IGNORED

Megafile - Capacitor replacement?

Greetings all.

Cleaning out my Megafile (dust & etc. build-up for years!) and noticed a glaring Tantalum in the upper left corner.

Have had terrible times with these in old PCs so figured I'd replace it.

Only problem is - what is the value? Is this the only Tantalum one has to pay attention to in the drive?

11.jpg

Thanks

The value should be written on the side, unfortunately I can't make out it's value from the photo, as you say, it's a tantalum bead type

should have a voltage rating and capacitance in uFarads

Update: I don't think that's the right circuit diagram for your drive, in the photo U3 is a 40 pin chip

on the circuit diagram U3 is a 74LS51 which is a 14 pins AND/OR gate

Edited by TGB1718

5 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

The value should be written on the side, unfortunately I can't make out it's value from the photo, as you say, it's a tantalum bead type

should have a voltage rating and capacitance in uFarads

Update: I don't think that's the right circuit diagram for your drive, in the photo U3 is a 40 pin chip

on the circuit diagram U3 is a 74LS51 which is a 14 pins AND/OR gate

Thanks! Should have quoted it - the value on the side simply says "106L" or "I06L". Is this enough to positively identify it?

How curious with the circuit diagram. On the motherboard is printed:

SH205
C100169 REV.5

Reading up, it looks as if this is the 20MB circuit board. Found the schematic for it, which in fact has a C27, but can't really read it (55uf???):

https://ia600206.us.archive.org/26/items/Atari_SH205_Schematic_1987/Atari_SH205_Schematic_1987.pdf

36 minutes ago, snarkdluG said:

106L would be 10uF and that corresponds to the schematics. You can also see the other components besides C27 on the schematics and on the board (CR3, CR6, R8, R19).

SH205_C27.thumb.jpg.6d01cf6a2082edcf150565d4bfee6796.jpg

Thank you! I was looking at the C27 above it. How many Volts should it be? 106 = 10uF 6v? 16v?

10 hours ago, ST-ranger said:

Thank you! I was looking at the C27 above it. How many Volts should it be? 106 = 10uF 6v? 16v?

The first two digits on the number is the value in pico farads. Then the third one is the multiplier. So 10x1000000. I don't really know if L stands for voltage ratings or tolerance. If it's tolerance it should correspond to 15% but in that case it's a bit odd that voltage ratings is not labeled.

I would just go with higher voltage rating. Like 35V or 25V. Anything above 10-16V is fine. It doesn't matter really as long as the rating on the capacitor is larger then the voltage supplied on the rail. When I did a search on google it comes up as 35V.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:40 PM, snarkdluG said:

The first two digits on the number is the value in pico farads. Then the third one is the multiplier. So 10x1000000. I don't really know if L stands for voltage ratings or tolerance. If it's tolerance it should correspond to 15% but in that case it's a bit odd that voltage ratings is not labeled.

I would just go with higher voltage rating. Like 35V or 25V. Anything above 10-16V is fine. It doesn't matter really as long as the rating on the capacitor is larger then the voltage supplied on the rail. When I did a search on google it comes up as 35V.

Thanks. Ended up putting in a 10uF 50v.

Upon boot now, the HDD sounds healthy and am less worried about tantalum-related issues.

However, I can't remember - does one require HDX Utils disk to be in the drive? The HDD doesn't mount on the desktop. Downloaded the hdx504 disk but it doesn't contain any autoboot folders or anything.