IGNORED

New game in development for 1MByte FlashCart

analmux

Since I heard of the flashcarts that are available now, I'm planning to make a supergame available on cart for the A8bit. It surely inspired me. Thanks to mr. Classics ;)

-The minimum size (of the flashcart) needed will be 1 MB(yte).

-The concept of the game is platform-based (scrolling) like Super Mario/Sonic the hedgehog.

-It will make use of the highest possible quality of gfx and sound. So many (scrolled!) MCS and software sprites will be used.

-Graphics is pseudo-font-based (charmode gr. 12) that means: font-based without the 128-characters-in-a-font-restriction.

-Sound is based on 600 updates per second for high-complex sound.

-minimum system requirements: 64 kB ram, XL/XE series, GTIA

I'll develop some demos that will be finished at the end of 2003. I think the whole game might (at earliest) be complete at the end of 2004.

Actually, I'm working on the scrolling MCS demo, which is working in turbobasic now, but must be translated to Machine Code.

I'd really like to hear some reactions/comments...

-----

mux

Wow!!! Cool indeed!! Please don't stop this project as it could be really superb stuff! 8) It's great there are still people willing to do amazing things for A8 out there !

Well, are you gonna do that game only by yourself ???

A lot of work and skills it could take, IMHO. :roll:

Good luck with the game. Even if you can only do half the things mentioned, it sounds really exciting.

Good idea to use the flash cart. (Glad I just ordered one!) Once you have the code written for that, it shouldn't be too hard to convert it to MegaCart format as well, so emulator users could play too.

@ Goochman

Excellent - Make it more than 4 colors and Ill buy a Super Mario clone for the 8bit

It'll contain 9 colors (every tile-row). You won't have to buy the game, as it will be freeware, downloadable from my website (under construction :D ).

I'll make it in several versions:

-disk-version: 4 * 260 kB floppys

-megacart version

-flashcart version

Note: the disk version won't be that annoying (like Alternate Reality in which you must swap disks every minute :x ), the game will be divided in worlds, which need a floppy side.

@ Dracon

Well, are you gonna do that game only by yourself ???

A lot of work and skills it could take, IMHO

I'll try to code the whole game. I might use some art/music made by others, but the main idea, levels, main graphics/music/effects I'll make by myself.

I'll use XASM for the coding (thanks to TQA for making this cool tool ;) ).

A long time ago I wanted to make several games, but now the cart is available I'm thinking of combining all the ideas in one big supergame.

I must find a new name (I first wanted to call it "super mario" etc. etc. not very creative)

@ Sheddy

Good idea to use the flash cart. (Glad I just ordered one!) Once you have the code written for that, it shouldn't be too hard to convert it to MegaCart format as well, so emulator users could play too.

I'm afraid the Emulator won't be accurate enough for the programming techniques I'll use, but the extra effects (MCS + accurate DLI) might be turned on/off. But I'll have to try first.

@ Emkay

I have only one question:

How is it possible to help you in your develompent?

I think the best way to help me is giving opinions on demos I'll make and some feedback on playability and music/sound/gfx-quality etc.

I think I won't need any MCS tools or RMT as I'm writing my own musicplayer. (RMT uses too much cycles!!, sorry Raster :( )

I especially have to thank you Emkay for bringing up the idea of MCS. ;)

For this I'll make use of a very complicated font-driver. It's called the 'smartfont system' which I mentioned before.

Thanks to all of you replying for so far.

-----

mux

@ Sheddy

I'm afraid the Emulator won't be accurate enough for the programming techniques I'll use, but the extra effects (MCS + accurate DLI) might be turned on/off. But I'll have to try first.

I wouldn't worry about turning off features. By the time you're finished I'd be very disappointed if the major emulators didn't run it perfectly or almost perfectly. Cycle exact timing is already on Atari800 and Atari800++, albeit not perfect, and not on Pokey interrupts.

I think I won't need any MCS tools or RMT as I'm writing my own musicplayer. (RMT uses too much cycles!!, sorry Raster  :(  )

Yes, it's true, RMT uses a lot of CPU power.

I want to say only, that RMT is primary destined for comfortable making of complex standalone Atari music, no for music in very time critic applications. :)

Analmux, I'm looking forward and wish good luck to your ambitious project! We would need more of such active Atarians like you are! 8)

If you're going to do a scroller ala Mario and Sonic, why not have the character like Bently Bear and have foes like centipede's popping out, Yar's fly's buzzing you, and so forth and make it into an Atari-themed game perhaps???

Curt

Are those all atari-games?? I'd have to check them out, but I think originality is important. But, the whole game experience has a higher priority than just the enemies. Since I'm about to use the new (never used) techniques, I must design the game around the technique, not vice versa.

-----

mux

:D :D :D

I've looked through some Numen code and this night I tried to code my first program with XASM. Whoohooooo.. it's working. This day I started coding the first bit of the scrolling MCS demo.

I always used to just know the mnemonics and do the code in basic data statements without labels, but with this I can code 25 times faster.

Once again thanks to TQA for making XASM, and off course for publishing the Numen sourcecode.

-----

mux

@ Emkay

The carbage on the first screen is no bug. When you scroll further you'll see it disappears. Then scroll back and you'll see the normal color attributes.

It's just a bunch of random data I put in the colorbuffer at the start, just for some testing purposes before I implemented the levels color attributes.

-----

mux