IGNORED

Touchdown Challenge (Revisited)

I created two new versions of the game that use the NFL Logos for the Kansas City Chiefs and the Buffalo Bills.  I may start adding additional NFL teams, but this is relatively time consuming so it'll take a while.  There isn't room to make these selectable from within the game, it will have to be a separate binary for each team.

TC_Bills.png

TC_Chiefs.png

Touchdown_Challenge_Bills_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Bills_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Chiefs_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Chiefs_v2.19.bin

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

One more for tonight, here's the Chicago Bears.  I'll try to have a larger block of them completed for the next time.  I won't keep adding a new post for every single team.

I'm not sure yet if I'll have the motivation to do all 32 teams. :)

TC_Bears.png

Touchdown_Challenge_Bears_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Bears_v2.19.bin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Silver Back said:

It would be awesome if you could do my lions!  I know I'm probably the only Detroit fan on the forums but you would make one person very happy

You got it. :)  I followed the Lions when I lived in Michigan in the 1990's.

Here's four more revisions for the Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons and Indianapolis Colts.

TC_Colts.png

TC_Falcons.png

TC_GreenBay.png

TC_Lions.png

Touchdown_Challenge_Colts_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Colts_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Falcons_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Falcons_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_GreenBay_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_GreenBay_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Lions_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Lions_v2.19.bin

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoldenWheels said:

Goddamn I may have to get a cart of the Bills rom from the store! (if that is ok...I assume it is...given what happened when I bought my OLD ebay copy, I really want to be sure!)

Yes, I'm fine with you or anyone else having a custom cart made here from Al.   There aren't any random eBay sellers that I've given the "ok" to for any of my games, but not much I can do to prevent that.  The NFL logo games will never officially be in the store for obvious reasons.

I'm totally not a sports person, but I wonder what my Bills-loving son would think of that customized version. Maybe I can talk him into trying two-player mode with me. 🙂

He'll love it! ;)  I can't seem to convince my sons to play any Atari games with me.  They all prefer to kick my butt in Call Of Duty.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this! I downloaded and played Da' Bears' version today, but ran into some probs that I wonder if anyone else is experiencing. Ran both the .bin (complains of wrong header, but runs anyway) and .a78 files on Concerto w/ latest bios with errors and general flakiness all around. Can only play for a very short while (several seconds) before the game restarts itself randomly, goes to the title screen and give some graphical glitches/flickering on the field afterwards. Also when pressing Pause, screen flickers violently between b/w and color. Re-pressing Pause would resume as expected.

Oh, and a sliver of the bottom of the screen is chopped off. Not a huge deal, but it does affect the lettering. Here's a pic if you like: 

tdfootball.thumb.jpg.cb6c497113f4db6056e2120eff2a9e5c.jpg

54 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Thanks for this! I downloaded and played Da' Bears' version today, but ran into some probs that I wonder if anyone else is experiencing. Ran both the .bin (complains of wrong header, but runs anyway) and .a78 files on Concerto w/ latest bios with errors and general flakiness all around. Can only play for a very short while (several seconds) before the game restarts itself randomly, goes to the title screen and give some graphical glitches/flickering on the field afterwards. Also when pressing Pause, screen flickers violently between b/w and color. Re-pressing Pause would resume as expected.

Oh, and a sliver of the bottom of the screen is chopped off. Not a huge deal, but it does affect the lettering. Here's a pic if you'd like: 

Thanks for playing!  The .bin file is for the Cuttle Cart 2 (it doesn't have a header), the .a78 is for the Concerto (and other flash carts) and for emulation.  I just played Da Bears version via emulation and didn't have any issues, but haven't tried on real hardware.  I can give it a go later this evening.  I'm pretty sure I tried the most recent version (2.19) on real hardware back in August but my memory is failing me at the moment.

The screen is using 224 lines of vertical resolution, which is too much for some older CRT televisions and it gets cut off a bit at the top and bottom.  I needed every one of those 224 lines to fit everything on the screen so not much I can do about that issue, sorry about that.

