IGNORED

Intellivision Black Screen…Kinda

vmig95

I bought an intellivision with the intellivoice module and 3 games. I hook it up, black screen. 

After cleaning with alcohol, i did happen to get a title screen before it went back to black. 

I opened the system and unplugged anything I could and replugged. Nothing.

I then unplugged the controllers and it gave title screen. Then plugged one in and it actually started playing the game. The reset button was also working. Shortly after (seconds), it went back to black screen. 

For the short instance it shows title screen and when the game came

up, the colors and graphics looked crisp. 

i have a local game store that will open it and wipe everything down with contact cleaner. They think that will do it but we have no clue. 

i have no clue how to solder or anything like that and really really want to get this working as it completes my trifecta (2600, coleco, and intelli.) 

I cant swing to put more money into another system now so I am unsure of what to do. 

i am going ti being it the game store and brainstorm, ubreakifix also said they fix retro consoles, but I want to be sure its something either of these places could handle. 

Guys, please help me get this system up so I can play it.

Alcohol is not a good cleaner for copper contacts in my experience, but the humidity help conductivity for a while and maybe that is the reason of a glimpse of the screen.

For me, (And I have done it multiple times with great results) is using anty rust spray oil, spray a little in the cart port and insert a cart several times, this will get ride of the rust in the contacts, and lube them. no need to clean, it will protrect them from further rust for a while. This also clean the cart, so you can clean all the carts also.

It will not produce any shorts or damage in the Electronics. I learned this trick from a guy that use to cover the Intellivision warranties in the 80´s, still have his shop open.

28 minutes ago, edintv said:

Alcohol is not a good cleaner for copper contacts in my experience, but the humidity help conductivity for a while and maybe that is the reason of a glimpse of the screen.

For me, (And I have done it multiple times with great results) is using anty rust spray oil, spray a little in the cart port and insert a cart several times, this will get ride of the rust in the contacts, and lube them. no need to clean, it will protrect them from further rust for a while. This also clean the cart, so you can clean all the carts also.

It will not produce any shorts or damage in the Electronics. I learned this trick from a guy that use to cover the Intellivision warranties in the 80´s, still have his shop open.

Would be some good anti rust pray you'd recommend? I have cleaned the living hell out of the port with just a glasses cloth, credit card, and alcohol. 

While I could be wrong on this...the fact that with the controllers disconnected you are able to get something to come up makes me thing that perhaps the controllers are either wired wrong way around, or that some of the contacts inside the controller are making constant contact and causing the system to think 1+9 has been pressed... 

For those that don't know 1+9 on most games will make the game pause to a black screen.

On 7/10/2022 at 6:40 PM, vmig95 said:

i have a local game store that will open it and wipe everything down with contact cleaner. They think that will do it but we have no clue. 

You never mentioned what Intellivision version you bought. You either have a Sears INTV I, or an INTV II since you can unplug your controllers. Which model do you have?

I don't think the local repair shop are going to be familiar with something this old. It would be a waste of time and money. The fact that it still went black after you got it working temporarily tells me your unit could have any number of problems. A poor DC power supply, a failing IC Chip, or a host of other things.

You say you don't want to spend any money to fix it, but I am afraid you will need an experienced INTV rebuilder. I am sure CrossBow can do this although his specialty is more with upgrading with Mod Kits and all makes of older gaming consoles. I only work with INTV's so that is my specialty. There are a few others I am not aware of. My point is you are going to need to spend some money with an experienced INTV Rebuilder.

Also, if your game cartridge port pins are clean looking metal, alcohol is good enough. I have never seen one with rusty pins.... if I did, I would replace that part if I ever saw this condition. Also clean the game contact pads with a Q-tip & isopropyl.

When you bought this, did seller say it worked? Remember these are 40+ years old and susceptible to many age related problems. 

I had an Intellivision II that would not start early Mattel games with one of the controllers plugged in.

If I took out the bad controller, it would work.

But put in a game that bypasses the standard title screen.  Bump n jump may be a good test.  Imagic games also.

I was able to open the bad controller, clean it and put it back together, with a little tap ;)   and it worked for years!

Take both controllers out, see if it "works"  Yes, you cannot play, but does the title screen stay on for 5 mins.

It will go black after 5 minutes, this is normal.   Burn in prevention.  My Dad was worried about it BITD, so, I think this was a wise move to stop one of the video game haters arguments.