IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

Thought he left the Amico section voluntarily.  If he got banned, it had nothing to do with what went on in the Amico section.  It was a crazy bet, the CEO had all the cards, it was easy for him to know and show when they had the license.  How could anyone outside possibly know.

Edited by mr_me

39 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Thought he left the Amico section voluntarily.  If he got banned, it had nothing to do with what went on on the Amico section.  It was a crazy bet, the CEO had all the cards, it was easy for him know and show when they had the license.  How could anyone else possibly know.

Quick look at link to profile shows "excellent reputation".

Would it not indicate "banned" if that were the case? (sorry, I don't how atariage handles these things offhand)

If I may ask, which license are you referring to?

Edited by number6
Added question

17 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Don't worry, I got it. It's just that you said you didn't want to disclose the PM because you thought Mr Mr would do it himself, then admitted that the fact he contacted you through a PM made you think he wouldn't. The conclusion is the same but the reasoning is quite the opposite. ?

Yup!  A case of Before and After...

26 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Thought he left the Amico section voluntarily.  If he got banned, it had nothing to do with what went on in the Amico section.  It was a crazy bet, the CEO had all the cards, it was easy for him to know and show when they had the license.  How could anyone outside possibly know.

A lot of long-time AtariAgers were kicked out of that thread, placed on mod preview, or banned outright from the whole site over Amico drama. @Albert now that it seems clear that Amico was never what it claimed to be, maybe it would be nice to consider offering amnesty for people who were done dirty in the name of not offending Mr. Tallarico? Only you would have access to the full list of names. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

J Allard had no material role on the Amico.

However, he did have an ethereal role.  He performed a seance, used a crystal ball, and spoke with ghosts with developers who passed into the netherworld to add an additional 600 years of experience to the company.  ? ? ? 

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, siccoyote said:

F4ILNiq.jpg

Man looks like I will have to fix my avatar a lot.

41 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

A lot of long-time AtariAgers were kicked out of that thread, placed on mod preview, or banned outright from the whole site over Amico drama. @Albert now that it seems clear that Amico was never what it claimed to be, maybe it would be nice to consider offering amnesty for people who were done dirty in the name of not offending Mr. Tallarico? Only you would have access to the full list of names. 

I got a point for posting in too many Amico threads. ?

• Confused 2

45 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

That would be a great gesture and a positive way to move forward from the Amico fall out.  I also think it would be highly valued for Al to unlock that original "Fun Amico Conversations" thread in read-only mode for posterity. 

If anything, maybe a future company trying to release a gaming product to the market can learn a thing or two on how things went down with the Amico, and the value of getting a good PR team in place to prevent the kind of negative interactions the previous CEO of I.E. would constantly find himself in because of his attitude towards anyone with even the slightest amount of criticism. 

Anyways, I'm just grateful people can now freely talk about the Amico here without the CEO getting in the way of the conversation.  This is how it should have always been and one of main values gaming forums provides.  

AtariAge is really one of the last of its kind in a world where people are mainly using Social Media and youtube to interact about games.  I personally still see high value in gaming forums like AA, because of the ability to easily archive valuable content. AtariAge is one of the few great gaming forums left and I don't want it's legacy defined by the Amico situation, if anything I think it can become better for it. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

That would be a great gesture and a positive way to move forward from the Amico fall out.  I also think it would be highly valued for Al to unlock that original "Fun Amico Conversations" thread in read-only mode for posterity. 

If anything, maybe a future company trying to release a gaming product to the market can learn a thing or two on how things went down with the Amico, and the value of getting a good PR team in place to prevent the kind of negative interactions the previous CEO of I.E. would constantly find himself in because of his attitude towards anyone with even the slightest amount of criticism. 

Anyways, I'm just grateful people can now freely talk about the Amico here without the CEO getting in the way of the conversation.  This is how it should have always been and one of main values gaming forums provides.  

