IGNORED

Power ADAM with TI-99/4a power supply?

Solitaire01

Hi! Just scored an ADAM but am very hard pressed to find space for it all. I’d like to opt out of the printer and put it in storage. 

Any smart folks able to advise if the power adapter and internal power supply of a TI can power an ADAM with the right connector? I happen to have a dead TI with a good power supply. It’s small, and easy to extract and repackage for this purpose. It’ll do the 12/5/-5 but I’m not sure if at the correct amperage.

Cheers,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all -- I'm getting ready to mod the ADAM this week.  I noticed the RT-50a I bought has a single 12v line, vs. the ADAM and evidently the RT-50b with a second 12v line.  Can someone please advise how I should address it?  Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, I see the 50b is actually -12v!  I presume I simply don't power one of the 12v lines?

Cheers!

Edited by Solitaire01

Just want to thank everyone who replied and steered me in the right direction.  My Expansion Module #3 now has an internal power supply, as well as a toggle switch to draw power from either the original DE-9 port via a powered printer or from the internal power supply.  In either case, the printer will still work as I didn't cut the data lines.  The inside is now overflowing with wires (I was over-zealous with the 16 gauge wire and wish I'd gone with 18 to make cable management a bit better).  However, it all fit together (with a bit of squeezing...!).

I snipped the power pins from the inside of the DE-9 connector and routed them to a toggle switch, then back to the underside of the mainboard where I could solder them back.  In both cases it was a nightmare.  I'm not sure the connections could survive another teardown so I've got no plans on cracking it open for another 40 years...!

While I was at it, I recreated the front badge in Photoshop.  Had to use two different fonts and some weird spacing but other than the "#" it looks pretty close I think.  A bit hard to tell from the very fuzzy photos I could find on the Internet (my EM3 came w/o badge).

Can't wait for my Fujinet to get here!

20220805_184657724_iOS.jpg

20220805_192143900_iOS.jpg

20220806_024001355_iOS.jpg

20220806_044357152_iOS.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on the Mod/Install and hope you get a lot of years of use out of the system. I didn't realize that you had an EM#3 Memory Console or else I would have looked for the pics by Jim Walters (?) of the internal power supply mod that he did... but your install is pretty spot on to what I recall. There's a lot less room to work with in the EM#3 versus the Stand-Alone Memory Console, so job well done!

Great idea re the switch for using the ADAM Printer/Power or the new internal power supply. If I am understanding correctly, this setup keeps the ADAMnet communication from the ADAM Printer ON at all times, but power from the Printer can be enabled/disabled?

Which FujiNet device did you end up purchasing? Currently there are 3 people / 4 different devices that have been made for the ADAM.

4 hours ago, NIAD said:

Great idea re the switch for using the ADAM Printer/Power or the new internal power supply. If I am understanding correctly, this setup keeps the ADAMnet communication from the ADAM Printer ON at all times, but power from the Printer can be enabled/disabled?

Which FujiNet device did you end up purchasing? Currently there are 3 people / 4 different devices that have been made for the ADAM.

Thanks! That’s correct; the data and ground lines from the DE9 connector remain untouched, with only the four power lines being cut and rerouted through the toggle switch and back. As long as the printer is turned on first the ADAM sees it. I was thrilled when it all worked…

i ordered the one from VintageComputer.com for USD$75.99 - I hope it’s a good one as I didn’t know there were variants!

Cheers!

57 minutes ago, Solitaire01 said:

i ordered the one from VintageComputer.com for USD$75.99 - I hope it’s a good one as I didn’t know there were variants!

I'm not familiar with VintageComputer.com, but I would assume that would be the external unit made by Mozzwald.

There is also an external unit made by AtariAge member Masteries that can be used with Atari computers... options for different cables for each system.

Then there are the units made by John Lundy (AtariAge member tekman). The external Fuji Lite and the internal Data Drive bay version.

ADAM-FujiNet-v1.0-Front.jpg

Masteries - Low Cost FujiNet ADAM v1.6 - #01.jpg

fuji lite by John Lundy #01.jpg

Lundy - Internal FujiNet ADAM - #05.jpg

• 3 weeks later...