IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 17 - Game 3 - Pinball

13 minutes ago, IntellivisionMaster said:

It’s time for a thoughtful commentary on this game: “Worst video pinball game in the history of programming”. Q-Bert is a masterpiece next to this game!

Lol, I would agree that BOTH are pretty bad. To me QBERT is worse. The thing that is absolutely dreadful with this pinball game is on the 2nd screen there are two flippers to the right and there's a little red square between the two flippers. Well the ball will get caught there numerous times and you have to bump the game to dislodge the ball which often results in tilting the game... Pretty fkin stupid programming right there..... 🙄

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

But even the game design, poor sound effects and the tiny little ball!  Even if I was good at the game, it’s not a fun port of pinball by any stretch of the imagination! Why not make the pinball an actual pinball? What’s with the “white dot” that we’re trying to hit? It’s like a mini rubber super-ball. 

Q-Bert needed 2 weeks in the hands of the Blue Sky Rangers to make the controls smooth, perfect the graphics and fix all the sound effects.

Edited by IntellivisionMaster
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, IntellivisionMaster said:

But even the game design, poor sound effects and the tiny little ball!  Even if I was good at the game, it’s not a fun port of pinball by any stretch of the imagination! Why not make the pinball an actual pinball? What’s with the “white dot” that we’re trying to hit? It’s like a mini rubber super-ball that bounces like a 70’s rubber ball. 

Q-Bert needed 2 weeks in the hands of the Blue Sky Rangers to make the controls smooth, perfect the graphics and fix all the sound effects. It has a ton of promise. It’s like 2 weeks away from a great game. (Typical needs of a non-Mattel game). Pinball needs to be scrapped and a brand new pinball game made. That’s my take anyway. 

The controls for QBERT are atrocious. I have to smash the disc to make sure EGGBERT jumps off the pyramid to the flying disc. Also horrible are the two pink bubble gum guys that come up from the bottom. The game woulda been so much better without those two idiots. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Atari 2600 version has these two annoying guys... Yes the graphics for the 2600 port are BAD, but still no bubble gum guys... Pinball is bad too, don't get me wrong... Numerous resets on this game... Snowflake got SUPER DUPER lucky to set the TG record only playing one game on the tape. That's AMAZING in itself..... 😮

Edited by Rickster8
Added a little more text.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hahahahaha 😂. I just tried another Q-Bert game.. Man it’s awful! You’re right! From a stand-still, you have to smash the disc for him to jump off the pyramid. He does better with momentum! And those two pink spiders… they move as if no pattern at all. Horrific graphics of the pink guys, and they “float” like ghosts right onto Q-Bert even if their momentum is going “to the left”… they take a 90 degree turn … hover for 10 seconds and float “upward” right on to Q-Bert. They’re not supposed to be programmed that way - according to the arcade version. In the arcade, the pink guys never hover. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

After Q*bert

40 - IntellivisionMaster

37 - Northcoastgamer

24 - fakecortex

Just gonna bask in the glory that is me in 3rd place until I inevitably plummet. And all thanks to Q*bert. THAT'S RIGHT. Haters gonna hate, but me and my stickler doin' jus fine... 🤣

Come on Coily, Bubble Gum Guys, and Cool Dude in Shades, we're outa here.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Just gonna bask in the glory that is me in 3rd place until I inevitably plummet. And all thanks to Q*bert. THAT'S RIGHT. Haters gonna hate, but me and my stickler doin' jus fine... 🤣

Come on Coily, Bubble Gum Guys, and Cool Dude in Shades, we're outa here.

LOL !!!! 😂 

Great on you Tex! LOL 😂 Congrats !!!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, IntellivisionMaster said:

LOL !!!! 😂 

Great on you Tex! LOL 😂 Congrats !!!

Btw… not hating on the Q… just I have no choice but to agree with my colleague that it needs a major overhaul! 

