Cart 2

Otherwise the front sticker and plastic case are identical, so I don't think that this is a bootleg of an unlicensed game.  I've Googled and couldn't find any info on variants.  Attached are pics.  What do you all think?  Is it possible that the first cart is a sample or earlier release?

I didn't notice any difference in the game play when playing them.  I realize that EEPROMs are not supposed to be exposed to light, but didn't know that the EEPROM windows weren't covered with tape.  I played the EEPROM game no problem after screwing the case back together.

Thanks!

Cart 1 - Board Front.jpg

Cart 2 - Board Front.jpg

Cart 1 - Back.JPG

Cart 2 - Back.jpg

Cart 2 looks like a match with the known dumped cartridge: https://nescartdb.com/profile/view/1390/6-in-1.

As for Cart 1, I'd agree it looks like an earlier revision. Perhaps the board was manufactured in '91 and Cart 2 in '92. It seems reasonable to conclude the Engrish is coming directly from NTDEC in Taiwan, while the later cart has maybe been edited by their Caltron staff in California. It would be worthwhile to get the EPROMs dumped to see if the data differs at all from the known dump. The sizes of the chips match those of known cart's mask ROMs. They could be entirely the same data with only hardware revisions, but there's only one way to find out.