IGNORED

I just got an Osborne 1 computer and I have lots of questions

I just picked this up at a local pawn.   Was able to boot up and looks to have some extra hardware(modem and video out adapter).   I know the basic history of this computer, but wanted to see where I can get some games for it.   They do not have to be original.   I also was trying to see if there is a website that breaks down the variations that were made on this model.   Mine has a B/W screen and looks to have a later serial?   Looking for experts that can steer me in the right direction.   

009.JPG

010.JPG

• Like 2

I have an Osborne I that was gifted to me...   I know it boots...

Mine has an Amber Screen and a Serial Port, ( RS-232 I believe )...

The Vintage Computer Federation has a Z80 and CP/M section on it.  

I also have a NorthStar Horizon that is S-100 bus and CP/M and Z80..   I located some CP/M sites for it, and there might be relevant Software for the Osborne I.

Somewhere there has to be InfoCom games for it....

MarkO

I would suggest finding a functional basic interpreter, then porting some games.

Looks like you can get disk images of the system software an the msbasic disk here.

http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/osborne/index.html

That should greatly increase your (potential) game library.

In addition to the msbasic interpreter, there was also a compiler. I've read it took msbasic files without modification and spat out machine code that runs ~300% faster. Good luck finding it though.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1

Thank you for those who have given information to look into.   Is there anyone here who sells games on floppy that can be used to boot up and play some games?    Aftermarket is totally fine, just wanting to show on this computer that can be game related.   

• 1 month later...

Keep me in the loop. I just picked up an Osborne 1 today.

It was working fine till the CAPS popped after being on for 2 hours. Anyway, I'll crack it open and see what it looks like. I guess I'll lean how to recap an Osborne 1. 

I didn't great a great picture of the smoke as I was scrambling to unplug it first.

See see the smoke ? It's hard to see, The display was still in tact even. during the loud popping!

Smoking-Osborne-1.png

Edited by CloudInMyHead

There's several sellers on ePay who offer pre-made floppies for Osborne 1, including games and applications. That may be your best option, depending on how willing you are to try and learn the process of writing the disks yourself using old 360kB PC floppy drives. *shrugs* Of course I've never bought anything from any of these particular fellows, so I can't vouch for 'em.

Edited by DeathAdderSF
CP/M FTW! (I guess?)

On 7/3/2022 at 2:23 PM, swlovinist said:

Thank you for those who have given information to look into.   Is there anyone here who sells games on floppy that can be used to boot up and play some games?    Aftermarket is totally fine, just wanting to show on this computer that can be game related.   

6 hours ago, wierd_w said:

If a PC can write the disks from image files, I can easily make them. I have an old legacy system and drives. I would need to order media though.

PCs with certain floppy controllers can read or write Osborn CP/M disks.  For that matter, I believe a Commodore 1571 can do it (I have to check the list of formats to be certain.)*

In any case, if you have a KryoFlux or functional equivalent and an appropriate drive, you should be able to write the images to physical media.  I have plenty of disks available and could give this a spin sometime over the next week.

* The WD1771 or 1772 on the board is hard-wired to MFM mode.  It can do MFM double-density (DD) formats, but not the FM single-density formats.

I dont have a kyroflux, just a late 90s pentium system.

Do you know which controller chip is amenable?  NEC or WD? I have never tried to write a cp/m disk.

As for games, again, I would look into what featureset the osborne offers via msbasic, and hunt down the compiler. That would open a treasuretrove of options up.

Edited by wierd_w

I think I found the compiler.

http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/lang/lang.htm

You want 'bascom', and 'link-80'.

When generating machine code, use the /z argument to generate z80 opcodes.

This, plus the very large number of games written in suitable flavors of basic, should get you more titles than you know what to do with.

The osborne 1 does not have bitmap mode graphics. However, it does have character mode graphics.

https://archive.org/details/PortableCompanion19820809/page/n52/mode/1up?q=draw+cards&view=theater

Gives a vintage example program.

Some very simple games could be written/ported this way.

Edited by wierd_w

6 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Do you know which controller chip is amenable?  NEC or WD? I have never tried to write a cp/m disk.

The WD1771, 1772, and, I believe, the 1773 are capable of writing FM single-density disks.  Anything that is compatible with those should be able to, as well.  I am not certain of how many PC mobos use the WD controllers.  ISTR some of my old DFIs use an UMC controller.

It looks like the Osborn 1 single-density disk uses 256 byte sectors, 11 sectors per track, 40 tracks per disk.

14 hours ago, wierd_w said:

...  I *think* older versions of the DOS format command can do that.

Is it FAT?

It might be able to lay out compatible sectors, but the directory structure is not FAT.  I used 22disk in MS-DOS to read CP/M disks.