IGNORED

Atari 5200 remake?

Ecernosoft

Hello!

I currently own a 2600 and a 7800 (The 7800 is origonal, stock RF, and includes the side port) and later would like to buy a 5200 BUT I am not for 4 reasons:

1. I'd like a 4 port but those tend to have video/audio issues.

2. 2 port models can't play all the games.

3. That thing is HUGE! 

4. The controllers.... dear god the controllers! 

Is there a remake of the 5200 BUT uses the origonal hardware? (Not an emulator box)

Just asking, thanks!

1 hour ago, Ecernosoft said:

Hello!

I currently own a 2600 and a 7800 (The 7800 is origonal, stock RF, and includes the side port) and later would like to buy a 5200 BUT I am not for 4 reasons:

1. I'd like a 4 port but those tend to have video/audio issues.

2. 2 port models can't play all the games.

3. That thing is HUGE! 

Is there a remake of the 5200 BUT uses the origonal hardware? (Not an emulator box)

Just asking, thanks!

4-port units having audio/video issues? Can you be specific on what you are talking about here?

2 port models can play all the games if you install a 4-port BIOS chip into it. Most of the 5200s have that chip in a socket, so it is literally just a matter of buying a 4-port BIOS burned chip and replacing it out.

Yes, it is a large console, but so is the OG Xbox, Neo-Geo, and especially the Laseractive.

Controller can be repaired and there are other options that can be had if the originals are just not going to work for you.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

4-port units having audio/video issues? Can you be specific on what you are talking about here?

2 port models can play all the games if you install a 4-port BIOS chip into it. Most of the 5200s have that chip in a socket, so it is literally just a matter of buying a 4-port BIOS burned chip and replacing it out.

Yes, it is a large console, but so is the OG Xbox, Neo-Geo, and especially the Laseractive.

Controller can be repaired and there are other options that can be had if the originals are just not going to work for you.

I watched Framerater's video and he said that, IDK if it was just his version, but he talks about the 4 port having video/audio issues at 4:53.

Here is a link: (102) I Bought an Atari 5200... Here's What I Learned - YouTube

4 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

2. 2port models can't play all the games.

3. That thing is HUGE! 

RE:  #2,  Pitfall and Mountain king. So who cares?!  Pitfall is a bad port, harder to jump over scorpions. 

RE:  #3,4:  you really wouldn't like a 5200.  :D

The 5200 isn't the nightmare people might have you believe. It's really quite easy to mod to get sensible power in and usable video out. The controllers can be a PITA and I think every one we've come across has needed work. But they mostly got sorted out, and those that can't, just turn those into Pole Position controllers (one of my two the actual joystick mechanism was broken... So I turned it into a paddle with a gear change. Absolutely awesome for Pole Position and Breakout). But you absolutely do need to calibrate the controllers to your console, which is a bit of a pain... Also we've found that bizarrely 5200's pick up interference in the room we tend to work on them that manifests as judder on the controllers. Move the system to another room and it goes away. So yeah, I suppose they're a little tempramental. Still, bloody awesome console though and I actually like the controller for some things. For others I have an adapter than allows me to run a 7800 controller.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

Just asking, thanks!

You can get a standard PC and load up Altirra.

Or just buy a standard 8-bit computer. It's the same thing. And all the 5200 software's been ported and modded back to the 8-bit comps anyways.

11 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Yeah, but do they use real hardware? The c64 mini and maxi sure dont!

I don't believe so. There've been a-one or a-two clones that use the original C64 SID chip in the design. There've also been a few remakes, doing their best to clone the hardware - but those were inevitably polluted with modern enhancements like PS2/USB/HDMI.

Edited by Keatah

17 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Ok, well I don't think the 5200 is a nightmare. If I could have a working 4 port with normal video out and maybe* a composite mod, I'd like one! But the controllers! 

Well, I don't know that I've really ever noticed a difference in the RF output between the two. Then again, it could very well be that he 4port in that video requires a little tweaking of the RF modulator and audio coil that his 2port didn't need. His remark about the 4ports all having the smooth finish is also not true. I've seen 4 ports with textured plastics same as the 2port units.

And yes... getting an AV upgrade on it removes any of the issues one might have in regards to video and audio. Getting them power modded is another must have I feel.

1 minute ago, Ecernosoft said:

Well, the thing is, with emulated hardware, you don't get to have "The authentic experience" most of the time because they typically have 2 issues:

1. Lag

2. They've got the games built in, making the whole collecting experience obsolete.

I can see that.

My emulator rig is set and geared for what seems like low-lag. And I don't mind if there is some - if in return I get all the other advantages I like (about emulators).

As far as collecting goes. I suppose there's all kinds of collecting. I was (and still am) used to collecting in the virtual world. From the early wArEz days, like with all the scanned docs and all the material from repositories like FTPs and InternetArchive. It's just not a physical box collection that's all. Access and ability to read things from a virtual collection is high on my list.

Everyone has their own gig and there's really no right or wrong.

• Like 2

I'm not exactly a 5200 fanatic as some here, but as an original 5200 launch owner (I still have maybe 4 of them including my original) I have to say don't knock the MiSTer implementation of it. Although of course you'd have to jump through hoops if you want to use the trackball, etc. so for those yeah just stick to an original console. But otherwise it's really quite nice to play an FPGA version of the console and it's my preferred way to play 5200 games when I want to, especially Countermeasure. :)

UjlIomX.jpeg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

I mean, yeah, the 5200 is underrated! But if you could have 5200 on 7800 then that would be even more awesome, as I do have a 7800.

I grew up with the 7800 and 5200.  The 5200 is much better for me.  There are so many great games using analog sticks with better sound.

You mentioned the controllers...the original sticks is what makes the 5200 experience.  Unlike the 7800, you have analog control.  The problem with the sticks was reliability and that has been taken cared of with modern upgrades.  There are also other joystick options.