IGNORED

Atari MIDI file Creator for Atari 8 Bit

This zip file has everything you will need from MIDI files in Windows 10 format (long character filenames), to a batch file system for dir2atr, to a file that just has a 16 meg atr with all of the directories in it, ready for you to put your own MIDI files into each disk , IE: DISK1, DISK2,etc. I will also be uploading my complete file all finished for you to use, after it is finished processing on my Atari 800xl. 

Good news for all, you don't have to have a keyboard or a MIDI interface to enjoy MIDI on your Atari, you CAN use Altirra , with the device midimate and it will work with your PC and Altirra.

Zip file located further down, has been updated. 

Enjoy!

Note that there is a new file for download there were some mistakes in this one, I am working hard on this, and there will be 1000 new Gospel songs once I have finished downloading them all.

Edited by rcamp48
  • Like 2

Here is the newest version of the MIDI file creator for the Atari 8 Bit, I have changed the amount of sub-directories from 21 to 14, and have changed the batch files, there is approx. 650 MIDI files in the new zip file , each subdirectory can only handle 33 MIDI files and yes this works on Altirra.

Edited by rcamp48

On 6/24/2022 at 4:56 PM, rcamp48 said:

Here is the newest version of the MIDI file creator for the Atari 8 Bit, I have changed the amount of sub-directories from 21 to 14, and have changed the batch files, there is approx. 650 MIDI files in the new zip file , each subdirectory can only handle 33 MIDI files and yes this works on Altirra.

Several files (MIDI) are bad, I just found this out and I have downloaded 500 new MIDI files so hang on until I check this version that I am working on. I tried DOS2.5 in the last version, but it is not close enough to Spartados 3.2g, I ended up using DosXL230 as the dos format because it was the closest to OSS Spartados, unless someone has a version of dir2atr that does not cause problems with the files being screwed up. It has been a journey making and releasing these MIDI files the only reason I released them early was that I thought that someone would have liked the original MIDI files.

Edited by rcamp48

OK this should be a working set of MIDI files for the Atari 8 Bit, I will be redoing the MIDI part each week as I download more MIDI files, again they are playable on either Altirra or Steem but have to be prepared differently for Steem. At present there are close to 840 MIDI files in this archive , up 200 files from before and as I wanted to do them all in alphabetical order I redid the them all yesterday , am in the process of checking for invalid midi files, the last time I used DOS XL 230 to create ATR files with it was perfect but nowhere near the amount of files, then I made the mistake of using Dos 2.5 for the last release, and that last release had a lot of bad midi files. I have corrected that and made the 16 meg files easier to use.

Here are the files needed for creating a new set of ATRs that are 16 MB in size, I am only using 4 MB for each of the 23 disks containing the MIDI files for copying over to two disks. Later on today I will write complete updated documentation for this program.

Note that the two ATRs that are attached have the original MIDI files in 23 sub directories for DIR2ATR , you noo longer have to build the 2 16 meg ATRs as I have finished archiving them all. I noticed that if you run the program in warp speed it does not alwasy pick up every MIDI file in Spartados.  I guess the workaround is to let the program run overnight in normal speed and then it should pick up everything. There are a lot of short files in these ATRs , this one I did with Altirra but I normally do thenm on my Fujinet.

There are 6 ATRs in this zip file plus the original long file name MIDI files, keep the master disks write protected somewhere safe and use the blank disks , my batch file will create sub-directories, copy the MIDPLAY program to each sub-directory, etc.

Complete and full documentation will be written up for this setup as soon as I get the time to do it...... 

Program deleted, as there were too many errors caused by dir2atr  see my new post about this.

Russ

Edited by rcamp48
Ref3erence to new post.
  • Like 2

This is what is on the disks that I created, and it is all shown on this 15 minute time lapse video, with of course some of CCR's MIDI music in the video as background, note that the MIDI background was not created on an Atari but simply put in for the background of the video with a PC.

Atari MIDI system disks Creator Video (Time Lapse)

Edited by rcamp48

For some reason I am having troubles making these disks, is there someone out there that has a SPartados version of dir2atr or a newer version than 2020?

I am trying everything on the Fujinet but I kjeep getting bad files , I am trying now to turn off the wait time in the Fujinet but don't know if that will help. Remember I am copying over 840 files on the Fujinet maybe i should update it or is the culprit the DIR2ATR program? I have changed the batch file a little bit but that does not seem to help.

I seem to get less errors when copying from MyPicoDos has anyone had any luck with a particular dos version in DIR2ATR?

Russ