Steve

Edit:  I did a quick play session with the Bears and didn't have any issues... using the a78 file on my Concerto cart.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Browns?  <blinky blinky>

HaHa.  Yeah, I'm not creating these in any particular order, and I can get to the Browns in the next batch.  A few teams like Tampa Bay could be pretty tricky to pull off due to the level of detail in the logo, the browns should be pretty easy though. ;)

• Like 1

I really enjoy this game. After reading the issues somebody had on concerto I tested my lions and the bears (boo) and other than a single instance of random crash it played with no issues. No artifacting or graphical glitches, plays how I remember it the last time.  Im using a concerto on a cart tv. 

It would be fun to get custom carts of this game. :)

14 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

I really enjoy this game. After reading the issues somebody had on concerto I tested my lions and the bears (boo) and other than a single instance of random crash it played with no issues. No artifacting or graphical glitches, plays how I remember it the last time.  Im using a concerto on a cart tv. 

It would be fun to get custom carts of this game. :)

Glad it worked for you.  I'm not sure about the crash you said you saw, that hasn't happened to me.  If you notice it again let me know what was happening just prior.  All of these NFL team logo versions are identical except for the graphics and colors, so if there's an issue with one it would affect all of them.

When the crash/reset happens for me, it's while I'm running upwards... using a Seagull78 and an el-cheapo (latest Chinese) Genesis 6-button controller btw. Said latest controller doesn't have the index finger switch to disable 6-button mode if that makes any difference. But boy, besides the short cable... I sure do love the feel of this controller!

33 minutes ago, Atarius Maximus said:

Glad it worked for you.  I'm not sure about the crash you said you saw, that hasn't happened to me.  If you notice it again let me know what was happening just prior.  All of these NFL team logo versions are identical except for the graphics and colors, so if there's an issue with one it would affect all of them.

I remember it was after a game over and I was pressing the button for the reset to the menu when it crashed to a black screen. To be fair I was pressing the button rapidly being impatient because I was short on time. 

I don't remember if right was to try again and left was for menu but I was pressing the one for menu. Happened once I did the same behavior again and couldn't duplicate my crash. 

Edited by Silver Back

1 hour ago, Silver Back said:

I remember it was after a game over and I was pressing the button for the reset to the menu when it crashed to a black screen. To be fair I was pressing the button rapidly being impatient because I was short on time. 

I don't remember if right was to try again and left was for menu but I was pressing the one for menu. Happened once I did the same behavior again and couldn't duplicate my crash. 

If you keep mashing the right button after a game is over it's definitely possible you'll accidently reset the game.  I put a brief countdown timer in the upper left that disables fire button presses for about 5 seconds when a game is over.  When you reset the game there is some graphic artifacting right before the game starts up again.  That wouldn't be mistaken for a crash if the game becomes unplayable without another reset, though.

2 hours ago, save2600 said:

When the crash/reset happens for me, it's while I'm running upwards... using a Seagull78 and an el-cheapo (latest Chinese) Genesis 6-button controller btw. Said latest controller doesn't have the index finger switch to disable 6-button mode if that makes any difference. But boy, besides the short cable... I sure do love the feel of this controller!

I'm really at a loss currently because I can't seem to reproduce the problem.  I played a few games with just running plays and it didn't happen to me.  I guess all I can do is keep playing and maybe it'll happen to me too.  That's a nice setup with a Seagull78 and a Genny controller, I had that same setup for a while until I got an Edladdin Super78 a while back.  I also have an original NES controller that was modded for the 7800, I got that so long ago I don't recall which AA member made that for me.  I'm not even sure where my Proline joysticks are it's been so many years since I've used them. :)

Glad you guys are enjoying the game!

Steve

Here's a few more new ones for this morning.  The Philadelphia Eagles and the New Orleans Saints.

