IGNORED

400 Speaker Placement?

bfollowell

I was gifted an Atari 400 about a year ago. I've been working on restoring it. It no longer had the internal speaker, so I ordered one, and some other needed parts from Brad at Best a while back. I finally start tinkering with it last week, and I really can't tell where the speaker is supposed to go our how it's supposed to mount. I can get the general are from some of the tech/repair manual scans I have, but it's not like there seems to be a mount or a specific spot or any way to really hold it in place well. Does anyone have any good pictures of how it's supposed to mount inside the case? Thanks.

25 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I was gifted an Atari 400 about a year ago. I've been working on restoring it. It no longer had the internal speaker, so I ordered one, and some other needed parts from Brad at Best a while back. I finally start tinkering with it last week, and I really can't tell where the speaker is supposed to go our how it's supposed to mount. I can get the general are from some of the tech/repair manual scans I have, but it's not like there seems to be a mount or a specific spot or any way to really hold it in place well. Does anyone have any good pictures of how it's supposed to mount inside the case? Thanks.

@bfollowell I had exactly the same question when I was restoring a 400 (my dad's original 400). Unlike the 800 - where there is a clear moulded recess for it - all it appears the 400's speaker was held onto the inside of the casing with was a doube sided sticky fixer. 

I recall it was a bit of trial and error trying to adhere it to the inside of the casing near where it connected to the PCB without it stopping the casing from closing.

Best advice I can offer in the absence of any pics or schematics is to get a strong circular double side sticky fixer and perhaps remove half of the sitcky back paper on the side that will stick to the casing. Place it on the casing and experiment until it closes. Then stick it down properly. Goes without saying but using superglue here is a no no heh heh!:D

Might be worth scouring YouTube for any Atari 400 dissassembly vids where you can catch a glipse of it in situ also?

Edited by Beeblebrox

5 hours ago, griff3125 said:

This might help.....

Index of /wp-content/gallery/atari-400-pal-uk

And then there's this -3:07 shows the speaker.....

The picture really helped, because it looks similar to what is shown in some of the technical manuals. The video, unfortunately, wasn't really helpful because the speaker is just loose and sliding around inside the case. Those case pillars/supports sort of hold it in place, but like @Beeblebrox mentioned, I really think some thick double-sided tape will be called for to really keep it from sliding all over.

Again, thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

• Like 1