IGNORED

Monkey Music Prototype Found!

Tempest

Thanks to the generous efforts of John Hardie the rom for Monkey Music has finally been released.  While this early version of Grover's Music Maker was known to exist for a long time, the rom was never made public.  In reviewing the game I've discovered that it is very similar to the earlier version of GMM but with completely different tunes and dance moves.  This version also features an 'unlimited freestyle mode' where the player can enter as many notes/moves as they want, but they cannot be played back.  The current known prototypes lack this mode and the number of notes/moves is limited to 50.

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/grover/monkeymusic.htm

I've also overhauled the main Grover's Music Maker page with more info:

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/grover/grover.htm

Programmer Stephan Keith also informed me that he was responsible for the earlier version of Xevious for the 2600 that was ultimately cancelled.  Tod Frye then picked up the project which is the version most of us know today.

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/xevious/earlywip.htm

Both Grover's Music Maker and Monkey Music feature tunes that still haven't been identified (letters R & S in GMM and variation 15 in MM).  I've learned that all the songs were public domain, so that may narrow the possibilities down a bit.  Maybe we can finally figure out what these were supposed to be?

Monkey Music (8-18-82).bin

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

There was a brief mention of this title in Business Week magazine (January 24, 1983, p. 81) in the context of Atari moving into the educational software marketplace.

It claims that “The game teaches the child colors and elementary music notation”. Based on the detailed description, I do not see how either of these statements correct. Perhaps the author of the article did not actually see the game in action.  

17 minutes ago, Crimefighter said:

Someone thinks song R on Grover sounds like "The Last Rose of Summer", an Irish song.

The only recordings I can find for that seem too complex for this tune, so It's hard to tell.  It could just be that it had to simplified to work.  What does everyone else think?  This is the second time this song has been suggested.

16 minutes ago, jhd said:

There was a brief mention of this title in Business Week magazine (January 24, 1983, p. 81) in the context of Atari moving into the educational software marketplace.

It claims that “The game teaches the child colors and elementary music notation”. Based on the detailed description, I do not see how either of these statements correct. Perhaps the author of the article did not actually see the game in action.  

I suppose that could be true if you stretch the definition.  There are blinking colors on the sides of the screen, but you don't see any music notation.

Fun fact:  the blinking colored squares were inspired by the alien communication device in Close Encounters.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tempest said:

The only recordings I can find for that seem too complex for this tune, so It's hard to tell.  It could just be that it had to simplified to work.  What does everyone else think?  This is the second time this song has been suggested.

The tempos are different - try slowing to half speed  -

• 4 months later...

Someone just commented on the Youtube thread the "R" song sounds like Farmer in the Dell, I kinda agree with him...that would be more plausible than Last Rose of Summer. I can't make the Monkey Music ROM play an individual track but the #5 song is named Farmer in the Dell.

Edited by Crimefighter