AtariAge is really one of the last of its kind in a world where people are mainly using Social Media and youtube to interact about games.  I personally still see high value in gaming forums like AA, because of the ability to easily archive valuable content. AtariAge is one of the few great gaming forums left and I don't want it's legacy defined by the Amico situation, if anything I think it can become better for it. 

I don't think that would be beneficial for a company to see.

While I agree they 100% sucked at PR that was by far not their biggest problem. Many of us who TT didn't like still wanted to see the console succeed. So even if a good product came out many would still look at it objectively. I wish he had given one to @godslabrat like he talked about doing. There haven't been many hands on impressions from people I would trust.

Now the bad PR didn't help. It basically made it where why defend a console company who will treat customers or potential customers like that?

Any good company will focus on what they need to do. If they want good information there are way better places to look at on AA than that thread.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I don't think that would be beneficial for a company to see.

While I agree they 100% sucked at PR that was by far not their biggest problem. Many of us who TT didn't like still wanted to see the console succeed. So even if a good product came out many would still look at it objectively. I wish he had given one to @godslabrat like he talked about doing. There haven't been many hands on impressions from people I would trust.

Now the bad PR didn't help. It basically made it where why defend a console company who will treat customers or potential customers like that?

Any good company will focus on what they need to do. If they want good information there are way better places to look at on AA than that thread.

Oh, I'm simply talking about reference points.  I don't expect a company to read full threads, but I still think there is value to be gained from knowing what not to do in regards to how you interact with the community you are trying to sell to, especially when it comes to critical opinions.  At the end of the day if you really believe in your product you wouldn't have to constantly defend it. 

It really is about focusing on the right priorities and I think that was the downfall of I.E.  They liked talking a big game, but all they have to show for it 4 yrs later is a couple of prototypes and "physical" cardboard games. 

It was quite clear they hit a major development rut back in 2021 when we saw basically no real progress on games and the system. Covid and Parts shortage should not hault game development, especially the kinds of games that were being worked on for Amico.  We are not talking expansive open world 3D game designs here that require 4+ yrs of development and large teams.  Realisitically how long do games on the level of Night Stalker, Farkle, BiPlanes, AstroSmash and Flying Tigers need for development?   

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

<sarcasm>If by that you mean he was voluntold to leave .... </sarcasm>

I have no idea what his deal was, I just wanted to use the word "voluntold" in a sentence ;-) 

He's a good guy, he made a bet and honoured it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Mr_Me seems to be judging this on the basis of "beyond a reasonable doubt" -- as in, you can't prove that Amico was in fact NOT awesome and ready to go and everyone on board was super talented and they never had any delays and Amico just hit a streak of bad luck.

Myself and others are more on team "preponderance of evidence," a lower standard, by which it sure looks like they burned through all the money they collected, and don't have much to show for it, and if we're wrong, there should be some product out there to show us by now. 

Where I come from, if you're selling something, the burden of proof is on the seller. That seems to be controversial for some people who really want this thing to happen. 

@phoenixdownita that Geek Getaway guy was a member here for a brief time before he was banned for something?

Looking at the archive, he was banned for bringing up politics - https://amicoage.neocities.org/270.html

Tony could not help himself from bringing up politics again, so he won't be participating anymore.:waving:

Which in this case seems to be him calling out Tommy using One Angry Gamer as a source.

Edited by SteveTheColecoDude
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Oh, I'm simply talking about reference points.  I don't expect a company to read full threads, but I still think there is value to be gained from knowing what not to do in regards to how you interact with the community you are trying to sell to, especially when it comes to critical opinions.  At the end of the day if you really believe in your product you wouldn't have to constantly defend it. 

It really is about focusing on the right priorities and I think that was the downfall of I.E.  They liked talking a big game, but all they have to show for it 4 yrs later is a couple of prototypes and "physical" cardboard games. 

