IGNORED

Touchdown Challenge (Revisited)

This one took a little longer, so just one more for this morning for the Jacksonville Jaguars.  The graphic is really large for this one because I just couldn't make it look right at a smaller resolution.

I'm also including a few screenshots of my workflow for doing this, just in case anyone is curious about that.  I'm using the Tiled application to create the background playfield map and including the team logos within that.  Doing it that way means I can add the team logos without having to add any additional image files and I'm out of space in the 48k ROM for any additional graphics. 

I'm using my graphics-tool-of-choice Gimp to create and edit the graphics.  After all these years I still start with the yellow and brown samples that Mike includes with the 7800basic distribution, and simply change the colors later within the code.  I create a new graphic for the logo and then cut and paste individual 8x16 tiles into the existing graphic files for the game.  The files are named "Football_Tiles<1-6>.png" if anyone would like to create their own or change the existing files for a custom logo.  With that said I just checked and saw I never shared the graphics library for this game. :) I'll clean up that folder sometime soon and put it in the first post.

TC_Jaguars.png

TC_Jaguars_Workflow1.png

TC_Jaguars_Workflow2.png

Touchdown_Challenge_Jaguars_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Jaguars_v2.19.bin

• Like 3

3 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Pretty awesome that you are making these.   Thank you for sharing them as well.   Any plans to make an eagles version in the future?   

Thanks! And as Silver Back pointed out, I already made an eagles version.  Just FYI for anyone else reading this, I am updating the first post on this thread with all of the NFL Team Logo versions. 

Below are the teams that are NOT done yet. 14 to go!

Las Vegas Raiders
Los Angeles Chargers
Los Angeles Rams
Miami Dolphins
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
New York Giants
New York Jets
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tennessee Titans
Washington Commanders

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Four more teams completed today.  The New York Giants, New York Jets, Washington Commanders and Los Angeles Chargers are done.

I now have the following teams remaining to complete:

Las Vegas Raiders
Los Angeles Rams
Miami Dolphins
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tennessee Titans

TC_Jets.png

TC_Giants.png

TC_Chargers.png

TC_Commanders.png

Touchdown_Challenge_Jets_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Jets_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Commanders_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Commanders_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Giants_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Giants_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Chargers_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Chargers_v2.19.bin

• Like 2

On 11/17/2022 at 4:07 PM, Atarius Maximus said:

HaHa.  Yeah, I'm not creating these in any particular order, and I can get to the Browns in the next batch.  A few teams like Tampa Bay could be pretty tricky to pull off due to the level of detail in the logo, the browns should be pretty easy though. ;)

These are awesome.  Here's a stretch target for the Browns:

See the source image

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wongojack said:

These are awesome.  Here's a stretch target for the Browns:

See the source image

I did a quick conversion in GIMP, scaled it to 64x84 pixels and cleaned it up a bit.  It looks like it would be possible, and it would look something like this...

BrownsAltLogo.png

• Like 2

Four more completed today:  Tennessee Titans, Las Vegas Raiders, Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers.

I now have the following teams remaining to complete:

Los Angeles Rams
Miami Dolphins
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
Pittsburgh Steelers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

TC_Seahawks.png

TC_49ers.png

TC_Raiders.png

TC_Titans.png

Touchdown_Challenge_49ers_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_49ers_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Raiders_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Raiders_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Titans_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Titans_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Seahawks_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Seahawks_v2.19.bin

• Like 5

Whew!  I'm finally done with all of the teams.  This final update is for the Los Angeles Rams, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  

Here's all of the Graphics files for compiling the game:  Touchdown_Challenge_Gfx.zip

Here's the Source Code for version 2.19:   Touchdown_Challenge_v2.19.bas

If you want to make any changes to a specific team and compile this yourself:

1. Extract the Touchdown_Challenge_Gfx.zip file to a subfolder in your 7800basic directory.  The default in the source code is "\gfx_football", if it's different than that you'll have to update the source code with a new 'set basepath'.

