IGNORED

Disassembled Frenzy, mostly cleaned and GREAT

Captain Cozmos

I busted some buns on this, took me two days and many attempts but I am getting really good.

Frenzy, my 5th version before a release.

This is extremely worked on.

I identified the sound data, pattern data, object pointers, controller setup.

So, if you study the code you can get a sense of how to move little dudes around the screen

This is why I wanted to work heavily on this.

Sooner or later I want to make something with the freedom from just a few sprites.

You have to admit that Frenzy uses objects, Smurf uses objects, almost all in house Coleco games USE OBJECTS yet it's a dying art with little to no examples in Z80 Assembly.

Anyway,  This still needs cleaning.  I could have used $7000 or 7000H for the Ram use and this would have compiled with no issues.  I set definitions in order to group objects together in order to study them so they are currently tied to the pointer in the beginning.

At some point I would like to use DS for all the ram in order to have a more generic and portable code.

So in theory you could take this, update the BIOS routines and Ports then compile it for the MSX 1 or compatible.  YOUR WELCOME!!!!
I've seen how the Colecovision games have been ported to MSX.  The whole rom is put inside some kind of wrapper like it's emulated.

In any case,

Here is the asm file.

Compile with TNIASM, drag and drop or through the CLI/Dos Prompt.
Padded with $FF to 24k

I also left the header to skip the BIOS wait.  You can change it back if you want.
It is clean but not as commented as it should be.

FRENZY V5.asm

Edited by Captain Cozmos
  • Like 2