It was quite clear they hit a major development rut back in 2021 when we saw basically no real progress on games and the system. Covid and Parts shortage should not hault game development, especially the kinds of games that were being worked on for Amico.  We are not talking expansive open world 3D game designs here that require 4+ yrs of development and large teams.  Realisitically how long do games on the level of Night Stalker, Farkle, BiPlanes, AstroSmash and Flying Tigers need for development?   

I agree about the critical opinion. Let the product do the talking. I really watched too many of those dumb YT interviews because they were all big claims.

Speaking of MLB, them acting like paying money for licenses meant they were legit. Think about all the money they blowed on games like MLB which (being nice) looked bad. They lacked focus.

Iirc Nick R said they were targeting families with kids under 5 correct? Their only games for that were the Sesame Street games. But there is no reason for me to spend $250, 280, or 340 when a $28 tablet will do.

The rut was before 2021. Late 2021 may have been the only time they could have got them manufactured but didn't because they didn't want to spend the money. That lack of progress was seen in 2020 as well. I remember trying to make that point that Covid wouldn't affect software dev. That is why when the Fundable cpaign showed up you could see the rut had already started. OS, backend, and pack ins weren't complete. That was all stuff that should/could have been worked on during covid.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I agree about the critical opinion. Let the product do the talking. I really watched too many of those dumb YT interviews because they were all big claims.

Speaking of MLB, them acting like paying money for licenses meant they were legit. Think about all the money they blowed on games like MLB which (being nice) looked bad. They lacked focus.

Iirc Nick R said they were targeting families with kids under 5 correct? Their only games for that were the Sesame Street games. But there is no reason for me to spend $250, 280, or 340 when a $28 tablet will do.

The rut was before 2021. Late 2021 may have been the only time they could have got them manufactured but didn't because they didn't want to spend the money. That lack of progress was seen in 2020 as well. I remember trying to make that point that Covid wouldn't affect software dev. That is why when the Fundable cpaign showed up you could see the rut had already started. OS, backend, and pack ins weren't complete. That was all stuff that should/could have been worked on during covid.

Yeah, I wonder how that MLB Baseball game is looking these days...   I still find that video review he did of High Heat Baseball 2003 quite ironic since he bashed it for poor graphics, especially the "lazy" crowd texture map. 

Yet, this is how Amico Baseball looks.  Yeah, I know "early alpha footage", but surprised he would show it so early considering how critical of graphics he was back in the day.  

I think they should have used that MLB license to make a NES R.B.I Baseball 2D/2.5D remake.  Take the best of what makes that game awesome to this day and improve on the things that could have made it even better like fielding. 

P.S.  It's quite amazing how quickly toddlers can figure out modern tech.  I think too many people underestimate what kids can grasp when it comes to technology. When my Niece was around 3 yrs old she had no trouble using a mouse and keyboard to navigate Windows to find her games and play them.

Baseball.JPG

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Yeah, I wonder how that MLB Baseball game is looking these days...   I still find that video review he did of High Heat Baseball 2003 quite ironic since he bashed it for poor graphics, especially the "lazy" crowd texture map. 

Yet, this is how Amico Baseball looks.  Yeah, I know "early alpha footage", but surprised he would show it so early considering how critical of graphics he was back in the day.  

I think they should have used that MLB license to make a NES R.B.I Baseball 2D/2.5D remake.  Take the best of what makes that game awesome to this day and improve on the things that could have made it even better like fielding. 

P.S.  It's quite amazing how quickly toddlers can figure out modern tech.  I think too many people underestimate what kids can grasp when it comes to technology. When my Niece was around 3 yrs old she had no trouble using a mouse and keyboard to navigate Windows to find her games and play them.

Baseball.JPG

Almost anything would look better than what they showed. A simple game like RBI would be ideal and doesn't get much simpler. If they were going for that look the MLB license isn't a big deal. I can't tell that's the Cards or NY from looking at the players. The last Tecmo Bowl game on DS didn't have team names. Just do that and add simple features to change colors and names.