2. Find the team graphics file you'd like to edit or change (<TeamName>_Football_Tiles.zip), and extract that file and overwrite the files in the graphics directory with those.

3. Edit the files with your favorite graphics editor.

4. Load the TMX file with the Tiled Map Editor and place the tiles where you'd like them.  Each set of graphics files is unique, so a new TMX file will have to be created for each team on the fly.  The file is included in the graphics zip file and is named "football_field.tmx".

5. Open the default source code file.

6. Find the Color table and Change P7C1 for the main logo color

Code1.png

7. Find the Background color setting and change that for the background color and secondary logo color.

code2.png

8. Compile!

TC_Vikings.png

TC_Steelers.png

TC_Buccaneers.png

TC_Patriots.png

TC_Rams.png

TC_Dolphins.png

Touchdown_Challenge_Buccaneers_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Buccaneers_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Patriots_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Patriots_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Rams_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Rams_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Dolphins_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Dolphins_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Vikings_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Vikings_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Steelers_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Steelers_v2.19.bin

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

I was having a problem with my AtariVox last year and I just recently received a new one from Al.  Because I didn't have one last year, I didn't add any AtariVox features to the games I worked on last year. Now that I have one and have the ability to test speech I've made some updates to this game. 

Wow, it's really time consuming to test speech since I have to recompile and test on real hardware with every minor change.  I'm not going to call this enhanced version complete yet as I'll probably make some more changes.  As it stands now I've added the following to this version:

The game announces "Are you ready for some football?" when it starts up.

It speaks "Touchdown Challenge" at the title screen.

It speaks "Press Right Fire to Start" when it's paused at the beginning of a new game.

During gameplay the following phrases are spoken when appropriate: "Touchdown", "Out of Bounds", "Incomplete Pass", "Tackled", "Game Over", and "Interception".

It would be fairly easy to add high score saving as well, but that's it for now. :) Enjoy.

Touchdown_Challenge_v2.21.a78

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SlidellMan said:

Wow, you have made a football game that is better than the past ten years of Madden NFL games. By the way, when I took your source code and compiled the ROM, the menu screen ends up all garbled. (I'm also studying your menu code to make my own game menus.)

Thanks. I noticed that too on the code, as I downloaded it from this thread on a different PC when I was working on it today. Just change ‘set doublewide off’ to ‘set doublewide on’ and that will fix it. Why that little change was made before I posted it I have no idea, I don’t remember.  

I can probably help with your menu if you want to discuss via PM, or at least answer questions about how I’ve done it in the past.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Atarius Maximus said:

I was having a problem with my AtariVox last year and I just recently received a new one from Al.  Because I didn't have one last year, I didn't add any AtariVox features to the games I worked on last year. Now that I have one and have the ability to test speech I've made some updates to this game. 

Wow, it's really time consuming to test speech since I have to recompile and test on real hardware with every minor change.  I'm not going to call this enhanced version complete yet as I'll probably make some more changes.  As it stands now I've added the following to this version:

The game announces "Are you ready for some football?" when it starts up.

It speaks "Touchdown Challenge" at the title screen.

It speaks "Press Right Fire to Start" when it's paused at the beginning of a new game.

During gameplay the following phrases are spoken when appropriate: "Touchdown", "Out of Bounds", "Incomplete Pass", "Tackled", "Game Over", and "Interception".

It would be fairly easy to add high score saving as well, but that's it for now. :) Enjoy.

Touchdown_Challenge_v2.21.a78 48.13 kB · 4 download

Maybe you could add in an Easter egg phrase or two with the Atari vox.  Like if you score a bunch of touchdowns in a row it says "Boom goes the dynamite" and if you can't score at all and the games nearly over it says "maybe you should try baseball".   Or even something that's harder to trigger. 

Either way I love getting to hear the Atari vox work so when I get home I'm definitely gonna try "Atarius Maximus' Sports Talk Touchdown Challenge"

• Like 1