IGNORED

Pac-Man on TIME Magazine a hoax?

Slicer

Hello Guys and Dolls,

i am about to write an article on Atari/Videogaming issues back in the 80s and came across the fact that Pac-Man once was Man of the year on a past TIME Magazine issue.

While browsing nearly all 80s covers of the magazine (possible on time.com) i didn't find the issue with Pac-Man on the front cover.

Does anybody know if this thing exists, or is it just a hoax? Event better would be if anybody own that issue.

Please help -

Slicer

Al, thanks for the hint. I know about the MAD Pac-Man spoof (MAD issue 233). Also on the cover of MAD issue 157 with Space Invaders. Both are already part of my planned article (with the scans of the issued pages).

In this connection i want to point out to the TIME magazine article with scans. Maybe someone here owns that issue or knows more?

Thanks - Slicer

Artlover,

uuhh - also thank you. I know this one already, but it's unfortunately not the issue searched. "The Pac Men" is about stock exchange and business, rather than videogames.

I know there must be an issue with (Videogame) Pac-Man on the cover. It's also referenced many times on the web.

Someone else?

Slicer

Artlover,

uuhh - also thank you. I know this one already, but it's unfortunately not the issue searched. "The Pac Men" is about stock exchange and business, rather than videogames.

I know there must be an issue with (Videogame) Pac-Man on the cover. It's also referenced many times on the web.

Someone else?

Slicer

To the best of my knowledge Pac-Man was never Time's man of the year. The only time a non-human was Man of the Year was when Time designated the computer. You are thinking of the Mad Magazine (Time and Mad are both put out by the same company (AOL-Time-Warner) so it's not that far off).

rolenta,

so i came across a hoax. Mentioned several times, but i guess you are right. It just was the MAD magazine and not the Time magazine. Some minutes ago i stepped on http://www.stc.org/STC@50/1980.asp which also tell the same.

Anyway in my opinion Pac-Man should have been Man of the year :wink:

Thanks for all the vital input,

Slicer

Germany/Hamburg

Web: http://www.atari-spielanleitungen.de

MrRetroGamer,

interesting! I didn't know that one :)

Are you able to mail me (atarimail@yahoo.de) the scans (cover page and article pages regarding the story referenced on the cover) of the Video Games Magazine article? This would fit almost perfectly into the article i would like to write. I then would translate the content into german and would show some images of the scanned pages.

Just trying to buy the MAD magazine with Pac-Man on cover myself. It's the US issue. The MAD magazine (No. 233) in german has a different cover.

I would appreciate your help :twisted: Slicer

MrRetroGamer,

interesting! I didn't know that one :)  

Are you able to mail me (atarimail@yahoo.de) the scans (cover page and article pages regarding the story referenced on the cover) of the Video Games Magazine article? This would fit almost perfectly into the article i would like to write. I then would translate the content into german and would show some images of the scanned pages.

Just trying to buy the MAD magazine with Pac-Man on cover myself. It's the US issue. The MAD magazine (No. 233) in german has a different cover.

I would appreciate your help :twisted: Slicer

Sure I can help! :D If I remember correctly (I'll double check), the article in that issue is like an interview with Pac Man, with various questions and answers. Some are a little silly! :P

How soon do you need the scans? Any preference on the quality/size of the scans? Do you need anything from the MAD issue, I'm not really sure how much inside was related to PAC MAN.

MrRetroGamer - that's nice! I would be happy anytime you could send me the scans :wink:

The quality would be ideal in 300 DPI/JPG. It would be wonderful if you could scan the MAD issue also. You may send the mail(s) to 'antwort@atari-spielanleitungen.de' cause of the inbox limit in Yahoo! webmail (guess it's about 6MB size).

Just tell me when to expect something. You will get a full article (also in native english) on the topic.

:P Slicer

• 4 months later...

Atarians,

at least i wanted to let you know, that i did write an article about this issue and that i used the images you offered me. Pac-Man was Man of the year on the MAD magazine and some others only. But never on TIME magazine.

The article is written in german but maybe it's worth a look.

http://www.atari-spielanleitungen.de/pacma...telespiele.html

Thanks for the help,

Slicer

• 18 years later...