Hey maybe if I had a French 'Stickler' too, I'd do better, HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA 

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, wongojack said:

I love this game.  It is my favorite console pinball game of the so-called 2nd generation as it just edges out Bally Pin for me.  I'm pretty sure I've got a personal best over 200k, but all I could muster up tonight was 80,070

IntyPinball.thumb.jpg.926fd67ccff3449e7018e65dcbca1ae7.jpg

Great score and welcome to the Inty HSC.... 😁👍🍺

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Great score and welcome to the Inty HSC.... 😁👍🍺

Thanks, I am a lurker but am rarely able to commit to a HSC season.  On this one, I noticed you were the only one pushing the score up, so I thought I'd make second place a little closer

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Thanks, I am a lurker but am rarely able to commit to a HSC season.  On this one, I noticed you were the only one pushing the score up, so I thought I'd make second place a little closer

I needed a bounce back game as I got destroyed on Q*bert..... 🥺

• Haha 2

I noticed some are struggling.  I'm no expert, but here are a few tips from someone who actually likes this game and pinball in general.

First screen tips - Your first move should be to try and plunge the ball so it falls through either of the V-shaped alleys along the top of the screen.  I try to get it into the left alley, but the right is fine too.  Next you really should be trying to hit the ball into the left and right through holes.  These are about an inch above the 1x and 00 in my picture above.  Hitting into these holes adds a kickback to the corresponding outlanes and makes the first screen MUCH easier.  Next you want to advance to the 2nd screen, so just hit the ball through whichever alley you did not get from your plunge and an exit will appear in the top middle of the table.  Hit it in the exit hole and you are on to screen 2.

Like most 70's era pinball machines, this game gives you a big reward on the end of ball bonus and that is the real secret of turning a low score into a medium score.  To drive up the end of ball counter (00 in picture above), you can hit the long string of drop targets on the far left side of the first screen and the 4 drop targets on the upper left side of the second screen.  To drive up the end of ball multiplier, you can clear ALL the drop targets on the far left side of the first screen and spell "Pinball" on the second screen.  There is also a way to activate the multiplier on the 3rd screen, but I can't remember what it is.  To get to the third screen hit the 2 drop targets on the right side of the second screen playfield and an exit hole will appear in the top middle.  The third screen has TONS of ways to rack up high scores.  This is where my memory fails me, but if you stay on the 3rd screen for more than 100 seconds, you will probably break 100k.

Looking at some of the photos, I expect a 4:3 aspect ratio is going to improve things for you on this.  You don't want those outlanes any bigger than they need to be - lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I noticed some are struggling.  I'm no expert, but here are a few tips from someone who actually likes this game and pinball in general.

First screen tips - Your first move should be to try and plunge the ball so it falls through either of the V-shaped alleys along the top of the screen.  I try to get it into the left alley, but the right is fine too.  Next you really should be trying to hit the ball into the left and right through holes.  These are about an inch above the 1x and 00 in my picture above.  Hitting into these holes adds a kickback to the corresponding outlanes and makes the first screen MUCH easier.  Next you want to advance to the 2nd screen, so just hit the ball through whichever alley you did not get from your plunge and an exit will appear in the top middle of the table.  Hit it in the exit hole and you are on to screen 2.

Like most 70's era pinball machines, this game gives you a big reward on the end of ball bonus and that is the real secret of turning a low score into a medium score.  To drive up the end of ball counter (00 in picture above), you can hit the long string of drop targets on the far left side of the first screen and the drop targets on the left side of the second screen.  The second screen also lets you increase the counter by adding letters in the center section (I think) and hitting the drop targets on the right side.  To drive up the end of ball multiplier, you can spell "Pinball" on the second screen, but it is really the 3rd screen where the multipliers rack up.  To get to the third screen hit the 2 drop targets on the right side of the second screen playfield and an exit hole will appear in the top middle.  The third screen has TONS of ways to rack up high scores.  This is where my memory fails me, but if you stay on the 3rd screen for more than 100 seconds, you will probably break 100k.

Looking at some of the photos, I expect a 4:3 aspect ratio is going to improve things for you on this.  You don't want those outlanes any bigger than they need to be - lol

All great advice, problem with the 3rd screen is it's super hard to get there and even harder to stay there. There are bumpers at the top of the third screen if you can somehow get up there you will rack up points, but I've only gotten up there maybe 5 times in my life. It's ridiculously hard..... 😔😵

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 1

Thanks @wongojack !!! I was just starting to figure some of those out. I figured out that the white eye comes out due to the V alleys but it hardly ever came out.   I didn’t know you need both sides activated.  I also had just figured out how to get the white kickers from going through the tunnels. You’re right… without them, my game is over in 45 seconds. Thanks for the tips! I could have used them two days ago! :) :) 36,000 here I come !!!

• Like 1