IGNORED

Are there any step by step instructions on how to put an external Ultrasatan inside a Mega Ste?

Zap!

I'm sure it's been covered, but I couldn't find anything in a quick search. I've read that it can be done, but I haven't seen any videos or even instructions on how to specifically do it. While the setup I have now works fine, I'd prefer to put it in the hard drive cabinet to the right, and if possible have it powered on its own. Can that be done? I'm pretty sure I have an Ultrasatan cable lying around somewhere too that I bought years ago for this very purpose.

20220812_003549.jpg

Don't know about some step by step type instructions, WEB page about it.

In any case the whole thing is not so complicated. Getting +5V from somewhere is really easy - like at those ceramic capacitors near to ICs - they are usually between GND and +5V (filtering).  Of course should check it on schematic, with voltage/ohm meter.

All lines leading to ACSI connector are accessible inside, it just needs some time to trace them - with help of schematic will be faster.

If no internal hard disk usage in plan, may even remove internal adapter. If it is present at all. But then you must have those jumpers at connector for internal adapter.

And indiscrete question: how you will replace SD cards ?

20 minutes ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Don't know about some step by step type instructions, WEB page about it.

In any case the whole thing is not so complicated. Getting +5V from somewhere is really easy - like at those ceramic capacitors near to ICs - they are usually between GND and +5V (filtering).  Of course should check it on schematic, with voltage/ohm meter.

All lines leading to ACSI connector are accessible inside, it just needs some time to trace them - with help of schematic will be faster.

If no internal hard disk usage in plan, may even remove internal adapter. If it is present at all. But then you must have those jumpers at connector for internal adapter.

And indiscrete question: how you will replace SD cards ?

Thank you for your help, but unfortunately that's beyond my understanding. I follow instructions extremely well with step by steps, but when words like "ceramic capacitors near to ICs" and "lines leading to ACSI connector" and "jumpers" are thrown around...yeah I need pictures. :)

I can remove the HD, I disconnected it anyway when I got it. As for how to replace the SD cards when it's inside, the cover easily comes off (where the HD is, on the far right).

• Like 1

Yeah, I expected that raising cover is the solution 🙂

As for guide with pics or video - that needs lot of time to make it, hours.  And people usually have what to do. That would look little different in case of many people interested.

There is saying 'Help yourself and God will help you' - search for ceramic capacitors.  ACSI connector (really not knowing it ?) or worse - jumpers ...  All it is pretty well known in computer people, Atari ST waters.

Someone with experience could do all wiring in half hours. That includes watching schematic too.

I'm not sure about a "step by step" guide either, but it's not

too hard to do.

Several users here, including myself have done so. You will

need Lotharek's adapter:

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=49

I removed the old HD and used stand-offs to mount the

internal US in mine. I've seen pictures of several different

methods to mount them in the hard drive bay.

You also have to make a small modification to the internal

US to get the LED signal to work right with the original

HD LED in the hard drive bay. Again, it's not too difficult.

There are some pictures in this thread that you can use

for reference:

Pages 6/7 or so on have a lot of pictures, including my Mega STe and

internal US setup.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask any questions - someone here

will jump in and help!  :)

Thank you guys! Actually I have that Lotharek's adapter. I ordered it about 4 years ago, then put it aside and never used it. Now I just have to find it! That's no easy task if you know me, as I have draws and bags full of old computer cables and hardware. :D

I'm going to look for it in a little while. Once it's found, I will check those links and all of the info that both of you provided. I'm curious as to if I'll have to remove the Ultrasatan's casing. I guess I'll find out soon enough, haha.

2 hours ago, Zap! said:

Thank you guys! Actually I have that Lotharek's adapter. I ordered it about 4 years ago, then put it aside and never used it. Now I just have to find it! That's no easy task if you know me, as I have draws and bags full of old computer cables and hardware. :D

I'm going to look for it in a little while. Once it's found, I will check those links and all of the info that both of you provided. I'm curious as to if I'll have to remove the Ultrasatan's casing. I guess I'll find out soon enough, haha.

Not sure about that. I bought and installed the "internal Ultrasatan" model from Lotharek,

for my Mega STe.

If it doesn't fit in as is, then you'll just have to take it apart and go from there. Let us know

how things go.   :)

13 minutes ago, MasterMotorola said:

While it is not an Ultrasatan, I did a case mod and installed a CosmosEx unit inside my TT030 so that the ports are at the rear.  I have been planning on taking pictures and writing a guide so other users could do the same but things are just a little busy right now.

Please do, I'd be interested in seeing what and how you did it, in case I

might want to do something similar to my Mega STe/US setup. I have to

admit, opening and closing the hard drive bay every time I want to swap

a card gets a little tedious.  :)

8 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

I have to admit, opening and closing the hard drive bay every time I want to swap

a card gets a little tedious.  :)

It's been like 5 years, but doesn't the bay just pop right up if the one screw underneath has been removed? I see no reason to leave the screw in, since the MSTe isn't getting moved around.

Anyway, look what I just found! I seriously bought that at least 4 or 5 years ago, and it's been sitting in my draw ever since lol. Now, time to work on installing...

20220812_153740.jpg

1 minute ago, Zap! said:

It's been like 5 years, but doesn't the bay just pop right up if the one screw underneath has been removed? I see no reason to leave the screw in, since the MSTe isn't getting moved around.

Yes, that's right. It's just a little awkward for these 60 year old hands to swap that card out.  :)