TC_Eagles.png

TC_Saints.png

Touchdown_Challenge_Eagles_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Eagles_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Saints_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Saints_v2.19.bin

• Like 2

Wanted to give an update as I just got through with some more tests. These new 6-button Sega compatible pads are definitely to blame for all the wonkiness in your game @Atarius Maximus. I'm guessing its because you can't disable the 6-button mode like you can on genuine Sega controllers. Even tried holding in the 'Start' button at startup to see if that forced three button mode, but that didn't help. Rounded up a 3-button Genesis controller next and all is fine! Such a fun little game.  :)

Here's the offending controller in question: 

segac.thumb.jpg.b598a70d3f094e00ae261a9ceb2cb989.jpg

...got these recently on eBay, brand new from China. 2 for $12 shipped or something like that. Great feeling controller that plays well with every other game (home-brew and retail) I tried. Just causes all sorts of havoc with your game for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

Wanted to give an update as I just got through with some more tests. These new 6-button Sega compatible pads are definitely to blame for all the wonkiness in your game @Atarius Maximus. I'm guessing its because you can't disable the 6-button mode like you can on genuine Sega controllers. Even tried holding in the 'Start' button at startup to see if that forced three button mode, but that didn't help. Rounded up a 3-button Genesis controller next and and all is fine! Such a fun little game.  :)

Here's the offending controller in question: 

segac.thumb.jpg.b598a70d3f094e00ae261a9ceb2cb989.jpg

...got these recently on eBay, brand new from China. 2 for $12 shipped or something like that. Great feeling controller that plays well with every other game (home-brew and retail) I tried. Just causes all sorts of havoc with your game for whatever reason. 

I got a similar one once, and it turned out to actually have the mode button on the pcb, but there was no physical button on the outside.  Perhaps that one is the same and you could take some sort of action (Poke a hole?).

I never did anything with mine because I never found a situation where it mattered . . . until now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, save2600 said:

Wanted to give an update as I just got through with some more tests. These new 6-button Sega compatible pads are definitely to blame for all the wonkiness in your game @Atarius Maximus. I'm guessing its because you can't disable the 6-button mode like you can on genuine Sega controllers. Even tried holding in the 'Start' button at startup to see if that forced three button mode, but that didn't help. Rounded up a 3-button Genesis controller next and all is fine! Such a fun little game.  :)

Thanks for the update, save2600.  Happy to hear you found the source of the problem.  I have no idea why that is causing a problem with the game.

Here are four more revisions for the Arizona Cardinals, Cincinnati Bengals, Carolina Panthers, and the Houston Texans.  I'm about halfway through all of the teams now. :)

TC_Cardinals.png

TC_Bengals.png

TC_Panthers.png

TC_Texans.png

Touchdown_Challenge_Cardinals_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Cardinals_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Bengals_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Bengals_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Panthers_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Panthers_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Texans_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Texans_v2.19.bin

• Like 3

Here's three more, for the Denver Broncos, Baltimore Ravens, and Dallas Cowboys.  I'm also going to start updating the first post in this thread with all of these so no one has to look all over the thread to find them.  I'm starting on some of the more difficult ones next... man the Jacksonville Jaguars logo is going to be really difficult to pull off with the level of detail it has.  I'm struggling a bit with that one.  I'm trying to keep them at 64x48 pixels or less, but the ravens and broncos logos needed to be a little bit wider to make them look good.  

The images are baked into the background tiles, so they need to use the same three colors as the playfield and the background color (black).  I've just been choosing one primary color for each team for the logo and making the hash marks on the field that same color.  It's working out pretty well so far.

TC_Broncos.png

TC_Ravens.png

TC_Cowboys.png

Touchdown_Challenge_Broncos_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Broncos_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Ravens_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Ravens_v2.19.bin Touchdown_Challenge_Cowboys_v2.19.a78 Touchdown_Challenge_Cowboys_v2.19.bin

• Like 5