I wouldn't worry about the reviews of games. I doubt he played most the games he reviewed. 

PS: my kid doesn't have the mouse thing figured out but doesn't seem or mom use it much either. Tablets and Switch he does though. We were winding down one night listening to music. I went upstairs and the goober got the Switch off the dock and loaded up Cruisin Blast. Lol 

Really the Switch is the best of modern. It has small controllers that are easy for young hands and also functions similar to a tablet. So will crow about the touchscreens but kids are use to looking at the screen they are touching. Not look down to touch something that changes something at top. All the games shown will have young kids struggle with splitting their attention that way.

They got the SS games which are great but will be better on a tablet ($28 vs $280) and they don't really have much else of value for kids. Shark Shark and that Care Bear Carts. 

This is a game I got on Switch for $5. It is adorable. It has letters, shapes, numbers, direction, memory games, and cute videos. And my kid won't be called a gaming racist by Nintendo.

Just because the games are rated E doesn't mean they are for young kids.

• Like 1

So not to change the subject, but to speculate a little.

If Covid never happened, would the Amico had made it to market, and how well would it have done?  No supply chain issues, no missed dates... Would it have hit the mark or still followed the same path it did today?

So was it a bust from day one, or was it really because of Covid.  It's hard to get Raspberry Pi4's now, I can't imagine the Amico ever being produced as a new product.

What they should do is sell the games to another system and run IE as a software only company making Intellivision titles for other systems. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

If Covid never happened, would the Amico had made it to market, and how well would it have done?  No supply chain issues, no missed dates... Would it have hit the mark or still followed the same path it did today?

So was it a bust from day one, or was it really because of Covid.  It's hard to get Raspberry Pi4's now, I can't imagine the Amico ever being produced as a new product.

What they should do is sell the games to another system and run IE as a software only company making Intellivision titles for other systems. 

It was a project too big for what they could actually handle, covid or no covid.  I personally think they would still not be ready to launch a console even if Covid never happened.  There are too many examples of other companies who were developing their products during the height of covid and managed to release something, even with some delays. 

For a console that was supposed to release in OCT 2020 they are still too far behind in regards to game development progress and system software for Covid to be the blame.   This should be at a state where the only thing they should need is parts and a manufacturing deal, but they still don't even have all the built in games finished, I know because I asked John Alvarado on one of those streams and he said only like 2 of the pack ins are in a Gold state. 

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

They still would have missed 10/10/2020. They never had parts secured early enough for one, and then you have the issue of software and firmware on top of that. 2020 should have been locked in at the end of 2019 in terms of having parts.

Covid was a convenient excuse for 2020. Now 2021 was a problem of finalizing the software and firmware, and then not wanting to pay to have them made. Rumor is they could have made them at the end of 2021, but didn't want to spend the money and take a loss.

So if there was no covid I would say it would have come out summer 2021. Assuming the firmware people were able to get things figured out in time.

They should have just eaten a loss at the end of 2021 to save a little face and get people the stuff they paid for. Get people buying the games (assuming they are done). Try and get some good will out there. They aren't even giving refunds and still can't tell anyone what their path is.

34 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

It was a project too big for what they could actually handle, covid or no covid.  I personally think they would still not be ready to launch a console even if Covid never happened.  There are too many examples of other companies who were developing their products during the height of covid and managed to release something, even with some delays. 

For a console that was supposed to release in OCT 2020 they are still too far behind in regards to game development progress and system software for Covid to be the blame.   This should be at a state where the only thing they should need is parts and a manufacturing deal, but they still don't even have all the built in games finished, I know because I asked John Alvarado on one of those streams and he said only like 2 of the pack ins are in a Gold state. 

We know Cornhole wasn't. I wonder how many of those they had to finish in house because money ran out to pay the devs? Think about it, Alvarado was the one fixing Cornhole and not the devs who knew the code and such the best.