IGNORED

calling all electrical guru's: video mod unstable picture

jforte5650

First I tried the simple tie them all together video mod, and then Ben Heckendorn's video mod. Both of them worked good on a video monitor I have, but neither of them will work on my LCD which has RCA inputs. I have the same problem when connecting them to a VCR. The video is unstable. Sometimes on the video monitor the picture drifts upward. what causes this? Which mod would you recomend next? is there anything I can adjust? BTW, it's a heavy 6er

It's not your VCS, It maybe the LCD. I know they don't work with a pong unit, maybe the VCS is the same.

But, the portable units used LCD, so I don't really know... maybe you could try a friends LCD screen?

The VCR part- I don't know. Could it be the signal is too weak ? try increasing the voltage , maybe that could be the problem. Just dont go over 12 Volts.

Of course I have no Idea what I'm talking about.

Most likely because the signal isn't buffered. you have to be careful about building video circuits...if they aren't impedance matched, they could get dirty "ghosting" effects. Or they could simply start very bright, fade to black, and stay there. Or they could simply just stay at black.

I'm rambling...sorry. Try one of the mods with a transistor output. That might help. Or wait until my mod is officially released. It should solve all your problems. What model of 2600 do you have?

-Chris

Sorry....played baseball the last 2 nights, and fell asleep as soon as I got home. :D

So....the sixer is giving me some trouble. I installed the mod on a non-heavy sixer, (Tele-Games) and it works great. The problem is fitting it inside the shield and then getting the cables out without modifying the console. It's crazy! Not to mention that the TIA chip is turned 180 degrees from all the other models. Grrr.... It's an ongoing effort.

I've tested it with various C= monitors, and a Sony 31 inch TV that's a couple of years old. But my primary setup is a PC with a Radeon AiW 7500 video card installed. Looks great on all of these. I don't have access to a LCD display, but if you send me one for my birthday I'll test it with the mod! ;)

-Chris

So....the sixer is giving me some trouble.  I installed the mod on a non-heavy sixer, (Tele-Games) and it works great.  The problem is fitting it inside the shield and then getting the cables out without modifying the console.  It's crazy!

That's the same model I have. Yep... it's pretty tight in there. I never got to the point of actually putting mine back together with the mod attached. Would a ribbon cable do the trick?

which mod are you talking about that worked in all of those situations?

The one that I created. It's not available to the public yet, but it will be RSN. AFAIK, It's the only 2600 mod that produces valid NTSC signals by design. The outputs are impedance matched too. It also has adjustments for contrast, brightness, and saturation. And stereo sound, of course.

-Chris

which mod are you talking about that worked in all of those situations?

The one that I created. It's not available to the public yet, but it will be RSN. AFAIK, It's the only 2600 mod that produces valid NTSC signals by design. The outputs are impedance matched too. It also has adjustments for contrast, brightness, and saturation. And stereo sound, of course.

-Chris

Chris.. I'm getty antsy.. any tenative release dates? I've been holding off modding for your release!

Chris.. I'm getty antsy.. any tenative release dates? I've been holding off modding for your release!

Heh. You think YOU'RE getting antsy! Think how I feel after 4 years of this! :x

We're targeting an October release, with a November shipping schedule.

All that's left is to solve the mechanical problems with the sixers and we're good to go!

-Chris

At least show them the prototype that you showed me in Vegas. That's at least something to drool over for a while.  :D

Heh...that's a good idea. I just got my camera back, too! :)

Image 1: These are the boards I showed at CGE. They are both incomplete prototypes, meant for testing only.

Image 2: This is a photo of the newest prototype, complete with all features. It's currently installed in my lab machine, a 2600 jr. You'll notice the black S-video cable (next to the cart) and the RCA twin audio cable (red & white plugs)....

Image 3: This is a direct screen capture of Pitfall II in action. I made this capture while the prototype was installed in a 7800.

Oh yeah. The board sitting beside the Jr. is a prior version that was shown at CGE2K. (or was it CGE2K1?) It was used to help demo the Cuttle Cart from Schell's Electronics. It's way low tech and much less nice compared to the current revision.

Swwweeeeet!

-Chris

post-260-1063870543_thumb.jpg

post-260-1063870544_thumb.jpg

post-260-1063870543_thumb.png

how much will you be asking for these?   oh, and does anyone have any experience stories to tell me about using mods on their heavy sixers?

The final price has to be worked out with the distributor. (Yeah, it's far enough along that distribution talks are happening.) It will be pretty expensive, but it will be the end all, be all video mod. No home should be without one!

Electrically, the heavy sixer is the same as all the other (3 chip) models. There may be minor schematic differences, but it's the same basic output section. If you're performing one of the hacks from the web, you just have to find the same points in the circuit. Mechanically though, it's a bitch. Space is tight and you probably don't want to drill holes in the aluminum shield, if you're a collector. Otherwise, it shouldn't be hard.

are any of them solderless?

CPUWIZ is right. This was designed from the ground up to be the 2600 equivilent of a plug-in video card for a PC. Without requiring drivers. :)

-Chris

• 1 month later...