IGNORED

Sega Master System HSC - 2022 Summer Round 2 - Dead Angle

BydoEmpire

Round 2: Clear the mean streets of Nipoli and free your girlfriend Jane from the vile gangsters in... Dead Angle!

This round runs from June 27 - July 10

Top score gets 10 points, next best score gets 9 points, etc.

Bonus Point: Prove your aim by playing any Master System light gun game.  I'm not sure what the state of SMS emulators are for light gun games, my DS multi-cart doesn't have any light gun games but I'd kind of assume PC emulators let you use a mouse or something. I love the Master System's light gun library, so if it's a feasible option for most players we'll definitely do a round dedicated to it.  Second bonus point for playing Gangster Town 2 player or dual wielding.

sms_dead_angle_p_szvgq3.jpg

Again, I think I got these right but please let me know if not.

1. jeremiahjt 210,500 (10) +2
  2. Razzie.P 204,700 (9) +1
  3. Asaki 1651,800 (8) +1
  4. Dashopepper 78,600 (7) +2
  5. BydoEmpire 50,200 (6)
  6. fakecortex 44,200 (5) +2
  7. RuySan 15,300 (4)

Edited by BydoEmpire

I'm going to have to find a manual for this one, because I don't quite understand it...

Edit: Okay, so the health bar is bogus, you actually only have three hit points. Health kit restores one HP.

I read the manual and a FAQ and I still don't know what the crouch button is supposed to do. I thought it was to dodge attacks, but it sounds like the only way to dodge attacks is to keep your silhouette away from any gangsters (it turns red when you're in danger of being shot).

BTW, I don't know if you have all of the games planned already or not, but could I throw in a request for Bank Panic? :)

On 6/26/2022 at 8:30 PM, BydoEmpire said:

I'm not sure what the state of SMS emulators are for light gun games, my DS multi-cart doesn't have any light gun games...

I'd have to check, but I don't think either of the DS emulators have touch-screen light gun support?
I play on the Wii, and it supports using the Wiimote pointer controls.
I'd be surprised if PC emulators didn't support mouse.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what the state of SMS emulators are for light gun games, my DS multi-cart doesn't have any light gun games but I'd kind of assume PC emulators let you use a mouse or something. I love the Master System's light gun library, so if it's a feasible option for most players we'll definitely do a round dedicated to it.

4 hours ago, Asaki said:

I'd have to check, but I don't think either of the DS emulators have touch-screen light gun support?
I play on the Wii, and it supports using the Wiimote pointer controls.
I'd be surprised if PC emulators didn't support mouse.

I checked Operation Wolf with Fusion 3.64, and it supports mouse for gun games.  It was really fast moving though, and unplayable to me, but there may be some settings to tame it a bit.

4 hours ago, Asaki said:

I'm going to have to find a manual for this one, because I don't quite understand it...

Same here.  I played a bit and got 15,000, but not sure what was going on, really.   Some dude in a striped pimp suit (boss, I suppose) gunned me down proper.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the state of SMS emulators are for light gun games, my DS multi-cart doesn't have any light gun games...

Yeah, I just checked, neither of the SMS emulators on DS support light guns.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 7:30 PM, BydoEmpire said:

I love the Master System's light gun library, so if it's a feasible option for most players we'll definitely do a round dedicated to it.

I am in enthusiastic agreement. Might I suggest my favorite light gun game; Missile Defense 3-D.

47 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

Maybe for the bonus point we play Gangster Town instead of the light gun game ...

Gangster Town is a light gun game.

5 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

I am in enthusiastic agreement. Might I suggest my favorite light gun game; Missile Defense 3-D.

Gangster Town is a light gun game.

LOL, there you go. It's not one I own, so I googled it reql quick and didn't see mention of phaser support on the box art.

5 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

LOL, there you go. It's not one I own, so I googled it reql quick and didn't see mention of phaser support on the box art.

You responded to my Gangster Town comment, but not my Missile Defense 3-D comment. Just want to make sure you saw that one too.

I understand not everybody will be able to play a game that requires two periphals, but hopefully it at least makes an appearance as a bonus point.

Also Gangster Town is the only 8-bit era light gun game I know of that is two player simultaneous. You could have a bonus point for getting a second player to play with you. Or maybe a bonus point for being a gunslinger (i.e. dual wielding).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeremiahjt said:

Also Gangster Town is the only 8-bit era light gun game I know of that is two player simultaneous. You could have a bonus point for getting a second player to play with you. Or maybe a bonus point for being a gunslinger (i.e. dual wielding).

Love it! Updated.

I'll put Missile Defense 3-D on the roadmap, or maybe as a bonus game.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I understand not everybody will be able to play a game that requires two periphals, but hopefully it at least makes an appearance as a bonus point.

Most of those games have ways of playing without the 3D. They just don't look as cool.

And I -think- Missile Defense 3-D is one of those ones that had a gamepad variant? Pretty sure at least one SMS game did.

Edited by Asaki

My first bonus point game is Trap Shooting from the Marksman Shooting & Trap Shooting combo cartridge.  I scored 40,400.  I did pretty good until the scene change to the beach.  At that point the clays start coming from the sides and I cannot hit anything on the widest quarter of the screen on the left or the right on my tv.  Once that started I could go no farther.  One of the reasons I like Missile Defense 3-D so much is that most everything happens in that middle area.

• Like 2

So close to beating this game (can make it to what I think is the final stage) and still don't fully understand the ducking.

My "strategy" cracks me up a bit, though.  I tend to keep them below me a bit, whenever I can, and shoot down.  So the cursor is right below my waist and seems like I'm pissing on them.  ?

• Haha 1

Cool game. Shame they didn't make a phaser version.

Don't stand in front of the enemy - 44,200 lvl 2

1858532771_DeadAngle2022-07-0222_47_17.thumb.png.0b9bbe580b71c623a3fc992f8a33b50c.png

For my bonus point, I popped in Marksman Shooting/Trap Shooting, for some new high scores of 260,500 on round 10 and 45,600 on round 6, respectively.

I found that game and a light phaser at a retro game store just over a year ago, and having never actually had one growing up, decided to grab it. This round has re-sparked my interest in these games, so I found some on eBay and also came across a few at a collectable store that I was at yesterday. One of which is Gangster Town, which is really cool and has me on the look out for a second light phaser. It's so cool that there's a 2 player game out there like that. It's a shame there aren't more, and that there weren't any for the NES. Almost everyone had a zapper bitd, so having someone bring one over for a 2 player simultaneous game of Duck Hunt, would've been awesome.

Now I'm trying to find an affordable, non-busted up, pair of 3D glasses...

BTW, does anyone else find their phaser to shoot a little off to the right? Depending on the game, it takes some getting used to, and I want it to be just a little more accurate. I've found the NES zapper to shoot straighter. Still, much better than the Atari XEGS light gun, which couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. And I should know, having played Barnyard Blaster ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fakecortex said:

It's so cool that there's a 2 player game out there like that. It's a shame there aren't more, and that there weren't any for the NES. Almost everyone had a zapper bitd, so having someone bring one over for a 2 player simultaneous game of Duck Hunt, would've been awesome.

I don't know for sure, but I would assume that the technology couldn't allow it.

1 hour ago, Razzie.P said:

I almost quit trying because of a bit of BS (in my opinion) in that last boss fight that kept getting me, but I finally finished it.

I made a save state right before, so if I don't get a chance to beat the game before this is through, I'll just cheat when we're done :ponder:

• Haha 1