IGNORED

Did any group ever start converting It Came from the Desert?

This is one of my all time fav' games, my personal fav' Cinemaware game due to the variety and complexity of the game world. I was wondering if any group had ever attempted to port this to the 1040ST/1040STE given how well games like Defender of the Crown and Rocket Ranger turned out on the ST. A lot more complex than Wings, which is mostly audio visual fluff surrounding 3 mini games (one of which is not that fun and the other gets a bit boring)

Was sad when development of the modern Unreal Engine remake for Windows was shut down (no doubt a copyright issue as the single guy working on it had nothing to do with Cinemaware or Starbreeze who own all their IP today).

Doing 'conversion' of such game is huge task.  Especially without source code, graphic design parts and like.  And I doubt that Amiga sources will be ever available.    And fact that they did not make Atari ST or better would be STE version indicates that it would be very big task.

Working thousands of hours on port (that would be more correct word than conversion) of game, what will play max 100 people on whole planet (let's be realistic) really does not seem likely .

On 7/6/2022 at 7:16 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Doing 'conversion' of such game is huge task.  Especially without source code, graphic design parts and like.  And I doubt that Amiga sources will be ever available.    And fact that they did not make Atari ST or better would be STE version indicates that it would be very big task.

Working thousands of hours on port (that would be more correct word than conversion) of game, what will play max 100 people on whole planet (let's be realistic) really does not seem likely .

Was weird they stopped with the ST after Rocket Ranger (I think). Just spent an hour playing it on a real Amiga for the first time in over a decade and it is their most complex game. All of the action sequences use the standard Kickstart libraries for the graphics, workbench is still running in the background, so the biggest problem for demo quality coder would be the atmospheric sound/music in the game. 

The problem like you say is the enormity of the task, as far as I know the files are all in standard AmigaDOS format on standard disks but it certainly would be a massive task but I was just curious if any group looked into it and even started it. Worst of all the free modern remake of the game using Unreal Engine which looks awesome on Youtube has just stopped and all the dev blogs closed off, totally silent and no explanation so it's a massive copyright problem on top of it I suspect. 

Personally I would just do a similar game, maybe based on the movie Tremors, copyright just gets in the way of retrogaming updates. It's a miracle you can still download Super Mario C64 after all that hoo-ha.

• Like 1