IGNORED

Do I need a UAV to fix this ?

Ricky Spanish

@bob1200xl does the 100pf (C60) simply limit frequency response in the Luma amplifier that follows?  If so I can definitely see how that would minimize jail bars which are a higher frequency effect, but wouldn't it also take the crispness out of the image, making text look soft and almost out of focus?

Edit: on further thought 100pf isn't much, so whatever filtering occurred would be minimal.

Got my Hercules Workshop Atari color video cable (composite video) - 800 XL XE (shielded) (6 foot) today. It definitely helped with the colour bleed through. The video in post No.1, all lines are now crisp (no bleeding) but the multi-colour remains.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Got my Hercules Workshop Atari color video cable (composite video) - 800 XL XE (shielded) (6 foot) today. It definitely helped with the colour bleed through. The video in post No.1, all lines are now crisp (no bleeding) but the multi-colour remains.

If you're using composite video, the "multi-colour" issues will always be there.  The only way to not have that is with s-video (or RGB).

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to try returning the 100pf capacitor to C60 to see if the jailbars would be diminished.  On my test, the presence of or absence of C60 does not see to show a difference wrt jailbars (see photos).

DSC05561.thumb.JPG.53c2329b93a5c48fbbb0308eb2622fea.JPG

This is without C60 installed (i.e. open)

DSC05557.thumb.JPG.21758308496db86a6e15ae199cc141a0.JPG

This is with a 100pf capacitor installed at C60

Don't know how good the pictures will show, but in realtime, I could not tell that the presence of C60 made any difference.  The intensity of the jailbars appeared unchanged. You mileage may vary. Anyone else try this?

And yes, I used the Hercules cable direct to an S-video monitor.

Edited by ACML

2 minutes ago, ACML said:

Have you tried using S-Video?

Don't have or can find anything S-video other the my 60" plasma. But using that for my 1200 is out of the question.

I generally have no complaints with the CRT other than some color bleeding. (see vid in post #1).

On 8/15/2022 at 8:24 PM, Rybags said:

It's NTSC artifacting caused by the hires video signal being interpreted as colour information when using RF or composite video input.

You need to use S-video.

2 problems though - some devices actually combine it into composite which will still produce artifacting, and S-video is pretty dead as a standard and not included on TVs these days.

I bought a s-video to HDMI convert off of Amazon for $40. Does a good job... it also does composite, but s-video is a lot sharper.  I'm amazed composite lasted longer for new sets (though many models require an adapter cable going from 3.5mm 3-lead male connector to the individual composite/l-audio/r-audio female RCA jacks rather than direct connections... )

4 hours ago, CommodoreDecker said:

I bought a s-video to HDMI convert off of Amazon for $40. Does a good job...

Care to post a pic of the 'ready prompt' screen & the ram/rom screen in the self tester with your HDMI convertor ? I want to compare it to mine, thanks. 

On 9/27/2022 at 4:28 AM, ACML said:

The ClearPic2002 mod has the pickoff point for chroma "Add a wire from the junction of R27 and C61 to J2-5 (the empty pin on the video DIN connector)".  I don't know if you have to complete the ClearPic2002 mod for this to be a good point.

So as per above instruction. Acml's pic shows location of the r27 and c61. A wire from those to pin 5 of the din.