IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

5 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Happy new Amico year everyone!

Amazon has declared 2024 to be the year of Amico. Has anyone ever seen a bigger video game company who has never produced a console, nor a game?

Screenshot_20230101-082425_Amazon_Shopping.thumb.jpg.79dfb8fe01460e8cf473028f98fa9f8c.jpg

Hope the new Tempest is day 1 release!!

amico - tempest.png

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, rayik said:

Hope the new Tempest is day 1 release!!

amico - tempest.png

Assuming that isn't 100% a lie. Think of how much money they wasted on license that they didn't get anything started on. They even stopped showing some of the Atari games. I net even if they did release the console some of those things have expired. Maybe not all.

unknown-3.thumb.png.892b3166dc3344e83f492f2f551271e8.png

• Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Tommy2D said:

When Jay Allard was at Intellivision, it was a bit like when the Pakleds captured Geordi La Forge. 

At least old Jay probably racked up some juicy consulting fees.  

Poor J probably had no clue what he was stepping into. He probably didn't know anything about how Tommy was in actuality. 

I also don't see Tommy listening to J since he thought he knew it all.

unknown.png.c95efebbcfe2a0a6a42184114eddc5af.png

• Haha 3

You know, I really wonder if all those NDAs did more harm than good for the console. While having every person who ever touches it and has some cachet sign one certainly prevents any negative comments, it all seems a bit paranoid. I can understand that controlling the message is important, but I really think controlling the message requires competent official marketing channels to ensure the positive message gets out - something IE had no idea how to do.

Can we really say that people like Metal Jesus would have unabashedly trashed the console? If so, that means it was a trash heap to begin with, but if it wasn't, even tepid praise is better than absolutely zero communication outside curated shills.  I really think the "cram an NDA down everyone's throat" strategy (which is almost completely in line with a certain CEO's somewhat frantic behavior regarding "haters") prevented some otherwise positive vibes to be created, ultimately contributing to the complete collapse of everything (or at least preventing any counter defense to the utter lack of interest).

• Like 6

10 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Assuming that isn't 100% a lie. Think of how much money they wasted on license that they didn't get anything started on. They even stopped showing some of the Atari games. I net even if they did release the console some of those things have expired. Maybe not all.

What are the odds they actuslly had theTempest license. Can it be less than 0%?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

You know, I really wonder if all those NDAs did more harm than good for the console. While having every person who ever touches it and has some cachet sign one certainly prevents any negative comments, it all seems a bit paranoid. I can understand that controlling the message is important, but I really think controlling the message requires competent official marketing channels to ensure the positive message gets out - something IE had no idea how to do.

Can we really say that people like Metal Jesus would have unabashedly trashed the console? If so, that means it was a trash heap to begin with, but if it wasn't, even tepid praise is better than absolutely zero communication outside curated shills.  I really think the "cram an NDA down everyone's throat" strategy (which is almost completely in line with a certain CEO's somewhat frantic behavior regarding "haters") prevented some otherwise positive vibes to be created, ultimately contributing to the complete collapse of everything (or at least preventing any counter defense to the utter lack of interest).

None of the shills had NDAs until RetroBro finally broke away and started to talk about the behind the scenes stuff.

I don't think MJR and company would have blasted it even if he had shown an LED turd.

The former CEO did act spastic an paranoid and it was a huge red flag. I think what is worse than any of the NDAs is the inability to actually show off anything. 

Supposedly the hardware was done in 2019 and "ready to launch" in 2020. (Going with the assumption it was done) Their E3 presentation could have shown how the console works. Instead they showed very little and made it a pitch for more money. 

This is the importance of how Tommy had built a cult. The Amicolytes fell in line and wouldn't report any issues. Nor would they ask any hard questions. Doing so would make you fall out of favor with Tommy and each other.

If you paid any attention you could see RetroBro struggling with leaving the group. No NDAs required. Until Saggy broke the news that the company had private meeting with these people on how to spin their crappy financial paperwork. Saggy Melonz probably said the more damning thing than any hater or CUPodcast. She outed them as flailing and showing they needed these low tier YTers to fake it for them.

Supposedly they are all under NDAs now. NDAs weren't the problem. The inability to actually show anything was the issue.

The console "was ready" to be released in 2020. It is now 2023. Where are the pieces like this? https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/07/playdate-preview-you-wont-believe-how-fun-this-dorky-179-game-system-is/

The closest they got was IGN ME where they noted lag and then IE went frantic and claimed it was old firmware or whatever. Once again the lag was there and they couldn't handle anything. The two options with IGN ME is that they were trying to hide the lag, or so terrible that they can't update their console before showing it off. I believe it's both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, rayik said:

What are the odds they actuslly had theTempest license. Can it be less than 0%?

Were Tommy's lips moving?

Them buying licenses without someone actively working on a game would be a dumb thing to do. So it would fit in line with their poor choices.

So I think they have/had a bunch of licenses. With the exception of Tron. If they had any Disney property they would have pushed that heavily. They just didn't have anyone working on them actively. 

Tommy probably emailed someone saying hey would you like to make (insert game)? If the dev said yes, Tommy marked it as a game "in development". When in reality the devs were waiting for the checks to come in to work on them. I believe Mike Mika at DE gave that impression in his interview.

