IGNORED

Looking for a Homebrew Development Team for RPG on Super Nintendo - Paid

Starwander

There has been some confusion about this post with the perception we are looking for free services or not to pay people. This is not true the project has 100% of its funding secured and we are able and willing to pay for people's work. We do not need to sell the product to recoup the investment and do not need additional capital ever. We are doing this as a test of concept and for the enjoyment of it. We can spend the resources needed to develop an interesting game with some really cool tech that hasn't been done before. Its a serious opportunity. While the founder hasn't really been into the game market before he has started several very large and successful companies. His largest being https://iohk.io/en/. I agree its very early in the process; however it is why we are attempting to bring in someone with extensive experience to help flesh out the design and help bring in the right additional talent. 

We are starting a game company that will develop RPGs for retro gaming consoles. We have some ideas about a game that would be very interesting for us to play however this is our first foray into making an actual game. We are interested in starting discussions with individuals with extensive experience in the homebrew field that can help design and implement a homebrew project. We are definitely interested in trying to push the boundaries of what the Super Nintendo can do as far as possible even to the point of designing custom hardware if necessary to expand their abilities.

We are interested in building a historically accurate RPG set in medieval Europe around the 14th century that incorporates elements of magic and fantasy. We want to have multiple different endings for the game and to have choices the characters can make that actually make meaningful differences. We are definitely realistic that the market for brand-new video games for such an older console isn't exactly robust but we fully intend to self-finance the project and bring it to fruition. We are willing to hire people to help bring this project to light. Preferably if you have had extensive experience from previous projects we could hire you as a project lead and then build the team around you with writers, artists, programmers, etc. 

If you have extensive experience please reach out to me and I would love to talk with you. This is certainly a paid position and we could talk about different variations of what that could look like. Hopefully, we could design and build the game in about a year to a year and a 1/2 but will have to take it day by day. Our goal would be to use this as a launch title to build additional titles. Also if you have an interesting game design that you'd be interested in making that isn't a role-playing game we might be interested in financing the development of that project.

I mean this as constructive criticism as I'm always happy to see paid roles being made avaliable, but I do feel like there isn't much here yet, there seems to be a vague plan of a snes game that pushes hardware to its limit,  fair enough and it follows through the homebrew mentality, but a RPG as a first game is a great undertaking. There is a reason we are seeing progression of systems like Jaguar go from simple arcade experience gameplay in the past to the more advanced RPG and puzzle platform style games in the last few years and upcoming. 

I wonder if you have considered releasing the rom onto sites like steam as a possible main income stream - games like tanglewood for the mega drive is wonderful but ultimately most people have probably bought the pc version (in this case, doing so gives you the rom to play on romcart for original console too). This might help long term in recovering your self financing if you have a decent plan of making it back. I did try to find out if there is any numbers of snes homebrew releases but it's a bit lacking. Many 2nd gen games sold on this site seem to hit between 200-500 copies,  I assume that 4th gen consoles might hope to double that but its not a huge amount of income to be made at the end without additional ways of revenue making due to the cost of production and shipping. Steams 30% cut may seem steep but if you get double the online sales over hardware sales, it may well make more profit. 

Have you made a business plan outlining your funding stream and projected income? This would be something I would be interested in seeing alongside your vision. People mock the atari box and amico PowerPoint presentations but this is pretty standard, it's not about having a complex design document (that can be for the actual team to direct work streams!) but giving quick facts and ideas that rope people into a project whether that is investor's or potential staff.

I have advice regarding the paid roles thing but I will message this privately. 

I wish you the best of luck, snes rpgs are some of my favourites. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

I mean this as constructive criticism as I'm always happy to see paid roles being made avaliable, but I do feel like there isn't much here yet, there seems to be a vague plan of a snes game that pushes hardware to its limit,  fair enough and it follows through the homebrew mentality, but a RPG as a first game is a great undertaking. There is a reason we are seeing progression of systems like Jaguar go from simple arcade experience gameplay in the past to the more advanced RPG and puzzle platform style games in the last few years and upcoming. 

I wonder if you have considered releasing the rom onto sites like steam as a possible main income stream - games like tanglewood for the mega drive is wonderful but ultimately most people have probably bought the pc version (in this case, doing so gives you the rom to play on romcart for original console too). This might help long term in recovering your self financing if you have a decent plan of making it back. I did try to find out if there is any numbers of snes homebrew releases but it's a bit lacking. Many 2nd gen games sold on this site seem to hit between 200-500 copies,  I assume that 4th gen consoles might hope to double that but its not a huge amount of income to be made at the end without additional ways of revenue making due to the cost of production and shipping. Steams 30% cut may seem steep but if you get double the online sales over hardware sales, it may well make more profit. 

Have you made a business plan outlining your funding stream and projected income? This would be something I would be interested in seeing alongside your vision. People mock the atari box and amico PowerPoint presentations but this is pretty standard, it's not about having a complex design document (that can be for the actual team to direct work streams!) but giving quick facts and ideas that rope people into a project whether that is investor's or potential staff.

I have advice regarding the paid roles thing but I will message this privately. 

I wish you the best of luck, snes rpgs are some of my favourites. 

Thank you for your post. I will say that this initial project is intended as a test of concept for us and has already been funded by the backer fully. We do not need to sell the game to recoup the initial investment or to raise additional funds to develop the project. 

There has been some confusion about this post with the perception we are looking for free services or not to pay people. This is not true the project has 100% of its funding secured and we are able and willing to pay for people's work. We do not need to sell the product to recoup the investment and do not need additional capital ever. We are doing this as a test of concept and for the enjoyment of it. We can spend the resources needed to develop an interesting game with some really cool tech that hasn't been done before. Its a serious opportunity. While the founder hasn't really been into the game market before he has started several very large and successful companies. His largest being https://iohk.io/en/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Speaking about a game development team to make snes rpg games, i do wonder This,we all know that the snes ppu cannot do sprite scaling,rotation etc,, or polygon rendering etc,,, on it’s own,BUT i do know that it can be done via the cpu trough software ,BUT. I do wonder, if i want to do sprite scaling or polygon rendering trough software via cpu,for a rpg game for instance,do i need to use DMA for that?

do other systems also require dma to do things trough software wich the ppu of those hardware systems cannot do on their own???

i ask this because the snes dma has limited bandwide to only process stuff at 200x160 resolution at 30fps at full color depth or it can process stuff at 160x144 pixels at 60fps with only 2bit color depth etc,,,

so the snes dma bandwide is very limited and so that’s why am asking this,

thanks alot.

• Confused 2