• Like 1

I think the NDAs were a common practice. MJR said he had to sign one at 2019 E3. They may not have given them to their cultivated muppets, at least at that time, but they definitely were handing them out like candy for anyone not "absolutely trustworthy," so to speak.

I just can't imagine a situation where that does anything other than raise concern that something is wrong AND prevents any rational explanation or focus on positive things.

I think worst case, without them, you get a slew of popular media types saying "Well it's definitely not great but here's some cool things and they said they're still working out the kinks so I can see promise here." Nobody would interpret that as "DUMPSTER FIRE, DO NOT BUY".....but if everyone says "oh I can't talk about it" three years after it's supposed to be done? BURN DUMPSTER BURN.

Perhaps they saw the way Atari handled the VCS, and knee-jerk clamped down on anyone talking about Amico rather than fixing/developing the console itself.

• Like 5

There’s nothing wrong with an NDA in and of itself. Stuff changes, and it can damage the project if you air too much dirty laundry. You know who should have been under NDA the whole time? @Tommy Tallarico and his constantly changing story. 

@Albert I know you’re busy with other things, but I respectfully suggest you’re doing the community a disservice by keeping all of the Amico fanfare threads hidden. Why not move them into Archived Threads with a disclaimer saying that the company is out of money and the thing is unlikely to launch? I doubt anyone would mistake preservation and transparency for the original sales pitch. It’s a powerful cautionary tale, and burying it reflects badly on retro gamers, more so than letting it air out. Sunlight is a great disinfectant. Let people see why the “reputation” leaderboard is the way it is, and let people learn from this. 

@Cebus Capucinis The way NDA was used by Amico was to try and control every aspect of the message, because the real audience for their performance was clueless investors. So long as Intellivision Entertainment could flood the search results with excited-looking retro bros and the occasional captive child, a casual user of Teeka Tiwari’s Palm Beach Investment Club might think Amico wasn’t a terrible idea with no legs. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

I think the NDAs were a common practice. MJR said he had to sign one at 2019 E3. They may not have given them to their cultivated muppets, at least at that time, but they definitely were handing them out like candy for anyone not "absolutely trustworthy," so to speak.

I just can't imagine a situation where that does anything other than raise concern that something is wrong AND prevents any rational explanation or focus on positive things.

I think worst case, without them, you get a slew of popular media types saying "Well it's definitely not great but here's some cool things and they said they're still working out the kinks so I can see promise here." Nobody would interpret that as "DUMPSTER FIRE, DO NOT BUY".....but if everyone says "oh I can't talk about it" three years after it's supposed to be done? BURN DUMPSTER BURN.

Perhaps they saw the way Atari handled the VCS, and knee-jerk clamped down on anyone talking about Amico rather than fixing/developing the console itself.

In regards to MJR, I think you are right about the NDAs.

This goes for the lag issue too. I would fully expect that to be fixed by release. So me seeing it in videos isn't an issue. Them lying and getting the Amicolytes to lie about the lag, that my own eyes can see, is a bigger red flag.

Them saying, "Hey we are having optimization issues and are working on fixing it before release," would have gone further with me. Instead, them trying to act like it isn't there gives me zero trust they will fix it. I don't care whose grave he swears on. He is a habitual liar. I have no way to see if said people are rolling over or doing tumbling routines in their grave. I do have eyes that can see that he is lying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

The way NDA was used by Amico was to try and control every aspect of the message, because the real audience for their performance was clueless investors.

Agreed, and that's the point I think I'm getting at. NDAs are standard - I draft them all the time for my clients - but they're not used in the way IE used them, which I think is incredibly damaging and unhelpful. But then again it's not surprising they made yet another bad choice in regard to their product given the track record.

• Like 5

How about some real leadership starting in 2023 at Intellivision Entertainment?

Some new year suggestions!

1. Update the Fig/Republic investors of the status of the Amico release date and the company. 

2. No more hiding behind shill investor Youtube channels. 

3. Update the website to reflect the current situation. Show a full list of upcoming games, whatever is left and still being worked on.

4. Be more vocal of whats going on, no more broken promises. If the console is on hold pending funding, tell the public. 

5. Give the people waiting for refunds their refund. Take out a mortgage on your house if you have to. Not giving refunds makes it look more like a scam. 

6. Make some more gameplay videos of the upcoming games. 

7. If some Amico “exlusives” like Night Stalker and Cloudy Mountain are getting Limited Run Games releases on the Switch go ahead and advertise it. 

8. ???  (Fill in your own response)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Were Tommy's lips moving?

Them buying licenses without someone actively working on a game would be a dumb thing to do. So it would fit in line with their poor choices.

So I think they have/had a bunch of licenses. With the exception of Tron. If they had any Disney property they would have pushed that heavily. They just didn't have anyone working on them actively. 

Don't forget TT response to every game title suggested was that it would be made for the Amico.  Each and every game that was suggested.  TT stating they had the Tempest license was in response to someone asking would Tempest be on the Amico.

Clearly it was promise every game imaginable to get people just to buy the console.  If the game did not appear, no loss to IE as they got the console sale anyways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1